Mondial Center Vent and Foam Rebuild Kit | FerrariChat

Mondial Center Vent and Foam Rebuild Kit

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Valenzo, Nov 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #1 Valenzo, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mr. Ron Frohock, I believe, has solved the oscillating problem of our Mondial heat/AC center vent. As we all know, it can only blow left, right or center but not up and down, giving us cold or hot knees.

Today, i received a box in the mail with Ron's solution. I call it the Fromo Vent and in the up coming days, I hope to follow Ron's detailed instructions and install my new vent adapter and review it. It was sent to me complimentary and i thank you Ron very much, but, i will return the favor with one of the products we make so we can share in gift giving. I can only hope that mine will give you the pleasure that yours will to me.

I hope to begin this on saturday and will report back.

Thanks again Ron.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Nov 2, 2012
    Very Cool of you to do that Ron. I still owe the TedMan something for the awesome hammer he sent me. Your bottle of Kohlberg---Bolivian Vino is awaiting!

btw, I had to be reminded of how this air improvement will work, here it is folks. Please review Ted before the orders line up more, because this is sadly needed in the summer months!

3. raffpal

raffpal Karting

Oct 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    FFR
    sounds good can't wait

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Raffi,

The Frohock Vent is something that you absolutely need - - and a Spider Top, of course :).

Cheers, Hank

5. raffpal

raffpal Karting

Oct 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    FFR
    Hankie i owe you a phone call re: Abarth. Yeah for sure. let me know when you're coming up to La Canada C&C

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Well .......... if I can drag my a$$ out of the comfort zone of my bed tomorrow AM, and if you're going to go as well, I'll jam out to LaCanada in Rachel. But if you're not going, neither am I !! :):)

Cheers, Hankie

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Ted
    I look forward to your evaluation.

This project took a bit longer to complete than originally expected.

I had two rounds of tooling to manufacture the "Wedge" as the first tool did not provide a part that was a tight fit to the OEM center air vent.

I also had difficulty finding the best foam for the job.

I evaluated a great number of samples from various manufactures. It was difficult to find a material that had right compliance in the right thickness.

I ultimately found a material that looks common but has been been specially made for automotive applications.

It will not support the growth of mold in the HVAC environment and will perform to extreme variations of temps from -40 C to +85C.

I hope you will find that the kit easy to install and effective to use.

Thanks

Ron Frohock

8. russlv

russlv Karting

Feb 29, 2012
    las vegas, nv,
    Full Name:
    Russ Lorenzen
    So Ron, Are the kits available to buy now?
    Thanks,
    RussLasVegas

9. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    i didnt have time to start the project on Saturday like i had hoped, it was my M in law's 70th birthday and that pretty much took up my whole weekend. I'll try again this week.

10. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Yes. The cost will be $140.00 plus shipping.

11. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks Ron.

Do you want signups here, or do you want to start a separate thread perhaps with info required and preferred payment method?

Regards,
    Jerry

12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Ill try to construct a thread tomorrow.
    Thanks
    - Ron

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    #13 ronfrohock, Nov 5, 2012
    Fellow Mondial Owners....

Ive always been a bit disappointed with the fact that the center air vent on the Mondial does not allow for vertical adjustment. The heated or cooled air was always directed at my knee rather than my midsection.

While looking into developing a solution to this problem I also discovered that the original foam that sealed the airbox to the back side of the vent deteriorated over time which significantly reduced the amount of heated or chilled air directed thru the vent.

I have developed a solution to these problems.

I can now provide a kit that includes a "Wedge" and a Foam Rebuild Kit.

Using custom tooling, the wedge is made of aluminum formed to closely match the external profile of the vent. it is then black anodized and is provided with 3M Very High Bond PSA tape.

The foam material is a special PolyEther material that is made specifically for automotive applications. It will not support the growth of mold in wet environments and is rated for temperatures of -40 Degrees C to +85 Degrees C. It is also provided with 3M Very High Bond PSA.

These kits fit all Mondials, 8, 3.2 and T. Coupe or Cabriolet.

The cost per kit is $140.00 plus shipping postage which is $5.00 internal to the US.

I have made a number of kits and can begin to ship immediately.

I take paypal and personal checks.

I will refund your money if you are not delighted with the results.

Thanks
    - Ron Frohock
    508-341-7440 Cell

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Ladies & Gentlemen, may I call your attention to the center of the ring (actually, the center of your dash).
    This is a product from Ron Frohock, that will do more to increase your level of warm weather Mondial driving, than anything I can think of. It even beats beats fixing a broken window motor - and is a whole bunch cheaper !! :):) If you drive a Mondi, you'll be thankful you bought this upgrade. Your suit will be dry, fresh and crisp - - "I guarantee it". :):)

Good work, Ron.

Cheers, Hank

15. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.
    - Ron

16. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm in. After seeing your other projects, I have no doubt as to the quality of the replacement vent.

Post (or PM) your paypal info. I will send the $145.

Regards,
    Jerry

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  18. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Before placing my order, I went to check my car to see how my center vent compared to Ron's picture. It turns out my center vent HAS up/down and left to right adjustment. WTF?

Is it possible the t/348 interiors have the vertical adjustments in the center vent?

Regards,
    Jerry

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Jerry,

Look at Ron's picture - then look again at your center vent. It's that mounting angle that makes all the difference.

Cheers, Hank

20. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Jerry
    They all have vertical adjustment and lateral adjustment.
    The problem is that the center vent is assembled to the dash which is at a negative angle. Even when we adjust the vent to direct the air as high as possible it hits our knees.
    The wedge that I am providing corrects this design flaw. Using the Wedge, the vent will be mounted in a more verticals position which allow the air to be directed closer to your mid section.
    Thanks
    Ron Frohock

21. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks guys, I feel better!!! Although my "mid section" may be blocking the air from getting up any higher!!LOL

Regards,
    Jerry

22. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #22 Valenzo, Nov 15, 2012
    ...and nothing short of fantastic!

To be honest, I was a little nervous about changing the appearance of my center dash vent and wasn't sure if Ron's invention was going to be worth the change. But since he was so generous and worked so hard to make this for us all, i was all in.

Well friends, it is worth it and the difference it makes is amazing. The best part, it improves the look of the center dash and was so easy to do.

Ive been putting it off because i have in-laws visiting from Puerto Rico and they are not leaving until after the holidays so.... i snuck away to my shop and started this install.

I laid it all out, read over Ron's step by steps and it went surprisingly, very smoothly.

Heres the visuals:

First step - Removal and cleaning of the center vents crumbling foam:

23. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
  24. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #24 Valenzo, Nov 15, 2012
  25. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #25 Valenzo, Nov 15, 2012
    Wth? I found this little piece just hanging around. Its the harness strap from my center console wiring and its supposed to keep it from slicing itself on the sharp steel air vent support. So i wrapped some electrical tape around the harness and re-secured with a new screw and moved the harness to its original location. Im glad i found this, because i noticed wire chaffing.

I vacuumed the area out to remove all the foam pieces and dust and made sure everything was as it should be.