Mondial Plenum Chamber and Pipes Overhaul | FerrariChat

Mondial Plenum Chamber and Pipes Overhaul

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Mar 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Here we go again Folks, but this time it's prevenative and cosmetic maintenance.
    I figured I would keep Em' company whilst she was working on her X19 and do some minor stuff on Kato. You know those non urgent jobs that keep on getting put off but if left can leave you stranded, like old cooling pipes etc.
    Also now I have my flat floorpan/engine undertray in I feel ready to do some engine cosmetic work, which I shall do in stages so I can keep the car on the road.
    Anyway here is the first part video. The Removal of the Plenum Chamber and some little nasties I found.

All the best, Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI0B5qX5g1g&feature=youtu.be

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Here we go again Folks, but this time it's prevenative and cosmetic maintenance.
    I figured I would keep Em' company whilst she was working on her X19 and do some minor stuff on Kato. You know those non urgent jobs that keep on getting put off but if left can leave you stranded, like old cooling pipes etc.
    Also now I have my flat floorpan/engine undertray in I feel ready to do some engine cosmetic work, which I shall do in stages so I can keep the car on the road.
    Anyway here is the first part video. The Removal of the Plenum Chamber and some little nasties I found.

All the best, Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI0B5qX5g1g&feature=youtu.be

3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #3 Todd308TR, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Well done. I haven't watched all 22 minutes yet, but is Emily involved?

FYI get yourself some gloves like these and wear your rubber gloves under them.

http://www.mechanix.com/automotive

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  6. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Bell

I had the lower rubber sleeve (waterpump to coolingtower) off when I changed the waterpump. But I think the new one is flex enough to put in place: so cut out the old one.

Can we vote for a Mondial DIY channel? :D
    Saturday night, there was nothing on tv, so I watched a guy tiling his bathroom. I know, I know, but I wasn't ready to go to sleep. ;)

happy wrenching!

Bart

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes, Bart I agree, vote for a Mondial DIY channel!!
    I'd subcribe ;-)

Cheers for the pipe advice bit, I'll check that out in the morning if I get the chance.

All the best, Bell

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    If you ever had to do this job again you might consider removing the manifolds and the plenum in unit. It greatly improves access to those cooling pipes and it avoids the whole issue of the plenum spacers dropping down the manifolds.

In order to do it you need to loosen (not remove) the 8 nuts under the plenum (that secure it to the manifolds) so that there is a bit of play between the three parts when you lift them off. Then just undo all the nuts at the base of the manifolds with a magnetic tool handy in order to catch/remove the nuts & washers.

Otherwise all you need to do first is to remove the throttle cable & disconnect the fuel pipes from the top of each injector. Its a lot easier to R&R the injector seals on the bench as well.

9. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    As usual, great over the top highly detailed work Bell !
    Great idea on the DIY Channel...

C H E E R S
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8yJQlwRf3c[/ame]

11. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    If you do loosen the waterpump, DO change the rubber sealant between block and housing. Available @ eurospares for cheap. ( but you need to buy extras, because they don't send under 7£, so ordered other usefull stuff)

12. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #12 enzo360, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Changing those hoses was the first big work on my car I did myself as one literally had burst (you can see the burst pipe in the middle of the pic). The bottom hose: just cut it out as Bart says and the new one is flex enough to put on. It is a pain to work in there as space is a big issue.
    Cheers and a big thank you for the vids.
    ps 1. you can order some new plenum intake rubbers to get to the Superformance quotum ;-)
    ps 2. what do you guys use to actually clean the engine?

Jurgen
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ha ha Todd, lost in translation, love it ;-)

Hi Iain, you know I had considered doing that but I didn't want to remove the injectors but now as you can see it looks like they have to come out now anyway and the truth is I'll probably end up taking off the whole lot.
    This always seems to be the way with me, I start off intending not to go too far and end up stripping everything because I can't just do a half job.
    But that's cool, I love it really.
    all the best, Bell

Ps, Iain, what did you mean by R&R?

14. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Phew that's a relief I'll do as you guys have said then ;-)

I use parafin or Keroscene to clean the engine, it cuts grease and oil without being fumey and doesn't make your hands sore, it also is a lubricant for siezed threads.

15. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    +1

Although that would have spoiled the sense of drama and suspense wondering if any spacers were going to fall into the engine!

If the injectors are that loose you will likely find that not only the O rings need replacing but the injector bushes as well as the rings can wear a groove in the bush if there has been movement. Dont buy these from Ferrari, the price is outrageous, get them from Jan at ferrari400parts.com. He also stocks the O rings.

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #16 MvT, Mar 17, 2014
    I see you are in an area you have never gone before. A whole lot of things you can find in there to have preventive maintenance on as you mentioned ;)
    The Engine Bay: The final frontier! To boldly go where no mechanic has gone before.

I think I took all what was rubber.. away :) and more!

17. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT. got any after engine pics?

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #18 PV Dirk, Mar 17, 2014
    I pulled the waterpump to replace the hoses during my timing belt service and got the smaller one to the expansion tank all without removing the plenum. Removing the plenum scared me. Now watching your video, doesn't look so bad.

I enjoyed working on my car so much last time I did the full service. However I've been busy and life has been crazy so I've toyed with the idea of having someone do the next service. Watching your video makes me want to be back in elbows deep. Well, elbows isn't exactly correct, I had been working on the alternator and the dip stick tube right before this picture was taken.

Looking forward to the next installment.

19. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ha ha great picture!

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #20 MvT, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Mother nature has decided it should rain today. Lady gray is tucked in under a moltex cover at the moment, but will a video also do? Now that we have raised the bar for wanting a channel :p

Haha PV Dirk! I come home every time with some black stripe on my face. There is not a moment when something is not in your face the moment you get under the wheel arches! Your Mondi just love you! ;)

We have a carwash cabin with a degreaser gun. Before taking the degreaser gun I spray with "dasty ontvetter" and let it soak in for 5 to 10min. Just google/Bing on this stuff.. you will see miracles.

21. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Its a QV I think so the injector mounting system might be a bit different from the 328....

22. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Fantastic video Bell,

It really is very inspirational as I have been planning to paint mine since I bought it.

Thanks for a great guide to us all.

Cheers.

23. bartzagato

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Nice warpaint, I think I'm in the same squadron. :D

24. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    R/R probably more accurate - Repair/Renew

....and I know exactly what you mean - I ended up just taking the whole damn engine out ;)

25. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The QV is the same I think. 2 valve different.