CV Boot 88 3.2 | FerrariChat

CV Boot 88 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dfranzen, Mar 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    My right inner CV boot is spewing grease, it doesnt appear that its split it seems to be from the edge of the boot (like the band is not sealing well)

Is there some way to fix without removing per say installing "hose clamp" band ?

if not are these the correct porsche parts numbers for the 88 3.2?

930-332-034-00-M60 // CV Joint, 911 Turbo (1977-84)
    901-332-293-12-M60 //CV Boot, 911 (1974-mid 1975), 911 Turbo (1975-84)

i found this old thread to obtain above numbers

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/252327-removing-cv-joints.html

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
  3. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    The joint is a common Lobro used on many Euro cars from VW, Merc, Porsche, Ferrari, Opel, etc. I found the cheapest source for exact match to be for a 1992 Porsche 968 CV boot at $38 each plus shipping at rockauto.com. Once you have the axle out, do both ends, don't cheap out and just do the one.

The cheaper version is for an early VW transporter Raybestos PN 8162011 at $11 each, but the bolt holes are slightly smaller and would need to be drilled, but it will fit eventually.

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi there, maybe this may help, here's how to replace both gaters on a driveshaft without taking the shaft off.
    Please note that I still cleaned out both CV joints and packed with fresh grease.
    This was one of the first jobs I did on Kato, hence the engine etc looks a bit of a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s8P7i4-hSg

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    thats a great video

so the cv joint itself does not have to be changed? mine has less than 40k miles

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Nice video, nice gold watch, bracelet and ring.

But, I would have put a long extension in there and remove the CV bolts and take the whole thing out to a bench with a vise.

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    That's correct no need to change the joint and Yelcab is right, it's better to remove the shaft really. However I needed the car in a hurry for a function and the joint was uncontaminated.
    Regards Bell :)

8. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    #8 RichardAguinsky, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Bell for confirming that the CV boots can be replaced without taking out the complete axle. The driver's side is fine, I just replaced the boots on that side by taking out the complete axle. It is the passenger's side the tough one, on which I'll try your method.

BTW for NA dyi'ers. The CV boots I got from AW Parts in NJ did not fit my car, they are smaller. Did anybody have any problems with AW boots? Or are my dust covers just larger? See pictures below. The large one is the Lobro and the small one is the AW Parts one.

The previous CV boots I got some years ago are Lobro 2153 15 75 00 003.

Richard

1984 Mondial QV Cab
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Richard, the boots should all be the same size ie like for like.
    All the best, Bell

10. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #10 dfranzen, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I got the passenger axle out

used Birdman instructions However one note to add place at least 1 -2 lug bolts back into the hub otherwise the axle will spin inside the brake rotor

I soaked the inner bolts for 3 days

I used the 1/2 inch extension set from Harbor Freight 15, 8 and 4 in extension together to be able to use my "gorilla lug wrench" handle outside the wheel well

now need to order the boots and disassemble and reinstall
    thanks for all the helpful information!

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Lessons Learned
    1) its an easy job with just a few cheap tools needed

2) estimated savings $250 per axle (quoted $350 ea) - ~$100 cost includes parts
    , tools and outside labor to install bands

3) find local axle shop to install bands using proper tools(I tried the suggested "wire nippers" and just didnt make tight enough boot was slipping off (local charge $40 plus they assembled axle together)

4) when assembling install the bolts and washer in the cv's before placing into engine compartment, then push bolts through the hole while hand tighting nut

5) if you order new bolts ask about thread pitch as the Ferrari thread is finer pitch and Porsche bolts (930T 10 x 60) are coarser and do not install into Ferrari nut so make sure u order nut to go with new bolt

again thanks f-chat for all the previous advice