Best place for a fire extinguisher | FerrariChat

Best place for a fire extinguisher

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Aug 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought this topic be good to get more opinions on where to place a fire extinguisher on a Ferrari, especially in a Mondial.

Hank and Wade mentioned the trunk is as bad of a place as the engine compartment itself.
    Currently, my fire extinguisher is located in the trunk. Logistically, it would be best somewhere in the cabin space, but it has to be secured properly and not get in the way of passengers and the car's aesthetics. Here are some ideas, what do you think?

btw, great website on this: http://www.tradetutor.com/raceprep/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    UNless you are installing the automatic ones in which case engine bay. I seem to recall from the days when we shares a form with 308s that someone sold
    Clips that attach it to the seat frame on passenger side. If my recollection is correct and anyone knows where to get those I am a buyer.

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Mike's picture #2 and the one on the bottom right, show a nice clip approach. Let's look at this realistically - Mike :):) You have pictures of your beautiful leather luggage strapped to the back section of your cabin ............ God forbid, we have a scenario where you're driving along and along side comes a car with the occupants honking, yelling & pointing ---- AT YOU !!! Pulling over quickly, your heart pounding - you look over your shoulder and (oh ****), there's smoke. Quickly you push the button to open the boot so you can get to your fire extinguisher (you're still sitting in the car BTW) - - what's wrong ??? The damn thing won't open. **** !!!! Where is the manual pull handle? Time and a growing fire, marches on !!!! I suppose you could try to snuff out the fire with the contents of that Schedoni case !!!

Anyway, it's quite acceptable to have the extinguisher in the cabin ........ as your pictures indicate. Why hell, mate, it's even COOL !! :):):)

Cheers, Hank

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would agree with you there Hank! Looking for that cool passenger seat clip!
    cheers!

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I have a big 8 pounder that fits nicely in the right rear footwell.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Aug 7, 2012
    I ordered a red one, best value and quality with mount. $33 free shipping, can't beat that!
    I'm thinking mounting it under the dash Option 1, second placement would be Option 2 & 3.

RED FIRE EXTINGUISHER
    BRAND NEW INTERIOR UNIVERSAL FIRE EXTINGUISHER
    MEASUREMENT: APPROXIMATELY 9.75"
    INCLUDED: MOUNTING BRACKET
    INTEGRATED PRESSURE GAUGE AND SAFETY PULL RING
    FITMENT: UNIVERSAL FITMENT FOR ALL CARS, SUVS, TRUCKS AND BOATS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-H2-H3-HUMMER-RED-FIRE-EXTINGUISHER-/180934429186?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a20884a02#ht_3200wt_1186

FIRE EXTINGUISHER BLUE
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-CAMARO-FIRE-EXTINGUISHER-BLUE-/180928833556?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a2032e814#ht_3200wt_1186

7. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Don't you use your backseats sometimes?
    The under-dash mount might limit passenger knee room...
    What about attached to the passenger seat rail so it moves with the seat?
    Also, a silly question but is there ever a chance you would need to use it?
    Thanks,
    Greg

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Greg,
    Not sure where I will mount yet until I get it in the mail. Will try diff places but yes, it will not be in the way of my passengers while still accessible for a quick response. And yes is the answer to is there a chance of fire! When my coolant hose busted, there was smoke from the engine and for sure, I thought the car was on fire. Its a scary thought when you look in the rear mirror and see any smoke from the engine bay!

cheers!

9. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Why wouldn't you mount it to the front of the drivers seat? Easily accessable. I have my non Ferrari one mounted that way (bracket predrilled), never had an issue and all I have to do is reach down and pop the clip for access.

Regards,
    Jerry

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Aug 13, 2012
    Can you post of a pic of your setup Jerry?

btw, I know where I can mount this one, LoL!
    Thanks.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 soucorp, Aug 13, 2012
    DavidJ posted one that is telescopic and bolts to the rear seats that's kinda cool but looks like it takes up most of the foot rest area in the rear.
    I think I will design my own securing mechanism with possible leather pouch for it.

12. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I would suggest mounting it behind the front seat, if at all possible. If you need it, you don't want to open the trunk hood, as that is the most likely place you will have a fire. You want to be able to get to it quickly and easily. The front seat mount is the best for easy access, but limits the passenger's room somewhat. Since the back seat is not really a seat anyway, the foot well right behind the driver is my #1 choice on a Mondi.

p.s. That bracket for the extinquisher is called a Charness Harness, thanks to Mike Charness, an F-Chat member.

http://www.tradetutor.com/raceprep/

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    My photos show the extinguisher behind the drivers seat. It is mounted to the floor at the seat track. I needed to place it far back as possible because I like to have my seat almost all the way back. I am not a tall guy, 5' 7", but I like to be stretched out when I drive. So your mounting distance may be different. In the Mondial T, and in particular my car, I have a sub-woofer under each front seat (PO installed). This, in combination with the lever that is used to unlock and slide the front seat, made mounting on the front rail points not possible for me.
    There may be a way to mount to the seat itself thereby increasing the rear passenger foot space, as the extinguisher will move with the seat.

I am actually going to look into this possibility.

I rushed an install to be able to enter the New Hope Car show yesterday, a mounted extinguisher was a requirement.

David

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    So far mine is just on the floor behind my seat. I need to strap it down.

Haven't had to use it in the Mondial (knocks on wood), but I have put out two different small engine fires with extinguishers in my pickup.... people on side of road with smoke. Scary stuff. Happy to have it with me.

15. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    #15 YELO T, Aug 13, 2012
    I mounted one in the front trunk which has a recessed area under the latch (see pic). Here's the logic: If a fire breaks out, it will most likely be in the rear of the vehicle. If the power fails, the emergency front trunk release is under the driver's dash. It's easy to access from both sides of the car and doesn't take up any usable trunk or cockpit space.

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi YELO T,

You do make perfect sense here. If having it somewhere in the cockpit is not desired, your selection of a mounting place in the front boot, is spot on.

Cheers, Hank

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #17 soucorp, Aug 14, 2012
  18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Mike

If i was in front of my PC, i could use my favorite software 'paint' and draw a curcle around the spot that i think would be best, since im not, i'll try shirades and try to draw you a picture..

You know that spot that is just under the folding arms of the soft top, some have sugested to put speakers in there (?).

With the top down its an accessible hole, with the top up, its also accessible, i keep my folded up Hankie, affectionately known (spider top) in there along with some rags and in the other one i keep my camera and some more rags. But i think the driver side would be great for an extinguisher. No?

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #19 soucorp, Aug 15, 2012
    Hi Ted,

I know what you're talking about, I have tried placing the FE in that side holder and yes plenty of room but its hidden. But you know me, I have to show it in the cabin and it has to look nice like a piece of art while still functional. So my plan for now is to secure it to the front passenger left foot area, fabricate a custom leather pouch for it with Cavallino on it. Should look good while not impeding foot space or touching the seats at most forward position. Stay tuned...

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #20 Valenzo, Aug 15, 2012
    If i had this open area, it would make sense to put it there.

In the pass foot well, my fear is that it would be kicked a lot, excessive heat, the sun, the chance of theft, all possibilities in this area.

just my .02

21. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Those are good points. I'll play around some more, need to make a securing plate for it to attach to. In the center, I can make holes without worries because the carpet can conceal it pretty good. Thanks, it maybe better than the foot area. more to come....

22. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #22 gsfent, Aug 15, 2012
    I agree, best place above and to the front of the center console. Would be nice if there some type of cover, not sure I would be wild about how it looks, but that is just me.

Here are pics of one in my other car, having trouble getting picturs straight, but you get the idea.

Regards,
    Jerry

23. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #23 soucorp, Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks Jerry, for the sake of my neck, let me straighten it out for you.

24. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    THANK YOU!!!
    Regards,
    Jerry

25. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie