Gas smell | FerrariChat

Gas smell

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by godabitibi, May 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have a strong gas smell when the engine is running and after I turn it off after a drive. When I open the gas tank cap there is a lot of pressure escaping. Are they all like that? Then today I got it filled up and there was a leak at the right of the car under the rocker below the rear side window. It didn't leak before the fill up, so the problem is from top of tank. Where is the charcoal canister on the Mondial? Anyone ever experienced that problem?
    My fuel guage is also very erratic, sometimes down to empty for a long time but that is another problem.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When I open my gas lid, there's always pressure, I think that's normal.
    Jack up the rear driver's side, take off the wheel, and remove the inner well cover. You will see the charcoal canister, looks like Maxwell House coffee can, lol, in the corner. You will also see a spill hose from top of gas fill running down and attached to the inner well cover.

Sounds like you have a leak somewhere, you will need to inspect it. As far as the fuel gauge being erratic, mine only does that when the fuel gets to .25 tank fill. After fill up, it shows correctly. My thought is that the fuel sender arm is getting old and sticking and probably needs to be replaced, also check for loose ground wire. Here's a pic of the inner well when I replaced my clutch slave 2 weeks back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    You shouldn't be getting a gas smell when its running and if it's a "raw" gas smell then I would say you have a leak in the tank area. Another thing you may want to consider is the fuel crossover hoses my mechanic changed mine when he went through my car and he told me that they don't last very long.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 soucorp, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
    Claude, where exactly are you smelling the gas leak? Is it driver side rear or passenger side rear. The fuel line to the fuel filter is on the passenger side. A closer inspection of the hoses is needed, could be needing replacement as you see signs of dry rot, pin holes, rips and tears. Not to mention the 10% ethanol mixed in with the gas does not help the hoses!

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    It is recommended not to drive the car that has a fuel smell. They should not smell like fuel. Too many hot items in that part of car to allow fuel to leak.

From your post it isn't clear if it's drivers side or passenger. Different issues on the two sides.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    It is hard to tell from where is the smell. The leak was on passenger side.

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    A fuel leak is not to be fooled around with. As I'm sure you realize, there are too many really not surfaces in that engine compartment, and with the gas tanks back there, a fire can mean big trouble. (I hate stating the obvious).

So I, for one, strongly recommend that you not drive the car until you track down the leak and fix it. Face it, if the hoses are original, it could be coming from anywhere. Now is as good a time as any to change all of the fuel lines, in particular, the large ones down low on the bottom crossover pipe between the tanks. There are a bunch of threads in the 308 forum on changing hoses. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's no big deal, unless you are interested in turning yourself and your car into a giant French fry.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, May 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This poor bloke had his Mondial catch fire only after owning it for 6 weeks. Ruptured fuel line, so nothing to brush off, I would comb every inch looking for that leak.
    http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Driver-terated-ambulance-crew-Ferrari-catches/story-12681418-detail/story.html

But I have to say, the writer got the details wrong on this car:
    ...."Dave Moble, 33, had only bought the 1984 Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet six weeks ago....
    As flames poured from the 3.0 litre, 32 valve engine in the rear, Mr Moble had to watch as the hood caught light and melted onto the seats."

----> This is an 86-88 Mondial 3.2 liter quatrovalve.

10. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Actually, it looks like a QV that somebody modified. The engine appears to be a 3.0 judging from the plenum and the steering wheel appears to be from a T. I am almost certain the instrument binnacle does not have the angled edge, which is also an indicator that it was a qv.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
    That's a cruel joke to do on a car if its true. T steering wheel, GTO rims, 3.2 bumpers, seriously? All those mods and no one checked for leaking fuel lines ???
    And, how did the front bonnet get all messed up ? Maybe the fireman pried it open?

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Don't worry guys the car is already on jackstands and the problem will be solved.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The fuel lines are always suspect. However the location you are talking about, passenger side at front side of wheel well is where the fuel pump and accumulator are located. Both have the potential of leaking. Also all the fuel lines coming and going from that area. I predict it will be an easy repair for you. Let us know. Once the liner is out you should be able to see those items.

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Absolutely correct. As these cars age, you should look behind the right rear forward wheel well. Many dragons hide there. Accumulators do fail, and leak gas, but it is more usually old fuel and evaporative lines that are a problem. While the car is jacked and the wheel well is open, it is a very good idea to go ahead and change out the fuel lines as possible, as well as the evaporative lines you will find.

And while I hope this doesn't happen to anyone, another source of fuel smell is at the little nubs for the fuel return and evaporative hoses where they connect back into the top of the starboard tank.

Mondial Rule: Change rubber and cloth covered fuel bearing lines every 8 years or so.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Keep in mind guys the leak happened only when it was filled up to top. Most be a return line or vapor line at the top of tank. But I will check everything anyway.

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I looked at my problem tonight and I may have found it. All the hoses look brand new with most of the clamps an the fuel filter. The rubber hose in the upper right corner of the tank was too long and completely kinked and I think it may have cause the vapor condensor to over flow in some way when the tank was full. I let the engine run for a while and couldn't see any leaks. I will let you know after I drive it.

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Well! No result with this problem yet. I got it all back together and went for a ride and it still smell gas. No leak but a smell. I don't like that! I can't find exactly from where it is coming. Even hard to tell if from right or left side. Any suggestion welcome!

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    How about the fuel crossover lines?

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    You could try removing what I call the rear mid center pan. A series of I believe 10mm bolts hold on the rear center bottom of the car. You'll have access to look at your fuel tanks from the bottom as well as the crossover line.

It's also fun to look at the area where the coolant lines cross into aluminum and the shifter rod and throttle cables are all in a small area but work together nicely.

20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Find a local shop with an emissions system smoke machine. This will perform a 1.5# pressure test of the entire fuel system.

With the chemically generated smoke, pressurized by an inert gas (Nitrogen most likely, to eliminate the oxygen so you are not making a pressurized Bomb)... you will have both a visual indication of the leak source as well as an understanding of the leak size from the gauge results.

21. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I have found that atleast (my) QV Mondial cabrio had wrong clamp over return line from fuel distribution #116767
    Clamp was compleatly tighten close, return line was loose and had a leak.

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hello Claude. Did you ever source the fuel smell?