Is this a coolant pipe? | FerrariChat

Is this a coolant pipe?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Antwan, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    #1 Antwan, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Horrible split pipe found whilst checking my valve clearances. I have followed it and the pipe goes towards the left side of the car before heading towards the front.

Is it coolant, if so its drain time! Boo!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think that is the breather pipe on your clutch.. Does it go into the bell house? if so then it is the breather pipe. (part 115366)

3. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Hi MTV. I think I have found the pipe you mention but it is the other pipe in this area. If you look directly down, to the front side of the rear bank distributor cap, it is just there. Looks like it is coming out of the block next to cyl 4 inlet

4. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Sorry autocorrect has renamed you mtv!

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    haha ;) I do like music!

Then it must be the hose to the electrical pump of your heating system. That would indeed be coolant.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    welcome to the most difficult coolant hose to change in the entire history of car making. That needs to get changed too because it looks like it is going to blow up tomorrow.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You can also make a more temporary repair by just replacing a short section of the hose by using a splicing connector. The very end of that hose connected to the "hot" cyl. head fitting suffers the most (as that area is at a higher temperature than the rest of the hose) -- but it's a sign that replacement of the rest is coming due.

8. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Yup it looks awful to replace. It has a lot of furring too, I actually thought the internal bore was stepped until I poked finger in!

I have gone for a temp repair by simply cutting back where the hose clip had thinned the wall. The hose was long enough. She was ready to blow alright! That would have been a miserable 2 hrs at the roadside even if I didn't cook the engine.

This is all making me more convinced that an engine out late summer is the answer, that and all your pictures of insanely clean engine bays.

Rgds all,
    Ant

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    yep thats one of the pipes you see in my sill restoration thread that goes to the front..