If I buy, which one is best for me? Help! | FerrariChat

If I buy, which one is best for me? Help!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by godabitibi, Feb 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Hi everybody! I've been looking for another car to replace a convertible I sold and my 308 engine is out for a rebuilt and I know it will not be back in for this summer since I'm also doing some cosmetics after 13 happy years of ownership. I have no specific choice and for this reason I consider many cars as a possibility(mercedes SL, SLK, Jags XK8 etc) as long as it has a ragtop. I looked at the 355 but are a little bit too expensive for me now if I don't want a loan. I have now start to look at Mondials and more I look and read more I like them.

From what I read of owners or ex-owners they seems to be loved and sometimes missed after they're gone. I live in a very far erea and do ALL the work myself on my cars. I like the look of later models like the 3.2 or T for the more modern bumbers. But for cost reasons and labour involved in the belt service I think the 3.2 wold be a better choice. There is a nice black and tan 85 on ebay with 21000 miles with fresh service which look like a good buy but the look is not the same. Does any of you know this car? I want Black or Red with tan interior. I'm absolutly not performance oriented on this car, just fun top down cruising.

Is a higher mileage car say 45K to 50k miles a bad choice?

All opinions welcome!

Thank you!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    2000 miles per year : shockingly excessive ! Also means less likely to have been clocked

3. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    You are absolutely right that the 3.2 is much easier for belt service. I'd say the 3.2 is easier than the T to work on for maintenance and repair in general. One difference to be aware of is that the T has power steering, the 3.2 does not. This matters to some people, but not at all to others.

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Take a real good look at the Scaledetails, blue 3.2 Cab, located in the FerrariAds section.

Cheers, Hank

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think the 88 3.2 with ABS is best you can get for the do it yourselfers. I have gotten use to the no power steering, and with the bigger wooden steering wheel upgrade I did, it handles much nicer! I don't think you can go wrong, just be prepared to work on the rear windows when the motors finally give up if they haven't yet!
    Cheers!

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Power steering is really not a problem for me. I'm used to my 308 and I like it. I've owned a 1971 Pantera all done up into group 5 with 285 in the front, nothing is hard compare to that car. And the clutch ouuffff!

Thank you guys!

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Hank, I just looked at scaledetails car. No doubt a very good looking car. If you told me to look at it with the mileage it has, I guess you answered my question about higher mileage cars. I will defenetly keep this car in mind as an option.

Thanks!

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Stephane (Scaledetails) takes care of biz. His Mondi didn't get that mileage by sitting in a garage while everything in it, dried up. I love the term, "well sorted" -------- and I believe it would apply in this case. It saves money in the long run.

Best of luck in the hunt. Do the research - ask the questions, any questions. Enjoy the process :)

Cheers, Hank

9. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    My Dec 87 3.2 (with ABS) has 100k miles now without serious problems. The motor is still running very strong. The 3.2 is very reliable is my impression.

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Awesome Jeka ! How about the chap that has, if my memory isn't all kaput, close to or over, 90k on his Enzo (from new). He obviously wants to drive it - not sell it :)

Cheers, Hank

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Hi Jeka, just wondering but do you do your own major service (especially Cambelts) ?
    That's the only thing I don't want to screw up and have bent valves, the rest of the major is not a big deal.

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Miles really aren't an issue. I purchased mine at 48K miles and put 18K more on it in 2.5 years.

From my experience and if you want to use it for the summer, find one that has had regular miles put on it over the last few years and has had a belt service in the last couple years. You should have something you can drive for a couple years with no issues.

They really are great cars. It's only a lightly modernized version of what you have.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    There is a 1990 Mondial T for sale with 48k on it. The major service was done 7000 miles ago in 2007. It time for new belts again. I drove my 308 for 8 years on the same belts but was playing with danger. I looked at the valve price for the 3.4 at Superformance and they are 4 times the price of a 3.2 or QV. The car looks very nice, red with tan and I can probably get it below 30k. I just want to make sure to do the right move if I take the plunge.

