show me your metal strip (trim) under doors... | FerrariChat

show me your metal strip (trim) under doors...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Valenzo, Sep 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #1 Valenzo, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So i'm spending some time on my Mondial cosmetics. My car body, paint and interior are very nice but there are some minor improvements to be made. Im entering my car in the upcoming LFSC Concours d' Elegance.

Im tackling the metal strip that runs the length under the doors. Mine are a bit loose, faded and i think may be bent in some spots but im not sure if they are meant to be that way. Im going to put my car up on my lift, straighten, secure and paint and do both sides at once and let dry over the weekend.

Questions:

Are yours straight all the way along or do they have curves or indentations?
    Are yours shinny black or flat black?
    Are yours loose or tight and if tight, do they bend in or drop down straight?

Im missing a couple rivets, im going to use small sheet metal screws and paint the heads black.

heres how mine look at the moment:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Sep 28, 2012
    Hi Ted,

Yours is beat up, its suppose to be straight and tight, held on with factory rivets.
    Here is mine, its not flat or glossy black, more of Satin Black, same color as the front & rear spoiler/apron on the car.

3. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Yours look right; some bent parts but not too bad. Mike is right they are the same paint as the front spoiler.

I am missing mine on the drivers side. If anybody has any suggestions they would be welcome. I guess I could take a stab at fabrication but to find a piece of sheet metal that long from junk would not be easy.

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #4 JoeZaff, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    Ted,
    Yours are a bit banged up.

They are supposed to be straight, held on with factory rivets and satin black.

The lower moldings are part 49 in the reference below.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=1967

Parts #61682200 & 61682300. you can get both sides new and OEM for around $800.00

The rivets, part number 60225901 are $1.32 each.

Most regional shows probably aren't going to pick up on it, but if this is a Ferrari specific event with some experienced judges who are a bit hardcore, you are going to need to tidy that up quite a bit. However, and I don't know your car, I would focus on all the things that are topside first. Study as many factory photos as you can. If your car is otherwise perfect, then consider repairing or replacing what you have, but this would be towards the bottom of my list. If you want, send me a ton of photos of your car and we can study them carefully and decide what, if anything, else needs to be done. If it is rather relaxed event, your car may get platinum as it stands. If your car is otherwise perfect, it would still probably be a platinum candidate at most regional events.

I would try to also get a hold of an FCA judge's sheet so you have an idea of what they are looking for.

Welcome to the world of show cars, prepare to get friendly with your banker :D

5. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #5 Valenzo, Sep 28, 2012
    Hey Randall

I just got off the phone with Dave Helms, we talked about you and yours, congrats on getting closer to sorted.

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks Joe!!

I think it will be rather relaxed and im using the event to meet some other Fchatters and get an idea of where my car ranks. Id like to clean it up as much as i can and then stand back and get judged.

Those strips have always bothered me, just the fact that i can move them back and forth and if i hit it with my shoe, upon getting in, it rattles and makes me cringe and thats just not acceptable. I will straighten, tighten and paint. I'll post pics of my work. If they dont turn out right, i'll get a new set from Daniel

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks Mike, yours look great! and i'll use your picture as my guide.

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #8 porphy, Sep 28, 2012
    Been raining like crazy here and am behind in work but we think we have found it. The delay was due to my lack of experience and pure stupidity on my part. But before I say anything I want to be sure. We are encouraged.

Relative to the rocker panels, I guess the Ricambi solution is right, at least for the left side. I don't think I could do it for much less than the Ricambi price.

