Best Youtube Mondial Reviews | FerrariChat

Best Youtube Mondial Reviews

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Dec 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Incase you have not seen these yet, very informative on Mondials:

Ferrari Mondial review -Old Top Gear
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccm2L8krtcU[/ame]

Carjam: Ferrari Mondial T Cabriolet Valeo By Motorweek 1991
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJl3yxjay7U[/ame]

MW 1991: Ferrari Mondial T Coupe Road Test
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79GpEz1SYk[/ame]

1989 Ferrari Mondial T Cabriolet FOR SALE
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCkoprfPX8[/ame]

2. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob

The last video is the mondial t which I just sold to FWannabe1 which has been the subject matter of a recent thread detailing some leaks which arose/ were discovered after his receiving the car in L.A. from Miami.

I'm not sure whether he realizes it as yet, but he got a wonderful car for an incredibly reasonable price, nothwithstanding the leaks which sprouted!

Rob

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You have got to be kiddin me, that was one of the finest condition Mondials in the US.
    Wow, it kind of confirms my suspicions about a car that barely gets driven, things tend to wear out faster than the ones that get used more often. Hopefully "FWannabe1" will get it back on the road soon and all is forgiven.

4. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nope . . . I drove it weekly for the past 2 years and had put about 6000 miles on it. It was quite reliable. It had had a major $13K service by Ferrari about 2 years ago.

Buyer's leak problems upon receipt of the car were, from my perspective, coincidental - perhaps due to weather changes? - or just some ordingary wear and tear on rubber seals which were about to go. But, I had not had these problems in Miami. The car did sit for the last 4-5 weeks without being driven, but other than that was used regularly.

Rob

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think it was due to the weather changes from Miami to LA, both are warm climates. If you said Miami to Alaska, definitely! More so probably due to normal wear and tear, its just bad timing for FWannabe1, Rob, if you were to have driven it 10 miles in Miami, you would have gotten stuck with the problems! Its a 22 year old Ferrari, everytime I take mine out, I count my blessings that nothing happened! Cheers!

6. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You are probably correct. I just don't know . . . but as I've posted, I have a very anal and thorough mechanic and if he'd seen the problems with leaking I surely would have known, or it would have been clearly manifest when Buyer was with the mechanic peering at the underside with a flashlight while the car was on the lift for hours.
    I feel badly for Buyer, but hope he understands what an immaculate, well serviced and completely documented and great car he got - along with a great price.
    Happy Holidays!
    Rob

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
    Pure speculation on my part, but new Ferrari drivers tend to push the car as if its a newer model vehicle not knowing the threshold of a 20 year old Ferrari. What I mean is you might have been driving it fine in Miami because you keep the revs below the redline, let it properly warm up, etc and it would have seemed fine. Now what we do know is as soon as the new owner had it, drove it for 10 miles and holy moly, lots went wrong. Not sure how much abuse that car took in those 10 miles, but between the years of wear and tear and a rev away from seals busting and a new eager driver seeing what the Ferrari can do, I think the truth is somewhere in between.
    But since I was not there, don't know the owner and how he drives, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that it was not his fault and it was just bad luck! This is why I don't like to have just anyone test drive my Ferrari !

8. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I just bought mine, and while a few minor items, I chalk it up to that's the way it is. There is nothing to indicate any issues prior to turnover, and on 1 item the cropped up just before delivery, the seller gave me all the parts for the fix in case there was a real problem (he was not positive, dealing with sunroof, and we know how reliable they are!!!). I think 99.9% of the people here are upstanding, straight shooters, and I would say that includes Rob and my seller, Michael.

If there was an issue with Rob's car, I suspect he would have been complaining here. Never heard anything from him but love and adoration (surprised to read it was sold). So while I feel for the buyer, I think it is just one of those unlucky things. As someone else noted, at $2800, he is pretty lucky (and only F car people would think that!!).

Regards,
    Jerry

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Forza Friday: The 1989 Ferrari Mondial t Coupe Revealed

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhC8tDO4UX4]Forza Friday: The 1989 Ferrari Mondial t Coupe Revealed - YouTube[/ame]

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    That was fun.

I may have to drive mine next time I'm home.

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Liked it!!

But:
    1. No electronics other than ABS? How about adjustable suspension and power
    assisted steering?
    2. 7 year belt service "if done right"? I would like to know more about that, I haven't
    heard anyone go past 5 years.
    3. 87,000 miles and worth about $40k? Not yet, give it a few years!!!

Regards,
    Jerry

12. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Jerry,

All the other electronic goodies that we know to be on an 89, are there. He just didn't mention it.

As for the full on major service interval, last month we did Rachel's. When Eugenio pulled the old belt, it and the Hill bearings were in perfect condition - - after over seven years !!! :):)

Did you notice his full body paint work ? Rachel gets that this next week !!!! :):)

Cheers, Hank

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 soucorp, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Can't wait to see yours Hank.
    As for the belts, the guy in the video is correct, who does them makes a world of difference. I've seen a friend's cambelts already shredded after a few months of changing it. If done properly, these belts should have no problems lasting a good 10 years IMHO. Ferrari and other manufacturers suggest a sooner timeframe because, well, they're in business to make money, and service is a big part of that money machine. Having done my own belts, I can say that my old belts had plenty of life left and it amazes me the hearsays and misunderstandings of when the belts should be replaced. My answer is 'it depends', who what when and where factors!

Cheers

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    That shredded belt episode was like something from a TV horror series. Thank God, it got cancelled !!!

Cheers

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thought I'll share this, wish my Mondial sounded like this, Totally Awesome!

DtRockstar1 takes a ride in a spine chilling Ferrari 355 Spider fitted with a Stage 3 Capristo Exhaust, Fabspeed Headers, and Hyperflow catalytic converters costing $13k.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPmMf4FtmEI]Best Sounding Ferrari EVER!! - YouTube[/ame]