Mondial 3.2 wheels, what will fit instead? | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 wheels, what will fit instead?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by peterdavid911, Jun 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi all,
    The ride and steering on my 1987 3,2 Mondial (UK spec) seems very chopy and not very smooth. The tyres are original Michelin TRX and although they look in mint unused condition they have cracked all over due to age and no useage but also gone extremely hard. Would that be the cause of the bad ride?
    I need to buy new tyres and really want modern tyres and not the 390 millimetric TRX tyres anymore which are an expensive headache.
    I have been offered 360 wheels and was wondering if they will fit. The Mondial is 7J front and 8J rears whereas the 360 is 7.5J front 10J rears. Will the rears stick out too far? I would also consider 348 or 355 wheels, whichever are easier to bolt right on without major modifications if possible.
    Thanks, Peter.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The TRX from Longstone are not too expensive if you already have the wheels but there's many many threads just in the Mondial section about alternatives ! Try a search on Mondial TRX

3. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Jimmie, i looked at Longstone, thanks for the tip. Great classic tyre supplier!
    The rears are £333 each plus vat, almost £400, the fronts about £50 less. I think the option and for 4 new TRX tyres will be far too much. I will try and see if I can get 2nd hand wheels and modern tyres. I have been offered the 360 wheels for £800 without tyres but not too sure about the extra width on the back, they may be too wide. The tyre choice will be far greater and so will cost, i hope:)
    Many thanks.

4. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I fitted 16" Mondial T wheels, the rear offset is the same as original. The front offset is slightly different but that is no problem. The handling improvement of the car is amazing in respect to the TRX setup. My Mondial originally have the convex type wheel.

5. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the links, some of those Mondials look amazing! I just dont want to have offset problems then suspension alignment issues to deal with etc. Are yours 16s? If so what tyres do you have? It might be easier just to find the 16s from a 3.4T but cant find any here. Yours is a great looking car!
    By the way Mike, I have ordered a timing gun as per your advice and found a couple of coil modules at $139 USD each, is that a right price?

Johan, thanks for the info, does it really make that much difference? What tyres do you have? My steering feels really spongy and dead, almost like i turn the wheel a lot for it to actually go around corners. I cant do a 3 point turn in a road, more like a 6 point turn which is very embarrassing especially without power steering. Building up those muscles now:)

Thanks guys!

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Peter,

Yes, my 88 3.2 came with the 16s with ZR16 Michelin Eagle HPs.
    The power module on top of the coils are $139 a piece, that's what I paid.
    Make sure you get some of the white heat sink paste for good contacts between the coils.
    BTW, I'm use to my steering wheel now, has no power but my larger 395mm Nardi wooden classic steering wheel helps with the turns.

All the best,
    Mike

7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for replying about your wheels. I will see if i can find the 16s from a 3.4T. Will they fit straight onto my 3.2 without any modifications, offset changes or spacers etc?
    I ordered the coil modules today so should arrive by end of next week, bought some heat sink compound today and hopefully the timing gun will arrive mid week. I will let you know how i get along. Do the coils simply come off by unplugging the cable that goes into them and the removing the 2 screws on the top?
    Many thanks, Peter.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Peter,
    The Michelin GY Eagles on the t will fit your 87 just fine without any mods. That's what I have on my 88 3.2
    See chart, 16 Rims are the Good Year eagles (note TRX are 390 ~15" rims)
    Here is the 1987 3.2 owners manual:
    http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/The%20Documents/Owners%20Manual%20Mondial%203.2%201987.pdf

As far as the ignition power module, its straight forward, disconnect + battery cable first, pop out the spring clap on the module, slide off cable connector, unscrew 2 phillip screws and it should come right off. Hope that helps.

Cheers!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #10 godabitibi, Jun 30, 2012
  10. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mike, thanks for the info, it really helps. I will see what I can find and should hopefully improve the car. I do like the 348s in the photo.

