Fuel lines source | FerrariChat

Fuel lines source

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porphy, Jan 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Besides Ricambi, who are great, are there other sources of fuel lines for the Mondial T? I find $700 for one line a bit much.

2. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Are our lines simply AN fuel lines?

3. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ricambi is retailing Dave's line KITS, so it's every line you would need for your car, all sizes and adequate lengths.

Dave does not sell direct.

He's BUSY!!

5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I am talking about the fuel lines from the fuel pumps to the fuel filters, injectors, fuel pressure regulators and and then return to the tank. Dave Helms has the large fuel filler tubes for filling the tank; things that the "T" cab apparently does not need. Dave has no plan to supply these lines in the future. Dave is busy but he always finds time to respond. Fantastic guy.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ah, sorry...yes the injector lines are different. My apologies.

Not a slam on Dave atall, I hope it did not look that way.

7. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    I am in the process of replacing my Mondial t fuel lines (filter to distribution rail) after having nearly completed my engine-out major service. I plan to try to make up my own lines using standard AN fittings. The hard part so far appears to be to find the correct female metric adapters. It looks like they are available from batinc.net. If so, then the rest should be straightforward. I'll report back if I am successful or not.

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    WOW, GOOD INFO AEC. THANKS MUCH. I AM LEANING IN THE SAME DIRECTION. NEWS WOULD BE WELCOME. RANDY

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Just an idea, but perhaps female metric adapters from older Mercedes models will fit. The same fuel filters are also used on Mercedesses. If you have the Bosch filter part number you will usually also find the fuel lines.

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Tijn, do you mean that you can find them at the Mercedes dealer based on the fuel filter number?

11. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    At the fuel filter end of the fuel line from the fuel filter to the fuel rail, one may not even need a female-metric to AN line adapter. It looks like one could replace the metric-male metric-male union at the Bosch filter with a metric-male AN-male union.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    If you know the bosch number you can find out which Mercedes model it is used. Then do a bing/google image search on this model on fuel lines to see if it is of any use. Mercedes dealer could say this as well of course. You can use these fittings/unions making your own lines. Not sure if your old fittings/unions are still good. Usually the rubber line is just not what it used to be.

I carry this one and I believe for a T it is the same. Mercedes models are also mentioned here. These would use the same (fe)male connection as our Mondial. You need to check of course.
    Bosch Fuel Filter 1975 76 Porsche 911T Ferrari Mondial 308 Mercedes 230 500 | eBay

We have a shop here that uses the old fittings/unions if they are still ok to make a new fuel line.

If you do not go for geniune it is a "trial on error" try.. to see what fits.

13. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

I would try one of the salvage yards that cut the cars up.

And what happened to your hard lines that they must be changed.

14. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    They are 24 years old and I fear that all of the pics that I see on the insides of these lines apply to mine especially due to ethanol in the gas, something these lines were not made to put up with. I could be wrong but I would like to err on the side of safety with these lines since I have already experienced severe problems with the disintegration of my rubber fuel pumps sleeves which lead to a complete shutdown of my fuel system due to the small particles of rubber getting into my entire fuel injection system. I would like to replace them with very inert lines, i.e. perhaps fluorocarbon (teflon) lines if I can adapt them. We will see.
    Thanks much for the comment, Johnny.

15. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    I found the following thread that has much information on 348 fuel line replacement, including quite a few good photos.

348 FUEL LINES

It appears that metric hose fittings are used for 45 or 90 degree bends, but for the 180 degree bend they appear to be using a metric to AN adapter (black in color) with an AN 180 degree bend.

Also, batinc.net (and probably other sources) have AN Teflon hose ends in the size 6. So another direction is to use metric to AN adapters and do everything in between with teflon racing hose. This would provide a solution that is relatively cheap but which also upgrades the system relative to original for current fuels. With such Teflon, one could also then argue that no compromises have been made in the interest of cost since it would actually then be an upgrade. I am now leaning in this direction. I have almost completed the reinstallation of my engine. The fuel line replacement will be last.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #16 Wade, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Looks like Verell's lines only apply to K-Jetronic fitted Mondials and the Mondial-T is different. But, I will contact Verell to see if he has anything for the T's. Good info. Thanks much.

18. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #18 porphy, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Apparently the following source makes fuel lines for the 348 (I don't know if there are differences with the "T", but if so, they should be small?) Welcome to the home of Mocal oil coolers and components - Think Auto. The last indication of price was about £190 for the set vs £1500 at the dealer. All of this is in UK. I will inquire.

19. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet! :D

20. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #20 porphy, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    I have an email into Think Auto with the right questions. I will get back to this thread when I have some info. I have no business or personal relationship with Think Auto.

21. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thinkauto can do the fuel lines. I would suggest that the old lines be sent to him in order to assure the proper fit. He has 348 experience but I do not know about Mondial T experience. The pictures I sent him are from club scuderia link in the thread.

Nick Fitzgerald
    Think Automotive Ltd.
    [email protected]
    Tel: +44 20 8232 3521

Here is my last email from Nick:

Dear Nick,

As you are aware we have gasoline with sometimes as much as 10% ethanol in it. Do you have fuel lines that are not destroyed by ethanol containing gasoline, i.e. teflon?

Yes, I would need both sides i.e. all four. There may be others we will see when I send the stuff to you.

I would need the wide 180 degree fitting.

Kind regards.

Randall
    [email protected]

-----Original Message-----
    To: porphy <[email protected]>
    Sent: Fri, Jan 17, 2014 8:46 am
    Subject: RE: Your fax

Randall

It looks quite likely that we would be able to replicate these.

In picture 1, fueline (medium) there are 4 hoses, are these 2 patterns and 2 new hoses or do you need all 4 of those? Do you need the tight 180 or the wide 180’s

Picture 2, Andyhls01 looks like regular Aeroquip hose and fittings or similar so should be very easy.

Picture 3, fuelin (3) (medium) looks like close detail of pic1. We would probably have similar fittings to the blue hose end but not the gold but would need to identify the thread.

Nick Fitzgerald
    Think Automotive Ltd.
    [email protected]
    Tel: 020 8232 3521

Also I read on their website that batinc.net in Florida also do special orders on fuel lines. It might be of interest to check them out more carefully.

22. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #22 porphy, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Very cool! I'll keep this in mind when my 348 comes along :D

One thing for the record. These days and the last 15 to 20 years, fuel lines are made of neoprene rubber, which is resistant to E85, better known Ethanol. In any case if your lines are over 20 years old one should replace them anyway as regular maintenance in my humble opinion.

Good find Randal!

Cheers!

24. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Now the question is whether someone out there has a old set of "T" fuel lines that we could send to Thinkauto to be used as a pattern. I am sure we can get them back if that is an issue. We don't have E85 yet in my state but we do have E90. In any case these lines need replacing before you get a complete fuel system shutdown like me. I will not be able to get access to mine for some time. I am replacing the ventilator/heater fan motor and it is quite a job (dash out).

25. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    #25 aec, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017