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I was thinking the same looks like a decent deal also check out www.forzamotorsports.com he has a few in stock.

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Yes, a roll of the dice on cambelts. Also I presume you don't want to enter summer with two Ferraris in the shop. On QV/3.2 VS t I'd say if you have the service done and aren't too worried about the additional cost the t may have some benefit. I've heard but haven't confirmed the seats are a bit more comfortable and of course the power steering. I do all my own service so the t was not an option for me at this point in my life. The t has the 348 engine so you may want to jump down to that section and see about any problems people are having with them. My neighbor has a 348 and it has been dead reliable in the few years he has had it. It can sit for months and he just turns the key and goes.

16. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The best Ferrari, assuming equal condition, is the latest one you can afford. The Mondial T is a better car than the 3.2, because they fixed some of the problems. More expensive to service, probably, but a lot of the issues with the 3.2 were fixed with the T, and it has quite a bit more power, even if the numbers don't reflect that, it's a much quicker car.

They all leak. Haven't driven a drop top Ferrari that didn't leak like s sieve, but most don't drive them in the rain anyway.

Either one is a great car, but if you can, get a T, it is better.

Art

17. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Wow, 90k with an Enzo! At least he had lots of fun. Perhaps the costs per mile is even less than an low mileage car. I think driving as much as possible is better than waiting in the garage.

18. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I didn't do my own major service, yet. Smaller repairs are no problem. Last year my belts were replaced, now i have to wait for 2 years to try it myself. With the Birdman description it doesn't look too complicated to try.

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I replaced the top seal at the leading edge at top of windshield. No leakage at all under any circumstance. Driving through rain, snow, sat out all night in the rain, etc.

20. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Agree that the t has better all around performance, but not so about the durability being better in the t, relative to the 3.2.

Also, my top doesn't leak either, but it clearly hasn't been exposed to the elements like PV Dirk's has.

21. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Hello,

Have my heart set on a 3.2 Mondial Coupe. Besides the usual electrical issues, what problems were fixed on the Mondial t?

Thank you.

Joe

22. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The T didn't fix anything in the 3.2, if anything they introduced new systems that had their own complexities from motorized seatbelts to adjustable shocks.

The 3.2 and T are dramatically different cars that do not have much in common.

The Mondial T has more in common mechanically with the 348 than the Mondial 3.2.

Both are fantastic cars, but the T is not more reliable than the 3.2.

If you want the best performance in a Mondial, you get the T.

If you like the old school feel of the Ferrari 328, but want a larger more practical package with lower maintenance costs, you get the Mondial 3.2.

Personally, the 3.2 is my Mondial of choice. It is much cheaper to maintain than the T and comes without power steering, which I prefer.

23. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    the t has a lower CG. It rolls less in the turns...I'm not saying it pulls more lateral Gs, just that there is less body roll. They accomplished this by adding a dry sump oil system and by moving the engine ahead of the tranny instead of on top of it. The t has the same wonderful rack+pinion steering with the addition of Power steering which R&T admitted was an improvement (granted, not for everyone). The t makes more power with less fuel burn thanks to the Bosch Motronic electronic fuel injection/ vs the electro-mechanical system in the 3.2 (no more frequency valve). If ain't got carbs, why not have the most efficient EFI? The t also got rid of the fender flares by widening the body panels, not sure if that's an improvement. What they messed up was putting on a Cadillac type exhaust....purrs like a kitten at idle and allows stress-free conversation at 70mph+, but who wants that??? The seats have more lateral support but also require a narrow posterior. IDK, matter of taste I guess.

Dave

24. F1wannabe

F1wannabe Karting

Sep 27, 2011
    The Mondial t is a great car! I have an 89 t and the 89 model doesn't have the seat belts crossing all over the place, like the 1990 and later Mondial t's. Good luck.

25. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If you are unsure, I would drive both. For me, the 3.2 was the way to go over the t, and it had nothing to do with price.

Either way, both are amazing cars.

Erik