Harsh metallic rattle on cold start, and lots of cranking on 2nd start. | FerrariChat

Harsh metallic rattle on cold start, and lots of cranking on 2nd start.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Darkcat, Nov 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    Afternoon guys!
    Well having repaired my exhaust, which sounded like a tin can rattling about inside a bigger tin can (!!) - I can now hear the engine on startup.

I have a worrying sounding rattle coming from, well, the engine, its a very harsh metallic rattle when cold, almost sounds like a thin heat shield knocking on something, but sounds like its coming from the cam area.
    It goes away after 30 seconds or so, and doesnt re-occur on the same day?!

Could this be something like sticking cam followers??
    (i have good oil pressure, and plenty of oil)

The car is low mileage and did a LOT of sitting about for the last 8 years, the oil looks rather tired so will change this ASAP.

Second problem I have:
    The car starts from cold very easily, crank it over for maybe 2 seconds and off she goes.
    However if i start it, pull out of the garage, stop it, do some stuff (load boot, lock up etc) then try to restart, i really struggle to start it again, turns over fine, but takes a good 10 seconds to splutter into life. once its running its fine.
    When i stop at, for example tesco, do 10 mins shopping, it will take about 5 seconds to fire.

what could this be? wet plugs? weak spark?

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    The first problem is likely the cold AC belt issue. It sounds like a metallic vandergraf generator. I don't know if this is an acceptable practice or not but my mechanic spayed a touch of WD40 in the belt to make it stop temporarily.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    1st problem, does it sound like the belts at cold start up.
    A lil lube spray or get proper belt spray will stop the noise until you get to replace it.

see my video...
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7qhCOoMMj0[/ame]

Resolution:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFm65Ybj_3U[/ame]

2nd problem sound like this must read thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141367027

Good hunting...

4. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    Thanks guys! Yes thats pretty much what it sounds like, i'll give it a spray and see what happens :)
    I Hope it is that as otherwise its rather worrying!!

I'll go read the other thread now...