Intermittent Check Engine Light | FerrariChat

Intermittent Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rk618, Jan 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rk618

rk618 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Roy K.
    So, while driving my '92 Mondial T, after a few minutes of driving, I had the yellow "Check Engine Light 1/4" come on intermittently. It did so again this morning. The interesting thing is that I noticed today, that it would do so only when the vehicle was stopped at idle-- as in when I came to a stop at a traffic light. After being stopped for some 10 seconds, the light would go on. Immediately when I accelerated from a stop because the traffic light turned green, the CEL would disappear. The "slow down" lights never came on. After this happened this morning, I parked the car for about an hour, and when I drove it an hour later, no lights ever came on. I understand that, generally, the CEL is an indicator of catalytic converter temperature, and if the light persists, it usually requires an new CAT ECU (I had the other bank's CAT ECU replaced several months ago after the CEL and slow down lights came on and remained on causing that bank to shut down). However, with this being only an intermittent problem that seems to occur invariably only when stopped at idle, I wonder if there are any other ideas about what this could be-- O2 sensor ?, mass air flow sensor ?, or just a sporadic electrical gremlin.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hey Roy. The red slowdown light is essentially a cat temp light. The yellow CEL just tells you a fault or out of range parameter is detected by the engine computer.

I would suspect an o2 sensor based on your description. Your car is a 92 like ours so you can probably get the code yourself. The test buttons are in the trunk behind the firewall. Just remove the carpeted panel with the two quarter turn screws.

Then go to My Ferrari 348 for instructions and a list of error codes.

Dave

3. rk618

rk618 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Roy K.
    Dave:

Thanks. I was under the wrong impression that the CEL, like the slow down light, also related to the CAT temperature but it's good to know that I was wrong. I looked through the 348 linked thread re: pulling codes, and will do that this week to see what I get.

Thanks for the info.

4. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #4 davebdave, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No problem. One of the possible error codes for the yellow CEL is "4122 - Cat temp too high" so that is a possibility, just not the focus of the light.

Depending on the build date you may or not have the test buttons. Here is a photo of one of ours.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Dave! Do you need to buy a computer to plug into the car?

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Not if you have the Motronic 2.7. You just hold the test button for five seconds to enter the test mode and then watch the dash CEL lights blink the codes. The earlier Ts with the Motronic 2.5 don't have the test buttons. I'm not sure if one can be installed. The computers that can read these ECUs are very expensive.

Dave

7. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Dave what is "very expensive"? I was not aware that they even existed. More info would be of interest. Are they only available through the dealers? Thanks.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Awesome!! Thanks Dave!!!!

9. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Our independent shop Competizione in Maryland has one and they said it was a $20,000 piece of equipment. It was very advanced though, connecting to a laptop computer and giving real time data.

There are cheap handheld OBD1 fault code readers but I've never seen one that says it will work on a Ferrari, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

One advantage of taking the car to a shop, is they can usually narrow down the problem, where getting a fault code just gives you a clue. Perhaps a BMW, Porsche, or Volvo shop might also be able to read it. I don't know.

You might ask in the 348 section. Those guys are die-hard do-it-yourself types. If there's an inexpensive way to read Motronic 2.5 codes, they will know.

Dave

10. rk618

rk618 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Roy K.
    So I followed Dave's very helpful advice that linked to the procedure to pull the ECU codes, and did that. There were 3 stored codes:

2111- this is listed in the linked page as an "undocumented code" but appears to be related to the intake air compensation solenoid valve-- which is known to cause a wind whistling type sound between 3,000 to 5,000 rpms. does not appear to be a big deal.

4114-this code corresponds to the TDC control unit. my suspicion is that because my CEL is only coming on when the car is at idle for about 30 seconds or more, and then disappears as soon as the car is in motion, and that it does this even when the car is not hot, that this is the true culprit of the CEL coming on when it does. It could be either a bad TDC rpm sensor unit itself, or a loose connection.

4121-the dreaded catalyzer temp ECU. I replaced a CAT ECU a couple of months ago because I had this issue before (with the slow down lights staying on), and ended up switching the CAT ECU's to opposing sides, putting a whole new unit one on one side, and switching the other one (which did not malfunction) to the other side. This code may be a relic from a couple of months ago when this was done (I am hoping). Because I am not getting the "Slow down" light coming on along with the CEL, and because the CEL comes on at idle even when the vehicle is not at hot temperature, I am optimistically hoping that it is not a CAT ECU issue for real.

Any thoughts ?

I cleared all the codes from the ECU after pulling them, so I will see if the CEL continues to come on, and if it does, I will recheck to see if all of the same codes are still present. The thing is, the car runs and performs perfectly. The only issue is that the CEL 1-4 comes on at idle whenever the car is stopped at a light for about 20-30 seconds or more. I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking something that could lead to a more major issue if not taken care of now.

Thanks again to Dave for the helpful link on pulling the codes.

11. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I'm glad you were able to get the codes. What to do with them I have no idea.
    If you suspect an rpm sensor you could buy a couple of the $20 kia sensors mentioned in the 348 parts exchange. We are running two with no issues at all. They are a quick swap and even if you aren't a believer in the Kia part it will at least let you know if that's the trouble.

Cleaning connectors can help but the * is that the connectors become weaker with every connection cycle. Kind of a catch 22.

Dave

12. rk618

rk618 Rookie

Feb 28, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Roy K.
    Getting the Kia rpm sensor may be the possible next step. The funny thing is that after I cleared the codes and posted here about it, I took the car for a 20+ mile drive, and the CEL came on during idle only once at the beginning of the drive. After that, despite the fact that I was stopped at a number of lights--a situation that previously would have brought on the CEL without fail-- the CEL did not come on anymore. I am guessing (hoping) that clearing the ECU codes may have solved some of the reasons for it coming on in the first place. We'll see how she does over the next few days.

Thanks again.

13. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    That's a good sign. The ECU will take some time to adjust after a fault clears. You can do a global reset also. Switch off or disconnect battery for 15 minutes. Then start without touching the gas pedal and let idle for 10 minutes before moving the car.

Dave

14. jefery

jefery Rookie

Sep 29, 2016
    Hi there, im new to the forum here. I am an import service tech for 35 years, and i have a 92 348TS with a failing mass air sensor on the right side.. It has water intrusion into the sensor and connector. It flags an overheat code for the right side. Bosch number 0 280 212 018. Obsolete, out of production. I have read through the posts pertaining this issue, but all that i find are alternate part numbers that might need to be modified to work. I am running into a wall trying to find any direct fit part. I am willing to change both sensors to insure they read the same. My apologies if i am posting this incorrectly