Belt Tensioner and Bearing Service Video | FerrariChat

Belt Tensioner and Bearing Service Video

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Bell Bloke, Apr 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Here is a video of how to service your belt tensioner and pully bearings, for those of you who do very low milages between your 3-5 year belt replacements.
    Obviously pulley bearings are critical but they never see out even half of their lifes wear on our cars. There's no need to change them evertime you do your belts if you are only covering low miles, but fresh grease is an easy job to do whilst you service your tensioners.
    Anyway here is a video on how to do it, allthe best Bell.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hW7fI9wPfg]Ferrari Cam Belt Bearing and Tensioner Service - YouTube[/ame]

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Bell

That is once again some serious magic you're doing! Nice job!

For the bearings: I think most of us use the Hill Bearings. Normally seen, Ferrari dictates (like most manufacturers) to change bearings & belts together. With those uprated bearings and the fact most Mondis in our hands don't cover maximum beltmileage between changes. What is your opinion on those bearings?

In my opinion: I would check each belt change for play on the bearings. If they are good, leave them. In fact I would like to know what grease Hill is using + their recommendation on lifespan of the grease in normal use.

I checked the bearings that came of my Mondi and they were good, the Dayco belts were dated 2004 and also in pretty good nick (visual that is - they could be stretched or internal weakened) The old bearings will bept in stock.

happy wrenching!

Bart

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #3 Bell Bloke, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Hey cheers Bart ;-)

To be honest I understand why people just change these out without question, it's because they are not a high price item and it helps them sleep at night.
    The observation I wanted to make was that bearings with only 5,000 miles on are in no way shot or even starting to wear yet. Therefore you can quite happily renew the grease in them and keep on trucking. These bearings on my Lotus have done 60,000 miles and still been fine. The bearings life would only be seriously shortened if they got seriously wet and were corroded somehow.
    I've not seen the Hill bearings but I know they are not cheap.
    The other thing is that brand new bearings can be faulty it's not unheard of.
    So you might change out a perfectly good bearing that's been running nicely on your car for 5,000 miles and still has another 20,000miles left in it for a bad new one that blows your engine up.
    What I'm trying to say is that Ferrari, and dealers etc try and breed a kind of paranoid thought process in owners where they buy uprated bearings that get thrown away every cam belt change just the same as the standard bearings. So why buy the uprated ones then?
    Then you throw away a perfectly good water pump everytimeyou change the belts too, and so it goes on and the costs spiral up....

Anyway here is a neat alloy welding product that could be useful to you Guys one day ;-)
    All the best, Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-rB2IgjgI&feature=youtu.be

4. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    You are so right.

Although I used the Hill bearings last time and they are very good I have no plans to change them for many belt changes.
    As I recall, the Lotus recommendation for the same bearing is to check it every time the belt is replaced and then replace as a matter of course at 90,000 miles. Some Lotus owners (being basically cheapskates :)) will change the tensioner bearing when it starts to make a noise, although this is probably taking it a bit far :). This is despite the fact that the cost of rebuilding a Lotus engine is arguably more than a Ferrari. Lotus parts are very expensive because the factory guards heavily against third-party suppliers undercutting them.

5. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    So how do they come apart without damage to the grease seal?

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    THe reason we change bearings more often than on a Toyota is because it is right there on the Toyota and it can be done in hours. On a Ferrari, it takes a week, so we might was well do it when we have it out.

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Guys sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    Andy I'm glad you backed me up here, I could feel the heads shaking when I suggestd not to change out the tensioner bearing every time you do a low mileage belt change, ha ha. Johnny, yes they come appart really easily. When you look through the centre hole you will see that there are 2 races, all you do is just press with your finger or a little punch, the inner race out through the front and the seal comes out with it completely intact with all the balls etc.
    All the best, Bell

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #8 Rapalyea, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Kudus to you BB! I especially like your observation on the possibility of a bad new bearing. This is a perpetual quandary in life. Failure rates on many products are higher when new then later. For instance, every Ferrari belt failure I have heard of in these threads has been a recent installation.

I would like to see a thread on failures of various sorts. For instance, how many of us know of a case where old cam belts failed? Do any of us know of anyone who burned a valve because the valves had not been properly adjusted? I would include water pumps and alternators.

In my own case I took possession of the car a year ago at 44,000 miles. The clutch hydraulics were weak and went bad in the next 4,000 miles, and I scattered the clutch friction plate another 500 miles later through extreme use. And I replaced the recalcitrant starter as well.

Today the car runs perfect. However, the heater fan and heater temperature device have gone defective in the last year. I simply shut down the hot water flow by squeezing the hose with needle nose vice grips. I still would like to get the fan back on line. But it is not critical, though is nice to have in hot weather.

PS - Squeezing close the hot water hose to the heater; I considered simply cutting the hose and installing a valve, but did not want to even slightly disrupt my coolant system since the car runs cool. With 60/40 glycol it never boils coolant even at idle in 90F weather at 2000 ft elevation and zero water pressure. THAT is just to good to be true. And too good to mess with.

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Rapalyea, yes I agree it would be good to find out the most common failures on these cars and guard against them. The only people who know these common faults would be a Ferrari garage but getting them to 'talk' honestly could be difficult. ;-)

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet again :)

I love the neat alloy welding product. Now I can make my own drain without bringing it to a professional welder :D
    Sorry I can't keep up with you on the video build channel. Still have have my regular offie job in between to earn some pocket money and preparing for Italy is a bit time consuming as well. Sorry we are not passing Rome. Not sure if you still are going. You guys still planning a trip to Amsterdam?

11. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT no worries on the video front. Emily is doing her X19 so I thought it a good time to do lots to Kato whilst keeping her company, so that's why I'm churning out videos at the moment. We are going to take the Fiat to Turin and the car factory where it was made in 1976, it's now a hotel ha ha. It's the place in the Italian Job where they drive the cars on the roof, we are going to see if we can get up there too.
    Also we definately want to go to Amsterdam for the weekend to look around and say hi to you, see your dads car etc if that's ok. Timings are all still up in the air at the moment though.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #12 MvT, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    That roof has a bloody good curve ;) mind the speed ramps though! I think it is open for driving for a few euros.

More then welcome here perhaps my old man does not even mind to go for a drive. One thing.. It has not seatbelts!

PM me the dates you guys plan to visit. There are some nice bed and breakfasts as well where I live only 17km away downtown Amsterdam. (Week 20 we will be in Italy)

I was thinking if people here are interested in a drive through Norway for a few days with some Mondies. It has an awesome landscape to drive. Not sure about the weather though..

13. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    No searbelts....posh in that case we'd definitely like a ride in it!! :)
    We'll let you know dates, but we are still flat out on the Fiat, or rather Emily is.
    All the best, Bell.

14. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Hi Bell,
    If you want to take the X1/9 on the roof: book dinner in the top restaurant and ask for parking space for the OLD FIAT on the circuit. If you book for 7pm (the earliest possible I think), you still can make pics in the daylight. (I had the company Renault with me, so no hurry there for making pics on the roof, but we did a tour of circuit by asking in the restaurant) Do take some time to wander through the shopping mall below + I think there's a Fiat exhibition also in the Mirafiori.

Turin is an absolute under estimated city, it's a wonderful place to stay.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Excellent info Chaps!! Thankyou so much for that. Yes Turin...it's a city so close to Monaco that I'm surprised I've not been there before, Emily can't wait to go there cos little Otto was actually made in that factory...