New kid in town | FerrariChat

New kid in town

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bartzagato, Jan 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #1 bartzagato, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hy all

Lurking for a long time on the 308 and Mondial forum, SantaClaus brought me a nice gift in the well known shape of a 1982 Mondial QV.
    It was the best car I saw in my hunt for a nice Dino GT4 or Mondial. The color still has to grow on my, I prefered grey or blue; but hey, this one was so nice & cheap, I couldn't resist.

It's an original Italian (Roma) imported to Belgium 2 one year ago.
    The PO was an Italian who bought it very cheap from a family member in Italy, but started his own business so needed the money.
    His loss my gain! :)

The only maintenance record is a sticker in the door for an oil change in Roma.
    So I messed up rule number 1: maintenance records are a pro
    All other rules are also broken; no testdrive, the engine was started for a few minutes just to hear her heartbeat. Since the belts could be as old as .... I didn't want to make into a belt-lottery. She started in a second, and ran very smooth, no smoke no weird noises... no oildrips on the floor. Just a nice, solid car in need of a large maintenance: belts, rubber hoses, brakes, oil flushing...

No worries: I've skilled enough to do the maintenance myself: I just finished a nut to bold restauration on a Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato.

So the garage is filled now with 3 Red Italians: Lancia Fulvia Zagato, a nice '80s Vespa PX for the lady and now a red Mondial.

and now for the real deal: picturetime!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats!

3. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Congratulations! Glad she has found a good home.

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice! I think I looked at this one too near the Dutch border? I forgot the name's village.. Nice car and technically ok. For this amount you can make it grey if you like. :)

Congrats! and enjoy the wrenching!

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You are very fortunate to have the ability and knowledge to do all that work yourself - enjoy

6. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Congratulations!

If those are old TRX tires you will want to change them before you do any long distance driving.

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    very happy for you.i have a cabriolet and just love it.in my opinion the only thing your car needs as all mondials do are different wheels.many are available,348,355 and even 360 with slight modifications will work.i put 360 modular wheels in my car and boy howdy does it look cool.enjoy!

8. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Thanks guys

Tijn, indeel this is the car - Budel was the town.

I agree on the tire/wheel thing, those tires: still amazed they hold air, my granny has a much smoother skin! ;-)

I'd prefer 348 or mondial 3.2 wheels, but those OZ future wheels I've see on the wheelstread (silver QV) are also a winner.

Tell me I'm wrong, but I've never seen a pic (or in real life) a mondial on the 16" 308 superperformance wheels... I think they look very Nice under a Mondial 8 or QV.

First I need to make Some space in the garage before I can tackle this car.

Ciao

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Congratulations! Looks great.

10. Mondial 1985

Mondial 1985 Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Mark Alan Day
    Congratulations! I just received an '85 Cab. this Christmas. I, too, made the mistakes. No test drive and the cam belt receipt is suspicious. Needs brake booster repair and shift linkage repair.

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    if you have very basic mechanical skills and can follow directions the cam belt,tensioners replacement is a peice of cake.website by birdman ferrari gives very good pictures and description.also with a couple special tools,one bought,one made,the clutch is also pretty easy.enjoy!

12. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Just bought the belts & maintenance stuff to keep me of the streets the next few weeks. Is there any chance there are camlock tools available for the quadvalve V8's? Unobtainium only has it for the 2V engines.

13. chrispy2926

chrispy2926 Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    victoria,australia
    Full Name:
    christopher davies
    Beautiful car
    Congratulations

14. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ah its nice to see these future classics going to good homes. The forum boys and girls here will keep you on the path of righteousness....:)

15. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Not that I have seen. I have read of people using some of the generic ones on eBay with some success. You could also make your own.....

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
  17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #17 afterburner, Feb 22, 2014
    Those are Superformance Mondial wheels on my QV.

18. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I meant the 16" wheels made for 308/dinogt4. I kinda like those more than the Mondiwheels.
    I think it's an offset issue, but don't want to make this another wheels thread. ;)

I think I'm gonna try to make a decent cam lock tool out of Ertalon.

19. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Yes!

20. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #20 bartzagato, Mar 4, 2014
    Hurray. Garage is empty, the zagato is now parked in a rental garage in the village. I cleaned up the garage in the house and made some extra shelves for storage.

Since my house is build in the 60's and cars were like small (mini, beetle, Lancia Fulvia...) the Mondial feels like a cruise ship in a inflatable swimmingpool. But we can manage.

Got my some Birdman approved paperclamps.

This morning I went out early to the garage the mondial was stocked. Loaded the (o my god this thing is heavy on it's wide tires) car and drover her home.

I got the chance to explore her a bit. I had a couple of hours today to dig in.
    Discovered allready some strange things: PO tried to take out battery the wrong way (through the front boot) and there was a belt missing: waterpump-alternator. waterpump and alternator seem ok; they rotate fine. there is some yellow-ish dust around the waterpump pully. Maybe the fearies robbed it and left golddust behind? Dunno, but it's suspicious.

Anyone changed the camseals by hiselve? Please share your do's/don'ts. :D

New waterpump, Hill bearings, belts and full service kit is waiting for their new task.

I smelled a wiff of fuel when I turned the key - the fuelpump pumped up a bit (2-3 sec). I'm not into investigating that, but if you can direct me to the solution...

So, the 'while I'm in there' has struck bigtime! ;)

But it's fun.

21. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #21 bartzagato, Mar 4, 2014
    off course everything is bagged & tagged.
    How do you all clean the distribution area? Brake cleaner and a paintbrush and a tub under the car? Other suggestions?

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  23. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Not sure if you have plates already to be able to drive on the public road? We have carwashes with degreasing guns. Took of the inner fender and nothing more. Drove to the carwash. Took off the wheel. degreased the belt side of the engine and during the drive home it dries up. The rest I did with break cleaner. Keep your garage door open when working with this stuff :p

24. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #24 bartzagato, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Nah, these belts are a pure lottery ticket (one with 0 options for winning).
    Starting this engine is no option, as is driving: hole in watertank, rear brakes stuck and the old crumbled tires are just waiting to burst.

I think this will be the hard way: degreaser, a brush and lots of lots of time.

Was your engine as dirty as mine? Also cam seals? Did you change them? Came across any difficulties?

On the good side: PO managed to change a lot of hoses.

25. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    NICE!!! :D I didn't see the pics this morning on the previous page/post yet! :) Sweet! This one was on my list to buy :)

Mine was similar different pattern, but not leaking from the camshafts.
    For your Fuel smell.. Check if the Fuel accumulater is not leaking. same side behind the heat shield located under your air intake from the side. Green can with an appendix. If it leaks from the appendix you will need to replace it.

I did not needed to do my camshaft seals as they where not leaking.