Ignition timing question | FerrariChat

Ignition timing question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ozmondy, Apr 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have googled and searched the forum for a resource to illustrate how the ignition timing is done....lots of valve timing but no ignition timing
    I believe there are two settings as both distributors have variables.
    I have pinging and want to check timing
    Can anyone point me in the right question please

Regs
    Peter

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't say that I follow your post 100%, but, if you mean for a 1984 Mondial QV, you would still just use a timing light on the #1 and #5 spark plug wires and view the flywheel markings for each of those cylinders at idle and other RPMs. There's no adjustment (nor mechanical advance mechanisms inside the distributors) -- the electrical triggering items are metal pins mounted in the flywheel going past the flywheel TDC sensors, and the advance vs RPM for each bank is controlled by its corresponding the DigiPlex ECU (but there are different DigiPlex ECUs, with different advance vs RPM characteristics for each version -- what version do you have and/or please state year/model if not a 1984 Mondial QV).

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Steve, that applies to any Mondial really. If he has real distributors I think he is posting in the wrong place.

4. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I thought that the triggers were 1 and 5 but are the timing marks on the flywheel thru an inspection port or harmonic and what should we set at.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    On the V8s (from the era of this forum) the timing marks are on the edge of the flywheel next to the teeth on the ring gear and are observed (along with the pointer) thru the clutch inspection port on top of the engine below the oil filter.

WHAT YEAR/MODEL/VERSION! There is no "set" for the injected cars and after...

6. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It is an 84QV
    So when you say no set....??
    I have put 98 RON it to see if it eliminates the "ping" and if that doesn't work are you saying I cannot retard the timing slightly to eliminate the condition.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    There is no stock provision for changing the ignition timing on your model (and I'll assume that it is a euro version since you express the fuel octane rating in RON units) -- but something can go wrong inside the DigiPlex ECU(s) themselves which could cause the ignition advance to be wrong. Using a timing light, you should be able to check the timing at 1000 RPM idle and 5000 RPM for each bank (as the flywheel has markings for those two RPMs for each bank). See page D6 of the Mondial8/QV WSM ("AF" is the idle mark; "A5" is the 5000 RPM mark) -- you can download from www.ferraridatabase.com

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Isn't there a vaccuum line to the digi? If that was cracked might the ignition not advance causing pinging? I don't know, just comes to mind.

9. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Not sure about that vacuum line but I def thought vacuum advance on normal distributor winds in on upper revs whereas my ping seems to be in lower rpm