3.2 Engine Running Rough After Hitting Pothole | FerrariChat

3.2 Engine Running Rough After Hitting Pothole

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 328tobe, Apr 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328tobe

328tobe Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Luuda
    I have an 1986 3.2 US Spec Mondial. I was able to change the accelerator cable this past Sunday and car was just running great. Drove around for hours just enjoying the car and how smooth and easy the gas pedal was. About 2 traffic light from home, I hit a pothole and right after, the car would not idle. Next day, I started the car and it would idle roughly. Pressing the gas pedal does not do anything but cause the car to stall. Same if I rev the engine at the throttle body. I checked all the vacuum hoses that I removed to get to the accelerator cable and they are all in. Is there anything else I need to check? Thanks everyone!

2. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    And here I thought Michigan was the only place with pot holes. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. It shook loose the ignition control unit that's in the trunk, passenger side I think. I took it in, and after I described what happened, that's the first thing they checked. Had it diagnosed and fixed in an afternoon. I couldn't tell you how to fix/adjust it. I think they just bolted it down better. I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Brian

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    First check for your symptom (and chain of events) on your model (K-Jet with Lambda) is to confirm/deny if the frequency valve is "buzzing", or not, when the engine is running (it should always buzz whenever the engine is running, cold or warm).

Alternatively, you can unplug the safety switch, and just turn "on" the key (engine not running) -- the fuel pump should run and the frequency valve should buzz.

4. 328tobe

328tobe Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Luuda
    I needed a place to start looking... i hate just not knowing where to begin the troubleshooting. With Brian's advice, i was able to look at the trunk on the passenger side under the antennae. There was a control unit that was not tighten down and when i lifted that up, I saw that one of the relay was knocked off. Also, one of the wire was fraying as well so i just redid the wiring and the car started like it did before. And I did notice the buzzing as well Steve. Thanks a lot guys for the advice!!!

Luu

5. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Interesting - thanks - where/what is the "frequency valve" and where does one unplug the safety switch? Thanks,

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Click Search - Advanced Search - enter "frequency valve" for the keywords and my user name in the user name box - read those ~100 threads...

Repeat using "safety switch"...

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. 328tobe

328tobe Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Luuda
    Thanks Mike. It was so frustrating not knowing where to start and this forum definitely helped!

Luu

9. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I almost mentioned that the person to ask would be Mike Sou. Good to hear from you Mike. I hope all is well.

Regards,
    Brian

10. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Just a thought: If the air flow sensing plate (or any related lever) had touched/moved/bent out of normal position during the pot hole vertical high-g event, it could cause all sorts of weird behaviour, couldn't it? Easy enough to check.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Crazy busy these days Brian! Until we meet again... Hope to stop by CnC this Sunday, its going to hit 80 and SUNNY !!!
    CHEERS,

Mike

12. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks Steve!