new seat upholstery | FerrariChat

new seat upholstery

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srephwed, Mar 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I know I have seen info before but can't find it.can anyone tell me a reasonable place to get new seat upholstery for my Mondial? thanks for any help

2. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I just used Vic at Topsonline.com in CA. $1,395 for front seats complete. Got them in two weeks. Quality looks top notch. They are getting installed this week. Pictures coming soon. Best price I found by far.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #4 godabitibi, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Looks great.did you get the covers from him or send the seats and have them installed? I would probably like to buy the covers and have them installed locally.thanks for your help

6. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I'm having them installed locally.

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey chaps,

You're probably on top of this - but ......... your seats are comprised of more than "meets the eye". If the factory support straps and foam are gone, no new seat "cover" will look right. Do make sure that your seats don't need additional help, even before new covers are applied.

Cheers,

Hank

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Mine were installed by him. I sent the seats. I also bought my 308 covers from him but I'm installing them myself but I should have send them too.

9. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Thanks for the heads up. They are being installed by a professional I've used before. I believe I'm in good hands. I'll let you all know how I make out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Those really look great. Its refreshing to know there are skilled and reasonable people out there that can provide top notch service.

11. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I used a local outfit for mine, and they were also WAY gone. I'm in Detroit, so there are tons of people that work on every aspect of cars old and new. The dream cruise keeps them in business. It wasn't too cheap, but I had a lot more done than just the seats because a previous owner dyed them grey over the tan. Someone also took a wet car cover and put it in the back seat without it being dry, and the seats didn't like that at all. Hard, dry and cracked, and the metal framing was showing through. While the gray looked good from far away, you could see the tan starting to come through in spots. I paid just over $3000, but I changed all leather in the interior that wasn't black, and the sun visors. I subsequently went back and had all carpets re-done including the trunk, and some other stuff. The guy even called me up halfway through the first time and said it be expensive to reproduce the crease in the headrest, and suggested that for significantly less money, he would cover it flat and they fed the prancing horse logo into a computer that stitched it onto the headrest in the same color as the leather. What a beautiful touch that turned out to be.

I visited several shops, including one that was about 5 store fronts down the street from where I ended up having it done. The first guy came out to the lot, looked at the car and shot me a price, saying he'd knock some off if I removed the seats myself. The second guy gave me a tour of his shop, showed me the other cars he was working on, took me to the back to show me his inventory of hydes and skins, and I went with him. Another good reason to go local, is that it's easy to take care of little things down the road. My problems especially was that if I did something in one spot, it might look out of place compared the spots not repaired. I speak very highly of my guys, and I've spent over $4500 with them on 2 cars over 4 trips, one being customer service related. I even gave them before an after pictures to use in their portfolio, post boards, web sites, etc. The only thing I wish I had done was ask for what Hank had done. I wish I had the Daytona style, but I had mine done before seeing Hank's.

Just pluggin' the locals.

Regards,
    Brian

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ok that does it.. Even though my seats are very nice, I am so so tempted to do a Hank job on my seats, or at very least... Just new stock again. That's beautiful.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Hank seats are so nice I would understand your move. I was tempted to do it on my 308 but I'm too much an original stuff guy.

BTW have you done a deal with the SL?

14. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just got my front bolsters fitted that Vic from TopsOnline sent me.
    Really happy with the job and quality of the leather as was my trimmer
    ++++++4 ofr Vic and great price to boot

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Claude, Did he renew the foam in your seats as well?

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I don't know exactly what he did but they were nice and comfortable. I guess he must have add some foam to cover the crease. I really can't tell and I didn't ask. I was just happy with the result.

17. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

That makes the car look so much better -- the sight of a well loved car.

18. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    #18 porchnut, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was going to start a new thread today and saw this one and thought I might as well ask my question here.
    I am going to have my seats re-dyed and have started the process of removing the old dye and was wondering about the color.
    The guy that is going to do my seats has done a lot of F cars in the FL. area so he is not new to the cars. He is telling me the original color of the seats was kinda on the orange side of the spectrum.
    I have attached a few pic's of the start of the stripping off the old dye and you can just make out the original color a little. The striped part is on the right of the pictures.
    Would the Ferrari gods look down on me if I don't have the correct color if I go with a tan color I like? Does it de-value the car if the color is not correct? I am kinda of leaning towards the tan color that is under the old dye (the color on the right of the pic's).
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Andy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Are you also doing the center console and the doors?
    If not, it would make sense to color match to those panels.

20. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought my seats were OK until I saw Claude's. That's magnificent, like a brand new Mondial. I want mine done now :(.
    I need something to go wrong on my car so I stop spending money on nice-to-have's! (Did I really just say that...!???.....)

21. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Doing the whole interior, dash, center console, door panels, and seats!!!!

22. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

Wow... that is going to look nice. Can't wait to see the photos when finished.

23. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

I would go with the factory color... the difference might appear small, it might look better, it might look odd, why gamble?

ps. but more importantly, wear the color you are proud of, whichever it is. :)

24. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Porchenut, what did you use to strip the paint off the leather? Lacquer thinner? Or is there something less aggressive?

25. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Doing door s, dash, center console, basically everything !