Kind regards,

9. roberth9855

roberth9855 Karting

Feb 4, 2012
    Murrysville, Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert Henkel
    #9 roberth9855, Sep 28, 2012
    Porphy, The rocker trim can be made from a 1 3/4" W X 8' L X 1/16"T piece of aluminum that you could buy at Home depot. A friend of mine had metal bending break that he let me use, but if you don't have a friend with one you could just go to any heating and cooling shop that makes duct work and they can bend it for you. Take your old one with you so they can see were to make the bends. I'm adding a picture of mine I did not like the jack slots so I didn't cut them in. I painted the aluminum and stainless screws satin black

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Certainly a big thanks. I will take a look at Home Depot. Thanks much.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #11 PV Dirk, Sep 28, 2012
    Mine were both beat up and the bottoms a bit ground in some spots. I drilled out the rivets, worked them to as straight as possible, used a file to clean off some areas where they were mushroomed over from bottoming out and reinstalled with new black rivets.

I did think they were anodized though. I believe I used gun blueing to redarken scrapes.

I don't notice them anymore because they no longer look terrible.

I believe they are basically rub strips, designed to make noise before you are dragging the bottom of your car on the ground.

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #12 PV Dirk, Sep 28, 2012
    Just found this pic. It's more munched than it looks. At the cutout on the right it is kinked, and behind that it's actually mushroomed. I worked it mostly straight and reinstalled as I mentioned above. I also took the opportunity to redo the textured lower section as it was very grey and ashy looking.

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #13 davebdave, Sep 28, 2012
    Ours were flawless until....well, I'm not ready to publicly admit what I did but they are a little cut down at the moment. I like the HomeDepot remedy.

dave

Edit: Ted, yours look like a result of improper placement on a lift, very common if people don't know where the lift points are.

14. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #14 Lino, Sep 28, 2012
  15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks guys. I think the thing to do is drill out the rivets, remove the strips, bang straight on an anvil (i have just the hammer), sand blast and paint with restoleum satin black ;
    (2 coats) and reinstall but ive never used a rivet gun before so i may use counter sink sheet metal screws and black epoxy over them and smooth out. Done

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #16 davebdave, Sep 28, 2012
    Hey ted, those are blind rivets, no gun required, just get this $15 tool and some black pop rivets. Dave

17. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Skip the epoxy Ted, they will be coming back off every 4 or 5 years to straighten back out. One local car that was lowered I went as far as to install #6 Nutserts and tapered head machine screws because they went on the anvil at every oil change.

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Like PV Dirk said the ones on my car were originally anodized.

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The tool pictured is what I always called a pop rivet gun.

20. roberth9855

roberth9855 Karting

Feb 4, 2012
    Murrysville, Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert Henkel
    How long are the trim pieces on a Mondial T, (I have a 85 Mondial Cab.) and how wide or better, does any one have an old one that some one could send me a 4 inch piece of. I know I can make them for my car.

21. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #21 davebdave, Sep 29, 2012
    Ahh, I always thought of a rivet gun as being pneumatic.

I will probably also take Ted and Dave's advise and use sheet metal screws when I replace ours, I just worry that they will rattle themselves out and end up in a tire.

I cut the rails loading the car onto the lift when I was using some 2x12 wood helper ramps that shot out about 20 feet when I hit the gas at the wrong time (limited-slip diff works good :) ) Fortunately just cosmetic damage to the rails and fuel tank pan when the car dropped a few inches. I now have the "helper" ramps attached securely to the factory ramps when loading.

Dave

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That trim looks odd to me so I went out to the garage for another look.

My car doesn't have it; don't think it ever did. No rivits, screws or empty/filled holes either.

23. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #23 soucorp, Sep 29, 2012
    I took more pics of the under metal strip on my car this morning, had a VA safety inspection done, relieved all passed. Of course, I had to show the inspector how the ebrake handle worked, how to put it in reverse, and how to turn on the headlights. He was amazed how beautiful this car was, and I got alot of Nice Car from the ladies all morning long while waiting an hour for my inspection!

Anyways, my strip is pretty straight but I could see how easily these could get damaged if the arm lift is set in the wrong area.
    Ted, yours was damaged in this way I believe, see the jack spaces in the picture.

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wade yours should have it as well, if it does not, some one took it off.

25. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Hey Ted,

Last year there was only one Mondial entered. Last time I checked, yours was nicer. Hope the weather forcast improves for next week.

See you there.

Joe