Value of 1988 Mondial 3.2 and cost of major service | FerrariChat

Value of 1988 Mondial 3.2 and cost of major service

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Wiese, Jun 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wiese

Wiese Rookie

Jun 11, 2012
    Hi there:

I am interested in a local 1988 Mondial 3.2, but I have no clue as to its value. Here is what I know about the car:
    - 1988 Mondial 3.2 coupe
    - color is some kind of maroon metallic, very unusual
    - mileage is 25K miles
    - no accidents
    - body and interior in nice condition
    - runs and drives well
    - needs major service (belts, etc.)

My gut feeling is that this car would be a $22K-$25K car if the major service had been completed in the last 2 years or so.

I have no idea what a major service will cost so I am looking for your input on that. My gut feeling would be 22K - cost of the major service, but of course I may be way off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kay

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #2 JoeZaff, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    If that car is Prugna, which sounds like what you are describing, and is in very good cosmetic and mechanical condition, but just needs a major, it should be a 30K plus car all day long.

Finding good condition coupes these day is extremely difficult and prices are holding on the good ones.

3. Wiese

Wiese Rookie

Jun 11, 2012
    Joe:
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate your input. Since I am new to Ferrari, how much would a major be for a Mondial, roughly? I have no idea if this is a 2K or a 10K job! I believe it can be done with the engine in the car, but that is about all I know.

Thanks,
    Kay

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Whew,
    You are asking me a loaded question. I have no idea if the car just needs belts and bearings (which would be roughly 2K more or less) or a full major service-- seals, waterpump, etc (5K) plus "while you are in there" stuff that could add another 5K or more to the service.

The term Major service assumes these cars are brand new and all need the same thing. Its not the case as these cars are now getting up there in years and in need of different levels of maintenance from wheel bearings to fuel lines. Assume any car you look at is going to need 10K of work, and then you can be pleasantly surprised if it is less and mildly disappointed if it is more.

Anyone who offers you any more specific advice on the costs of service is either very familiar with your car, has done a detailed pre-purchase inspection on your car, or has one killer crystal ball.

5. Wiese

Wiese Rookie

Jun 11, 2012
    Joe:

Thanks, your reply is very helpful. From my 2 vintage Porsches I own, I know the slippery slope and the "while you're in there symptom". It seems that to budget $5-10K for the first year will be prudent and then hope for the best.

Thanks again,
    Kay

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree with the should be value of $30K but, Kay, I think you're on target with 22 to 25.

By the way, as Joe mentioned, Prugna:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Wiese

Wiese Rookie

Jun 11, 2012
    Yes, that is the color!

8. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Love that color so much. Just beautiful. If only a cab. If only a cab. Se la vie!

My major, which was engine out (my choice as I had limited service records for my car at time of purchase), even though it didn't need to be, was closer to 10K. But that included extras like welding of rear suspection strut, fabrication of new bottom metal, and lots of new plumbing. I think the engine major component was around $5K itself IIRC.

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #9 hank sound, Jun 11, 2012
  10. F1111

F1111 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Great post !

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I agree, although I am biased! As far as the major goes look at it this way it will be a minimum of 3k or more that's minimum, it's good to buy a car with records and to have a mechanic who knows these cars to check it out to see what has been done and will be needed to be done.

12. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    What a handsome color!!LOL

Wiese, get a PPI done by a guy that knows Ferrari's. I did one a couple of years ago on a car I DIDN'T buy. Spent $500 to determine that while the car was in reasonably good shape, it was not the car for me.

You can then get a reasonable budget in mind for work to be done. I mentally put away $3-5k immediately on for my car that was well sorted, but will need a "major" in 2-3 years. So far, no real expenses.

If you tuck $250/mo away as a repair fund instead of a car payment, you will be in good shape when (notice I didn't say if) you need to get work done.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. dancmos

dancmos Rookie

May 10, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dan M.
    I prefer coupes every day of the week. What a color. It's beautiful. I love these posts because it helps me on my search. PPI will be a no-brainer for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #14 gsfent, Jun 12, 2012
  15. Wiese

Wiese Rookie

Jun 11, 2012
  16. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    So nice!

17. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Soooo nice, especially that engine!

18. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Offer 23 cash, settle for 25-ish, toss some belts and bearings on it, and do regular mx from now on. It looks well cared for, so there should be few surprises. The belt and bearing job is about 4 hours for skilled, or 10 hours for noob.

The color is - stunning. Only color I like better than red. If you fly me up from TX to do the major I'll have it done in a wknd, and you'll be good to go.

19. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
  20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #21 hank sound, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
    It's the angle that the photo was taken at. If you look extra closely, you'll see the hint of an angle at the back of the cheese grater (grill). :)

Also, the T has only five horizontal vanes whereas this and all others, have six.

Cheers,

Hank

21. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Arh... ok, I see it now. Thanks.

Also I just counted the slats, the T has 3 slats, and the older ones have 4.

22. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I counted top and bottom as well - - but we're on the same page. :)

23. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    What a stunning car. Buy it!
    A proper major for a 3.2 should be around $5000.00 to $6000.00.
    Includes belts, tensioners, water pump, valve adjustment, all fluids
    plugs, filters, etc....
    This is a rare car and it's awesome.
    Buy it!

24. bsaboy

bsaboy Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    SHEFFIELD U.K.
    Full Name:
    RICHARD SHAW
    And why does it have T engine