Side Pillers on Cabs | FerrariChat

Side Pillers on Cabs

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 2000YELLOW360, Nov 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The side pillars on the cabs are hugely expensive. Has anyone attempted to repair or re-manufacture? If not, is anyone willing to try. There are quite a few of us, who need repairs or replacement.

Part numbers: 61720300 and 61720400. Replacement cost 600-700 each.

Art

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    They are not too special. Looks like a simple vacuum / pressure form part.
    What is the problem with the original part? How do they fail?

- Ron

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #3 SonomaRik, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    Art, I see what you are referring but why replace, and both? Damage? Also agree not a difficult part to remfgr.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Mine are a bit worn. I think they say Mondial on them. One is worn smooth, the other is faint. They have a texture assocated with them as well. They may wear against the cover when the top is down. I've seen a few torn in pics over the years. I'd also have to say mine are probably not as black as they would be from new but my car has a balanced patina at this time so they don't stand out.

5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #5 soucorp, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found a pic of the pillar, not mine but they do seem to be falling apart. Mine is not as bad as the one in the photo but I understand it is a problem on most Mondials.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. russlv

russlv Karting

Feb 29, 2012
    las vegas, nv,
    Full Name:
    Russ Lorenzen
    Mine are also chewed away where they mate the body when the top is put up. I have asked about this before, and haven't found anything except buying new for stupid prices
    RussLasVegas

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I had thought you guys were talking about the A Pillar trim. This part is a bit more involved.
    I wish I had taken a good look my part before storing my car for the winter.
    Maybe I can go by the facility to take a good look.

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'm happy to say that mine are fine.

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Mine are like the picture Mike posted. The lower section is gone.

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I think it is called a "moulding" even though it is really a gasket. It consists of a metal bracket mounted to the convertible top structure, attached to this is a hard plastic center covered with foam and a rubber-like skin. There is also a rubber window gasket that seals (I use that term loosely) to the front window. There is a separate rubber gasket to seal the rear window.
    It seems all of these wear in the same location, the bottom. I think it has to do with how the top folds down and rubs the rear window (even when the window is all the way down). With the foam/rubber missing at the bottom there is the potential for a significant leak if you are driving in the rain. Of course in my 1990 "T", the "mouse" seatbelt electrical connector is located directly below this area (under a trim piece) and I would bet that is why there are many failures of this component, it gets wet.
    I have been trying to get one of these since I got my car in April of this year. It's NLA, unless there is stock at a dealer somewhere. I would expect to pay an insane price if you can find one of these items.

DavidJ

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I think one side is still available but can't remember which.

12. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    Both of my side pillars are bad.

13. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    My passenger side has virtually the same damage as this picture. I've tried to pick up used ones when someone is breaking down a mondial for parts but so far no luck.

14. bimbomancini

bimbomancini Karting

Dec 20, 2008
    Milan Italy
    Full Name:
    Roberto
  15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Hmmm. If ever my top is up I'll consider. :)

16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I dreamt about this last night and in my dream found mine were damaged. Guess I'll have to go look at them now. After the dog gets walked and the DMV papers are collected.

17. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If you decide to make or repair these I want two. Passenger side is toast, but wwould replace both.

Art

18. russlv

russlv Karting

Feb 29, 2012
    las vegas, nv,
    Full Name:
    Russ Lorenzen
    Ron, this might be a good "new" winter manufacturing project for you. You know, if things get slow at the crazy little electronics shop you work at :)

19. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Right, Russ - - we both know this particular item isn't quite like Ron's top latch hardware or his new A/C center vent angulation pieces, in terms of cost to recreate or upgrade.

Seven years ago, the bloody things were about $400 each, which I felt was obscene!!! Now ............ well, forget it !! That little pillar piece can be Rachel's one and only "messy" war scar !!! Efffffff It !!! :):):)

Cheers & "be thirsty, my friends".

Hankie

20. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Took a look at one today. I think someone could order a hundred feet of the 'gasket' portion and the cost wouldn't be huge, maybe 50$ a foot. (2000 total I suspect). Then the real issue is how to repair the pillar. Any ideas? I'm sure a few could be sold at 200$ each.

Art

21. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #21 Valenzo, Nov 17, 2012
    Thankfully mine are perfect, but how or why do they deteriorate? How does one protect them from aging, other than just keeping them clean, out of the sun and well conditioned. I guess that should be enough.

22. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #22 davebdave, Nov 17, 2012
    Ted, yours look factory fresh. Ours are showing the early signs of wear. I think a combination of the rear windows on initial contact and the rub factor when stowing the top eat away at the lower portion of the pillars. I am wondering if a replacement could be milled out of hard rubber and tailored to accept standard window gaskets as Art mentioned.

Dave

23. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    I do have a spare set of these Ron. I bought new ones several years ago at the "exorbitant" price of $350 each. Now they are showing early signs of wear like Dave's. I have traced this to slight misalignment of trim pieces and the metal bars supporting the top when you stow it. do not think it has anything to do with the windows.

Just send me your shipping info and I will send you the chewed up old beasties. You can also see how I unsuccessfully tried to repair them with black weatherstripping adhesive..

Best

H

24. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Ron:

I want two of them. Left and right.

Art

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran