First problem | FerrariChat

First problem

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by godabitibi, Sep 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I had my first problem today with my SERA. Well I mean a REAL problem. I took her to work yesterday and she was a dream like always. Again this morning was sunny and nice so I was to drive her again but she wouldn't start. Crank no problem but no start. Not a single effort of firing. I haven't look at anything yet so I don't know if it is ignition or fuel. What are the most commun problems on our lovely 3.2 when they do this?

Maybe she's mad at me because she knows I'm trying to sell her ;-)

2. ssrealty

ssrealty Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Warren
    If the starter cranks, at least this eliminates a bad/burned fuse box.....and or connector.

3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Could still be a burned fuel pump connection at the fuse board...

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Claude, my 88 has never had any starting problems since I've owned her and my fusebox is solid with no burn marks. I guess I'm one of the lucking ones, but besides the fusebox problem, I would check all of the grounds to the engine. Hopefully its not the crank sensor. Spark, fuel, electricals, ...happy troubleshooting.

Best

5. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    If you disconnect the safety switch at the fuel distributor and switch the ignition on, you must be able to hear the fuel pump. That would eliminate the fuel side.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Easy troubleshooting. Disconected the far right connector on the fuse box and the Brown wire connector is burnt. Sqweeze it a bit to try and it started on the spot. I'll have to fix this one.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Same thing happened to me this morning. Annoying. I too fixed it by unplugging and replugging the right side connector a few times while squirting DeOxit.

That will be my next project.

The only issue appears to be the fuel pump and ac connector next to it. The rest of the fuse box is fine. I am planning in bypassing those two connections and using an external connector and soldering thicker wires directly to the plug of the relays.

Winter project.

9. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Claude,
    have a look at my thread which Wade has kindly put the link on his message above. It's a simple fix and parts were very cheap, about $15 including the white plastic connector and about 12 connector pins (some extras too) which I also replaced. The hardest part is removing the wires from the plastic connector which you have to pry off with a small screwdriver in the open end of the connector.
    I replaced all the pins and rather than just crimping them as done in the factory I also soldered them to the ends of the wires before pushing them back into the connector.

Job done in less than an hour. The cheapest and easiest fix for these cars when they simply won't start.

Good luck.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks Peter, I've read your thread. This a possibility but I also thought of doing it with a wire directly from the battery and another relay à la Dave Helm. Another winter project if the car isn't sold.

11. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Claude,
    That's a good solution too and would prevent it from happening again.
    Hopefully this is what the problem is. Does your white plastic connector look burnt out like in my photos?

Cheers.

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  13. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's actually good news, at least it's the common problem we have all come to know and is an easy fix for you.

I found that by pulling out the fuel pump relay and then putting it straight back in that it would allow the car to start. This will at least get you going until you repair it.

Cheers.

14. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    You might want to consider the Dave helms fusebox fix.. has worked wonders for me

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #16 godabitibi, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017