Brake delay valve | FerrariChat

Brake delay valve

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by B11ocx, Apr 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. B11ocx

B11ocx Karting

Jan 30, 2014
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    HOW MUCH !!!!!

Noticed some weeping from the brake delay valve/pressure regulator (these two are together I believe so not sure which is the culprit yet) Had a quick look at the delay valve is £400 and the regulator £100. Same parts are used on Mondial 3.2/T/348/355

I am really hoping it is just an O ring, but I assume it will cost me one billion dollars to fix.

Jon

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi

First, are you losing brake action? How about brake fluid? A weep is not a castastrophic failure. Might just benefit from pushing the hell out of the brake pedal repeatedly. HARD. I have often had good success with various hydraulic stop leak [power steering seal conditioner] concoctions but it would be a pain in the butt to do it.

First you would need to add the conditioner to the fluid container. Then bleed a brake to bring the concoction it to the offending part. Then exercise the brakes vigorously to see if it made any difference. Lots of HARD pumping. Then Flush the entire stuff out and replace with normal brake fluid.

I do not recommend this. But I have had success with this method in the past. And I do not believe it will in anyway damage the clutch hydraulics which operate off the same reservoir. That is because they are not subject to high temps as are the brake calipers.

On the other hand, a simple weep is hardly a catastrophic failure. Just add fluid if it gets low. If you are intent on replacing the parts anyway, I would repeatedly pump the hell out of the brakes to see if THAT will seat the parts.

I am superstitious in matters of this kind. I believe mechanical parts are often not adequately exercised, and thus fail from lack of use. My brakes are old and well exercised and are perfect. And by this I means I began hard stops at 50mph. I mean HARD stops, right up to lock-up. Working on up, in my case, to 120 mph. [do NOT do that at home]. If you do not smell the pads you are not working the pads.

My brakes are now much improved. But thats just me.

3. B11ocx

B11ocx Karting

Jan 30, 2014
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The weeping was actually noticed due to inspecting for an ABS issue (ABS goes off at low speed and low brake application in traffic) No warning lights and the system works other than the annoyance of low speed activation. Research leads me to believe it will be dirty sensors or tone wheels and they are going to be cleaned up.

While we were at it we felt that the front brakes needed new disks/pads so those are on order. One side was grabbing slightly and therefore could also be the source of an ABS "confusion"

If the weep is no worse (and the aforementioned fixes cure the ABS issue) then I can live with it, but my concern is if the ABS issue still occurs. I understand the reason for the activation is an imbalance between readings for front and rear at those lower speeds. Could this be caused by the delay valve/pressure regulator. ?

Having done a little more research since, the parts are NLA anyway.... so hope they are not the cause of the problem !