Claude, your car is the same colour as mine and the 348 wheels really look amazing and sit well in the arches. Does it feel different to the TRX tires you had?

Thanks guys.

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #12 hank sound, Jun 30, 2012
    Hi Peter, you will certainly want to do the research - - and while you're at it, check the Speedline Mistral, 17" wheel that was a dealer option for Mondial sales throughout Europe .... but not in the USA :( There are no point dings for having these wheels and all sorts of great rubber is currently available for 17" wheels worldwide.

Cheers, Hank

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #13 godabitibi, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    Peter, I bought the car with the wheels already on. I can't tell you if there is a big difference. Since it is low profile they are a little hard if I compare with my 308GTB on 14''. Also if you are interrested in 360 wheels they need machining to fit properly. The 348 seem to be direct fit.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #14 Wade, Jul 1, 2012
  14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  15. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I am using Continental SportContact tyres. The difference with TRX tyres is like night and day. The TRX tyres do have a much harder compound, especially when cold. They are very slippery in that situation. The amount of grip of the TRX tyres improves with temperature. The modern Continental tyres are much more comfortable and have much more grip. It feels like you are driving a completely different car.

16. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #17 mulo rampante, Jul 1, 2012
    I'm with Claude on this... if you can find a set of 348 wheels they're a good fit, allow for abundant 17" tire choices, look great and are very easy to clean! Wheel stud lengths may be found via Ferrarichat search.

We had the annual "Concorso Ferrari and Friends" in West Hartford, CT today. In the foreground is my friend Jay's car, in the background is "Il mulo". Note the 348 wheels on both cars. I think we had a total of 3 Mondials at this event, the other car is a cab owned by Sal who has his judged (and wins prizes). This shot was taken before the crowd really began to assemble, it was crazy.

17. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The choice is quite amazing, I must say i do like the 348 wheels, gives it a more modern look and 17s will fill the space better depending on tyre choice which is huge compared to 1 option only with 15.35 inch TRXs (390mm). Would anyone know if the offsets and set up is different which would require alignment etc?
    Wade, the top pic of the coupe look like 360 wheels here in the UK. That was my first choice but they are 18 inch and the rears are 10J which stick out unless modifications are done. The fronts in that photo almost look like they protrude the wheel arch? They look great though!
    The speedlines are also a good match for the car but maybe they look a little dated in comparison to the 348s?

18. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's hilarious. Of all the threads and posts I've read about changing the wheels of a Mondial, I've never heard anyone mention simply going to a Mondial T wheel. So simple, yet sooo complex. I also have a 3.2 that I've given lots of thought to changing the wheels on. Personally, I'm holding out for some 18" 360 challenge wheels, but repairs keep pushing that purchase back.

Regards,
    Brian

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #20 godabitibi, Jul 5, 2012
  20. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Claude,
    I bought some great 348 wheels today and just need to get them cleaned up and polished then some new tires and should hopefully feel much better. Your car does look amazing and the same colour combination as mine. It totally transforms your car.
    Thanks, Peter.

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Great Peter! Post pics of the car when it's done please.

22. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I guess from the earlier post that the lug bolts also need to be 348's? My Mondial bolts are 1 and 17/32". It looks like to mount the 348 wheels on a "T" one needs 348 lug bolts which are a bit more than 2"?

23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I guess the answer is yes Randall. If you look at my bolts you can see where the thread is in contact with the axle/hub and a 1 17/32'' would be way too short. They are more like 2 1/8'' . The 348 wheel must be thicker. I got the car this way so I don't know what the original wheels and bolts measures are.

24. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have been searching for the correct 348 wheel bolts and the Ferrari part number is 139893 and they are ridiculously expensive, so much so that at $50 per bolt x 20 for all 4 wheels thats $1000 (here in the UK). Surely that cant be right! I bought the 4 wheels 2nd hand for $385 and need refurbing which is ok plus i still need 4 new tyres!!!