Shim Removal Tool Ferrari and Fiat X19 | FerrariChat

Shim Removal Tool Ferrari and Fiat X19

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Jan 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Does onyone know the Ferrari shim diameter? I was wandering if the shim removal tool would work with both cars.

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    OK Sorry Folks I should have done some research before jumping on here and posting.
    It seems that the fiat shims are 33mm and the Ferrari ones are 29mm..... close but no cigar.

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Although the tool is a single forked affair so it should work on both cars right?

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Recall seeing a thread that shims from a Volvo will work.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    only one 2V engines

6. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Fiat (128 - 127 - iscunonove - ...) uses the same shims as the 2-valve V8 ferrari: 33mms.

I haven't asked yet, but a good parts supplier perhaps can get the 29mm valve shims...

Bell, you can order your X1/9 shims at SP if you like. ;-)

7. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    The X1/9 motor is a SOHC and the tool works by depressing both valve buckets at the same time, with the tool between them so supported on both sides. I doubt that it would stay put when depressing a single bucket as in the 2v 308.

There's an old thread somewhere that says that the tool for the Fiat DOHC motor used in the 124 works on the 308. I've never tried it.

The Fiat SOHC and DOHC use the same shims, 33mm.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Chaps, I was just wondering that if I got the tool from Superperformance for Kato the Ferrari Mondial QV, would it work on Otto the Fiat X19 too. I know this is a tricky one since it is really s cross forum question. I guess the answer is to try it. ;-)

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Fiat 124 tool works great on 2 valve 308s. Had one for a while, but gave it to my techs since I had no further use for it. Two curved prongs pushed down on either side of the lifter and the shim popped out easily with a small screwdriver or ice pick.

10. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Cheers Taz, Guys, I'll get the Ferrari one I think and try it on the Fiat too.

11. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    Volvo 240 and x1/9 shims are the same

12. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    The Fiat SOHC cam tool for the X1/9 can be found by asking around Xweb Forums, there's guy there has started making repros and there are a fair number of originals still floating around. Midwest-Bayless and Fiatplus could probably find one for you as well. It works so well that I wouldn't waste my time looking for anything else.

(I'm looking for a Fiat DOHC tool for my 308)

13. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Great stuff Eric, I will do that instead. Cheers Gents for all your help here.

14. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    Some thread necromancy in a worthy cause, as I just finished swapping out a 308 shim using the Fiat tools.

First, the two prong DOHC tool available in the US aftermarket will not work on a two-valve 308. It's too tall to fit under the camshaft, and the prongs are wide enough that they won't clear the bosses at #1 and #5 cylinders. It's quite possible that original Fiat tool would work, but I don't have one.

Second, and to my surprise, the one prong SOHC tool needs just a touch of grinding to work just fine on the rear bank of the 2V 308. All that is needed is to bring the height of the "fin" down a bit, and to taper the nose a bit... Both changes that will likely be helpful on the SOHC Fiat motor as well.

I'm not sure about the front bank with the engine in, as the handle may foul on the front bulkhead. If it does, well that's what welders and cutoff wheels are for.

15. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I think taking the cams off and also changing the seals and O rings while in there is the best way.

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- The one I had was an OEM Fiat tool for the 124 Spider.

17. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Any chance the Fiat SOHC valve tool would work on the Colombo 4-cam V12's ?

18. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    In the Mondial t repair manual, it states that valve shims can be removed by applying a jet of compressed air to the base of the shim. I have used this method and it works well. No need for a special tool.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #19 Rifledriver, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Well, how do you depress the cam follower and hold it while you are blowing out the shim?

That's what the special tools are for, to facilitate removal, not physically removing the shim.

20. aec

aec Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    Weston, MA
    Yes, you are correct of course. Sorry about my mistake. I had my camshafts already out, so I was thinking of that scenario!

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In that case you did it the hard and messy way.

Much easier to lift the follower out and pop the shim out with a small pointy tool.

22. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Last Colombo V12 250 I worked on had rockers from a central camshaft, so no tool needed......unless you are referring to the quad cam motor....is that still referred to as Colombo?

23. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Yes,the four-cam or quad-cam Colombo pre 1967 :)

I read that this simple Fiat tool could be used although slightly altered ?? Need help to confirm though...

24. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  25. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Just checking dimensions for you but yes I think it will work.