Classic meets classic. A tale of two pretties | FerrariChat

Classic meets classic. A tale of two pretties

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Valenzo, Mar 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #1 Valenzo, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So as some here know, ive been on the hunt for another classic to keep my Mondial company. My object of desire was/is the 1988 Mercedes 560SL. For a few reasons.

1. It was an SL (380) that sealed the deal with me and spawned my love of classic cars. You see, my mother purchased a new one in 1983 and at mature age of 16, she relied on me to go pick it up at the dealership. What a beauty! I spied it instantly as the salesman walked me back to the service bay, freshly prepped and dawning two custom details... Flat euro headlights and dayton wire wheels. Man, i still remember the awe.

2. It was the first car i learned to drive in and the first car i kissed my very first woman in. A raven headed beauty with points all her own sitting firm and high :)

3. The 380 would be the emotional choice but the rational choice would be the 560 because of its overall improvements and the 88 is the cosmic choice because of the never ending symbol of life that it represent.

I bought mine today. A 1988 560SL in desert sand and linen. An original owner but now deceased (god rest his soul) and from all indications, a Hank & George type caretaker of this beauty. Exactly what i was looking for.

As the son of a gentleman, the seller accepted my offer, received my deposit and took down his ad. I will retrieve her on April 8th, using my Sprinter and trailer. Ironically , she is located just a few miles from my home in IL.

The following are not actual picture of my SL since the seller took down the ad before i could save them, but rather the same color and eventual appearance when i put my touches on.

Ill update this thread when i retrieve this classic and hopefully some of you will enjoy the journey with me and the eventual acquaintance when one beauty meets the other. Man can not live on Mondial alone.

Lets see your stable mates.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #2 Valenzo, Mar 15, 2014
  3. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #3 Valenzo, Mar 15, 2014
  4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Wow! Cherry.

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Beautiful car.
    Good for you.

6. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Funny you bring this up. It was a red Mercedes-Benz 560SL that made me decide to go to college. Quick history. As children, my parents (and grandparents) immigrated from the Soviet Union in the 1940's. Neither of my parents graduated from high school and I grew up in a blue collar working class family.

Upon graduating from high school in the late 80's, my first job was working in stockroom. After cashing my 1st check at my local bank, I was walking back to my [dad's] car when a bright red 560SL pulls up right in front of me. A "yuppie" jumped out with a briefcase and walked past me into the bank.

That following week I started requesting college catalogs.

True story.

Joe

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

Great story. Funny how my story actually takes place around your house. Another first memory is getting arrested in this car, on springbrook rd in front of the fire station. You know, that notorious rd for speed traps and apparently my license was suspended for non payment of a ticket back in high school.

8. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Good job Ted. IIRC you ordered a European head light. Make sue you have the right light connector as the US version light has a different connector. Congratulations!

9. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    No. Haven't ordered them yet. Still looking for them. They're pricy so ill make sure I get the right ones. Thanks for tip

10. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Love them... We had a 1978 450se growing up with over half a million miles when I sold it - that generation on Mercs were so good.

When living in Germany my boss had a manual 320sl then the 560sl. On a wet autobahn, with just the soft top up, he stretched his legs out and the 560's. With one hand on the wheel his other hand gestured ( he was a very Italian german) a wave/flick away from himself and he said (looking at me, not the road!) " now it runs, now it goes" as we passed 260km / hr on the way to 270 something......

11. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That's a really nice SL.

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #12 Valenzo, Mar 16, 2014
    It just does it for me.

It will be the alternate with my Mondial and hope to never put the top up. My Mondial is going to spend a spring/summer camp with Dave Helms in CO so ill get plenty of time to get to know this ole girl.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. B11ocx

B11ocx Karting

Jan 30, 2014
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #13 B11ocx, Mar 16, 2014
  14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Congrats Teddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This being Fchat, you must promise to use our email connection to send pictures of your beautiful new family member. I can't wait to see them !!!!!!!!

BTW, Rachel is presently in Eugenio's capable hands :)

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Oh you know I will. I agree with you however, I'm breaking two cardinal rules here, posting only renditions of my actual car and on a site of another marque. I'm toeing the line.

But as soon I pick it up, you'll be the first to have a looksie.

16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    That's awesome Jon. I searched for a 500 but only well used versions surfaced. Gorgeous views and a great looking car there!

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    BTW, you must also promise to take care of her "for me" :):):)

Drive her in the very best of health, my friend.

Hankie

18. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #18 RoPo54, Mar 16, 2014
  19. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That's beautiful, Ted. Enjoy it.

Regards,
    Brian

20. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Very nice, Ted.
    You truly are a man with style and good taste.
    Enjoy it.

DavidJ

21. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Ted:

Nice car, should have many good times driving that with the top down, along the ocean.

Only suggestion I have. Have a plan B for transportation, just in case Moter Nature still feels the eastern part of the country needs more snow. Put it on a big truck and head her south.

Chuck

22. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    No thunder stealing here, but isn't it the lighting that's more interesting? This is a thread about other equally intriguing passions comparable to the Mondial or like. Your interior is Exquisite. I thought about white, this car does white well but every one I found has the blue leather and I detest blue leather. Sorry on the blue fans out there but it's just not me. Mwhite and palomino is very nice. Much like that powder blue kaman ghia over your shoulder, that's cool too.

23. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Chuck.. If I could fly home and drive it back, I would. But I've got some other chit I need to pull out of the other house so it only makes sense to tow it back. Plus, I can't wait to see it on my trailer, and in my rear view mirror.

24. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #24 hank sound, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    And having spent time with this individual, I must add, he is a man made of goodness and grace.

When I find people that are made of "lead" ........... OK - fine, they're gone - done deal. But when I discover a person, made like a diamond, I'll treasure them forever. That's you, Teddy !

:)Hankie

25. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Please. I'm going to take this beauty to charm school and bring her back to the pageant. Then she will be driven and be the belle of the ball. I'm bringing sexy back, baby. She currently has 4 pimples .. For now.