Are you maintaining your Mondial for yourself, the next owner or the one after that? | FerrariChat

Are you maintaining your Mondial for yourself, the next owner or the one after that?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by caterus, Apr 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In the mid-1990’s a senior director of Mercedes-Benz asked at a Board meeting ‘why are we building cars for the 3rd or 4th owners?’ He was questioning the cost of the high standards of build quality M-B were then known for. It may be a coincidence that a little while after this M-B’s reputation for quality started to significantly decline.

I was reminded of this story when, following the purchase of a two-post lift (the most useful purchase I’ve made for some time), I found myself polishing the hidden side of the under-tray protecting the fuel tanks – a part I hadn’t removed in over 10 years and I doubt I will touch it again for another 10 years. I also recalled I have recently fitted an engine pre-heater (which means no more cold starts and therefore reduced engine wear) and I’ve taken to fitting plastic caps whenever I replace bolts/nuts to avoid corrosion – both these actions will (hopefully) provide real benefits in the long run. But I wondered why am I doing this? Is it for my benefit or for some future owner?

Maybe there is such a thing as ‘emotionally satisfying’ maintenance in addition to doing those things required to keep the car safe, reliable and smart. But would I get a garage to do these things? No. Do I think resale value will be improved? No. Can I rationally justify the expenditure and time involved? No. Perhaps I am being overly influenced by the emotional appeal of a Ferrari which transcends purely financial or engineering logic? Or maybe I am just a bit crazy like my wife thinks!

So I thought I would turn to the collective wisdom of the FChat community for further insights. Have you undertaken any forms of ‘emotionally satisfying’ maintenance which is difficult to rationally justify – and if so why do you do it?

2. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    It is what you call "Pride of Ownership". It reflects what kind of a person you are. We do these things for our self satisfaction, no more, no less.

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I know a lot of people refer to themselves as caretakers in that the car takes on it's own life and will outlive the owner. I'm a bit more selfish. I consider myself an end user. If I cared more about the car than my own pleasure I would not be able to drive it cross country and on dirt roads. I get a tremendous amount of joy out of my car but recognize that it does require a fair amount in return. The maintenance I perform is only so I can have uninterupted experiences with the car. I want to use it as a car and I have an expectation that it will start every time I turn the key. That creates a heavy burden for the car and that burden is ultimately carried by myself. If not taken car of properly I can't get out of it what I want. Now as to keeping the underside of the car clean, it's a Ferrari. We own them. To want to drive them and spend time with them and bask in their glow, that requires no justification. I actually treat my 04 pickup and 93 motorcycle the same way. Spending time with the car and looking at it from different angles is a form of maintenance in that you'll be more likely to find problems before they become problems. Every time I go to my Dads house I put it on his drive on lift and just look under it for a while. On a car of this vintage you never know what part will start to weep a fluid. Better to catch early than to have a failure. You can call it preventative maintenance. If not kept clean it will go bad.

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #4 JoeZaff, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As an owner, I am well aware that I own something far bigger than me. Watching people photograph the car as I drive by, or point and tell their friends, reminds me that these vehicles represent an escape, a fantasy to so many people who, unfortunately, may never have the privilege to own one.

I look at Ferrari ownership as a privileged custodianship. We have a duty to share these cars with others and maintain them to such a high standard to insure that future generations can enjoy them. Ferraris of all kinds represent the dreams of a generation of car obsessed youth...they shouldn't perish with us.

Whenever I get jaded about what it is to have a prancing horse in my garage, I remind myself of what is was like to be a boy dreaming of the future. It makes it a lot easier to spend the cost of a compact car to keep her right.

Viva Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #5 godabitibi, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    I like to have my vehicles clean. Not ultra clean but to look decent and well maintained. Like PV Dirk said I also want them to be safe and usable. I also think that if a car looks clean and well maintained it will sell easier when time to sell. Maybe not worth more but will sell faster compared to another one just average. I'm not fussy on preventive maintenance but repair everything my cars need before they breaks. A collector car is something special and a Ferrari is for many the top brand, they deserve being well cared for. So maintenance is for me but also for the future owners and the lookers. It's a pride!

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    My Ferrari is for me, and then for my kids to fight over when I'm gone. Already know my wife doesn't want it. I keep it IMHO in excellent mechanical condition so that it starts the first try every morning, and then gets me home without calling a flatbed. That is my goal of happy Ferrari ownership.

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    +1!

I love the fact that you included both your babies!

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Joe, beautiful cars! Love the flying mirror, she's gorgeous!

cheers!

9. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I maintain my cars and other tools for me to drive and enjoy--I rarely sell so next owner is not my problem.
    Once I am gone, my wife or kids can have the big auction of cars, parts, tools, tractors etc.

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Well Frank, I'm sure that I'm not alone in wishing you S---loads of years of enjoyment of all your toys.

Cheers, and be well,

Hank

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm the 6th owner of my Mondial and it is evident that they all took very good care of it so if I let it go during my ownership I feel I that would make me one of the worlds biggest a#**oles. I don't know if I will be keeping my Mondial forever but while I own it I will give it the best care I can and like others have said this benefits us most, if you keep it clean its enjoyable to look at and if you maintain it properly it will be more reliable to drive and will have the most value if you sell it in the future.

12. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    All good and insightful comments... this thread is a good read.

For me: definitely work for myself -- I can't imagine selling my first Ferrari; I've sold too many wonderful cars before and regretted it much later. At this stage of my life this is more easily managed and not a concern. I already have friends who I'd like to see getting this car when I my bucket list is finally tallied, but hopefully we will all grow old together and this will not be a concern for some time. I guess in a sense, you could say I do it for the next owner, because I have specific people in mind for all my junk and I want them to enjoy it. I certainly have no interest in this as a financial investment.

After a long day at the office I find it really easy to turn a wrench... it is 1/2 the fun and a great stress reliever. (Funny, I work on my DD cars as well, and they're not so much fun.)

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #13 Wade, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I consider my car to be a survivor. It escaped death and destruction during the Gulf War just as I did (it's quite possible we were both in Saudi Arabia during the Storm).

I'm sure it has a sordid past but now it's mine... for me.

Although, it may have been his ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlQOg9abRk[/ame]

http://www.thedevilsdoublefilm.com/index2.html

14. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Ah, right, I remember: we figured out that speed buzzer thing under the dashboard, put there per some Saudi regulatory requirement and probably disconnected the day it was sold. Do you know its provenance before you got it? Date and location of original sale? (I think Ferrari can provide the latter.)

Doubt it was one of Saddam's kids... that would be creepy.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    So far I have 5 names of previous owners going back to 1998. Documents include:

DOT Certification Document - Undated (owner address in Fort Myers, FL)
    Georgia Vehicle Emission Inspection Report (Passed) - 2/18/1998
    State of Georgia Application for Registration - 3/17/1998
    State of Georgia Registration - 8/03/1999
    Tennessee Application for Title and Registration - 11/21/2003
    ----
    Then I bought the car from a Georgia registered owner on 2/08/2009
    Application for Florida Registration - 2/12/2009

Regarding Uday... yeah, it could be worse, like owning David Carradine's or Nicole Brown Simpson's Mondials.

But I'm with you, pretty unlikely that my car was part of Uday's 2000 car collection. :)