Mondial Car Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

Mondial Car Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    Anyone bought a new car battery lately?
    Mine has been slowly dying from the cold and even after an all night recharge, its too weak to start. Tried Sears, PepBoys, Costco, but no luck. Looks like an online only item.

This is what I currently have on the car:
    Optima batteries Redtop part no RED 34/78 model no 34/78
    CA 1000
    CCA 800
    RC 100

thanks.

2. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mike,
    I recently changed mine but could not find the standard 66ah battery anywhere. I opted for a Bosch S5 type 096 which is a 77ah and has been perfect. I think a larger amperage battery would do anything but help start a lot easier.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Peter, I think I'm gonna order one online after my Florida trip. I can't believe a Ferrari Battery is over $500, its a car battery gees. The one I'm looking at is around $200.

Best,
    Mike

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Mike.

Im on battery #2, the first one i never saw because the dealer installed it after i bought it and then sent my car to get a major which killed it after a year of working on my car. They put a new Interstate in mine just before it came home the second time. Its been very good, starts fast every time but then again, ive only had it a few months.

Do you want me to look and see which one and get some numbers off it?

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I put another redtop in mine. Got it from a local auto parts store at the time. I just pulled the numbers off the one I had in the car and made a lot of calls until someone said "yes we have that". Didn't believe it until I saw it but I'm all set now.

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks Ted but no need for the Interstate model.
    Ill look it up. Most likely will pick one up from Advanced Autos, they have a redtop like PV got. Mine lasted 5 years so it wasnt a bad battery.

thanks guys.

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Interstate. Direct replacement.
    The dealer did it. I think they charged $300.00 including installation.
    Ron

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #8 afterburner, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Ron and Afterburner.
    Here's a photo of mine, thinking just to pick up another one locally so I can recycle my old one.
    I think Advanced Autos has it for $207, its on sale now online only @ advancedautos.com ($184, and you get a free $50 store credit coupon with shipping). I just ordered it! Let you guys know how it goes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I put in an Interstate late last year. MTP 91. About $160.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    I put in a Maxx 34N in 2010, purchased at Wally World. In the Johnson Controls' battery catalogue I found online, it indicated that it was the same parts' number as the Interstate 34R that was the recommended replacement.

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Good Luck with it Mike. I bought the same one for anther car of mine, i cant say it worked well for me, maybe i got a tomato, get it? red, tomato.. :D

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 soucorp, Feb 11, 2013
    LoL.... thanks guys, it does have a 3 yr warranty hopefully it will perform ok and since it was on my car for years, seem ok to me to get the same as a replacement.

If I make it to Palooza, Im good. Now have to order some new tires. My friend Luca will give me a hand in changing my cambelts & waterpump in April. Stay tune for thoses threads.

cheers

14. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    About $120 from local Pep Shop Mike.
    It dropped right in after jacking up car, removing front right wheel and aluminum panel.
    Why is nothing easy on these cars?!
    Cheers,
    Greg

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #15 soucorp, Feb 11, 2013
    I tried Pepboys Greg, no such luck. They had Bosch and another brand but no interstate and was told none fitted the Mondial. But Im starting to notice a trend that just because your car is not listed doesnt mean they dont have one that will work. Just need a good xref to the original battery specs.
    thanks

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Why would a normal car battery not fit the Mondial? There is plenty of room there and the cables are long enough to attach.

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Mike I checked in my car today and I have a RayOvac group 34R. Fits there perfectly.

18. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Eugenio got me on a proper battery diet. He insists that I use the Schumacher Battery Tender unit at all times (other than driving).

Earlier, I was using a Deltran unit connected to Rachel's battery. It always showed green. I thought I was good to go ....... WRONG !!!! It didn't toggle over, and thusly, started to drain my battery. Obviously, when I tried to fire Rachel up so we could go to the local C & C, nothing but "click - click".

So guys, here's the drill - - if the magic lady is sitting in your garage, and you have a battery tender connected - - every once in a while, disconnect the AC plug - - start the car - - let her run for as long as you wish - then turn her off. When you reconnect the tender, it should show ORANGE (not the fully charged indicator, GREEN).

Proper battery maintenance can lengthen the battery life by up to 40%, maybe more ! :):)

Cheers, Hank

19. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Optima Red Top. Fits perfectly, cranks right up even after sitting for long periods.

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have a yellow top that I bought in Aug of 2006. It is still working perfectly.

21. Falco

Falco Karting

May 18, 2008
    Cold Lake
    Full Name:
    Chris Martin
    Hi guys, I am suprised that no-one has mentioned the lithium ion batteries.
    They are expensive but comming down in price.
    I have one for my Motorcycle (Turntech)and it works very well weighs 1lb and cost $100.

Lithonics Lithionics Battery (I have no connection) has LiFePo batteries that have some interesting features. One in particular that I like is the never die feature. The battery has its own shut off as the voltage drops and leaves enough to start the car. Weighs 10 lbs. Check out the FAQs for other good stuff.
    I hope to try one in my Mondial this summer.

Chris

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Chris this is interesting - have you talked to Boeing about it?
    Seriously...any safety concerns at all?

23. Falco

Falco Karting

May 18, 2008
    Cold Lake
    Full Name:
    Chris Martin
    Hi. For sure the Li batteries have had their problems. In 1991 Sony recalled 6 million batteries due to some random explosion/fires in their laptops. The Li battery packs have come a long way since then. They are designed and comprehensively tested ( you can search the tests Underwriter Labratories and others do).

The Tesla roadster uses 6831 Li batteries in its power pack, but it has cooling built in.
    The auto starting batteries have thermal/ electrical managment units built in and can shut down the battery - except in the case of internal shorting, but may be able to isolate cells.

The technology is advancing quickly. Nanotech is being employed - allowing faster charge/discharge without overheating and less prone to shorting. A newer type of Li battery, lithium titanate charges faster and lasts longer and is the same price. It is used by Phoenix Motorcars in California and Lightining Cars in the UK.
    The LiFePO batteries are biodegradable. You can use the main components as fertilizer if you wanted.

I have wanted to try one in my cars for a while but the cost was prohibitive. With prices coming down I will try one for one of my vehicles soon.
    These batteries are likely the future for autos.They just need to be less expensive.

Chris

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Chris, I think you can be our first Guinea pig for using a Li Battery on a Mondial.
    I wouldn't even know where to buy one of those.

25. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Chris for your explanations... It would indeed be good to save a few pounds on that right hand front overhang on RHD cars. Driver and battery on the same wheel makes the car dive more on the right front over speed bumps. Let us know your experience with those new batteries please.