87 3.2 Cab Loss of Power woes etc | FerrariChat

87 3.2 Cab Loss of Power woes etc

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Faber, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    #1 Faber, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi - m87 3.2 Cab has been running rough, loss of acceleration, just quitting after an hour of driving hard in the 80s yesterday but was running very poorly during the drive - cools down and drives for a bit - next day starts fine albeit still rough - towed yesterday by a pretty & patient "Towess" for no charge - been reading all the threads pertaining - today I started her up and checked Metering valve - no buzzing/vibration - looked into rear fuse well and saw relay in pics free in the wheel well - might be last pm's towing - will emplace relay and start in an hour or so - hoping idle etc returns to normal - still want to know if this will "fix" hot quits - And what is the purpose of the plug that's unplugged in the pics? Thanks for any insights - Wiring in the pics looks pretty rube goldberg imo - but I'm a 2-wire electrician.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #2 jgoodman, Apr 13, 2014
    Here's what mine looks like. I thought that my frequency valve relay went bad, and ordered a spare. But that was not the problem. Actually I had a short in the two wires which goes to the frequency valve itself. Hopefully your problem is the same. A two wire fix job.

3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #3 jgoodman, Apr 13, 2014
    Here's another pic. You can faintly see the black wires that go to the frequency valve to the left of the fuel distributor. That was where my problem was hiding. Good luck!

4. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Clean engine bay - Thanks!

5. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Other items to check is the big white connector thats located drivers side rear fenderwall behind the coils. clean it out good using contact cleaner and gently tighten the receptacle contacts together for a tighter fit

In addition maybe check your extenders for signs of breakdown (black marks)

I had these two items checked after having rough idle and loss of power a few days after major

it really ended up being a brand new extender was defective...there was a distinguishable "ticking" sound also due to the sparking

hope this helps

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I agree the extenders are always an easy fix even though a bad extender can be nothing more than a dot the size of a pencil tip. But he did comment that the frequency valve was not buzzing, which leads you down a different path.

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    protection relay, extenders, and ignition coil modules are what I would check first!
    All symtoms of what you are describing about the car. Hope its something simple.

good luck,

Mike

8. Mattsctr

Mattsctr Karting

Dec 2, 2012
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Matt Jones
    I had a similar problem, I pulled the plugs and it was obvious they needed changing as they were pretty black on one bank. Car was fine for a bit but started to run rough and down on power again so I put fuel injector cleaner through a tank of fuel and it worked a treat.

Just to add, I'm a mechanical numpty but it seemed a cheap and easy place to start.

9. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks all - replaced ignition coil modules and new plugs w/in last month - I reconnected the white plug (disconnected in pics) and reconnected Protection relay (ordered a new one meanwhile) - freq valve now functioning and car idles & accelerates beautifully, but I haven't tested it "running hard over 60min" when things heat up and engine quits, but I bet that issue is still there. Prot. Relay was hot after 20 min other night but that's to be expected I hear. I'll look for strange extenders & check the "big white connector" per dfranzen. Q for jgoodman: How did you discover the short near the freq valve? Visually? Thanks,

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    As a long shot add 8 oz of two cycle oil to gas. This lubes the mechanical and seal rings. Probably won't work, but will not hurt anything either.

11. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks all - disconnected safety switch & Metering Valve & fuel pumps definitely buzzing/functioning - on to white plug behind coils..

12. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #12 jgoodman, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    I didn't. Algar was able to track it down. But I had already replaced the fuse and then the frequency valve relay itself and that still didn't do the trick. It did make sense to me, however, as they had taken the Jetronic unit out of its spot in the trunk to take pics for the Classiche process and the had moved the fuel distributor system onto the top of the engine when they did my major. So I wasn't surprised that a broken wire was the issue at the end of the day. But I looked and I didn't "see" it and I'd like to think I'm fairly observant. But if your back on power, which means that the frequency valve is clearly buzzing, then you should be good for a while.

13. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks jgoodman! Per my earlier ECU thread I'm gonna try her out today -