1985 Mondial sunroof | FerrariChat

1985 Mondial sunroof

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by zombiesdad, May 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zombiesdad

zombiesdad Rookie

Apr 8, 2014
    Warrnambool
    Full Name:
    Bill Owens
    My sunroof will not close that last little bit, any suggestions on how to solve this?

2. Euba

Euba Rookie

Sep 15, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Rafa Euba
    Hello,

I just bought a 1985 Mondial QV. The sunroof rubber lining was missing ans water entered the cabin, so a Ferrari dealer here in London fashioned one, which seemed to be OK, but now when I close it it goes a little too high at the front (by a few mm) and is also uneven. Shall I just get rid of the new rubber lining?

Thanks.

Rafa.

3. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Sunroof notoriously difficult to fix. Impossible to diagnose remotely. Parts impossible to find.

4. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    The motor and cable are the same components in a Porsche 924/944.

The plastic guides/feet/other pieces - not so easy. I haven't found a source yet.

Sid

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is it getting to the end of its travel but failing to lift up the last piece to sit on the seals ?

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If it is not leaking water, then leave well alone. They are dreadfull things to get involved with.

7. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I found that cleaning the sunroof guides, ensuring they stayed clean and lightly oiling the guides and rubber surrounds helped. Also I found that the metal leaf springs that control the wind deflector can be rather stiff for the motor to easily overcome. Try removing these leaf springs to see if it makes a difference. If it does you can slightly bend the leaf springs to reduce the pressure required to close the roof completely. I have found that by doing these things the roof now opens and closes completely at reasonable speed without a problem.

Charlemagne likes this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the motor is struggling so much you have to alter the deflector spring wires, remember that the motor has an adjustable clutch, so u can alter the closing pressure

Charlemagne likes this.
  9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    My mechanic asked me if my sunroof worked, to which I replied "Yes".

He said "Great, now don't ever touch it again..." :)

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A wise man- how i hate mondial sunroofs

11. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    and they are good for nothing....they look better closed

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They would look better with a bit of metal , painted over so u dont know its was there.

13. Euba

Euba Rookie

Sep 15, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Rafa Euba
    Thank you all for your comments. Your descriptions of the sunroof match mine, but the guy I bought the car from says it was a period aftermarket addition. I find that difficult to believe, it's so complex. I agree it's probably better to leave it alone, except that it isn't totally watertight...

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Any water leaking in should be dropping into the under tray if i remember correctly and then draining away-as far as i remember there is a drain pipe that goes to the floor of the car. The operating cable comes up the centre of the passenger side rear strut. Ie the rear window pillar with the black rubber cover
    Have a look in the boot to see what is coming down these pillars- u should see a copper tube going to the sunroof motor and gearbox. Look for a 2nd pipe and this might be the drain pipe, if so is it connected to the under tray- you can remove the panals at the rear window to see these connections if i remember
    The drain may come down the other pillar

15. caterus

caterus Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #15 caterus, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mike32 is quite right that the sunroof motor has an adjustable clutch to alter the closing pressure (see Photo 1). However, in my case I found I was unable to tighten the clutch sufficiently to close the roof completely. I eventually identified that the drive shaft's thread was partially stripped preventing the nut from tightening (see photo 2). The way the assembly comes together is illustrated by Photo 3.
    The answer was to make up a replacement drive shaft which wasn't easy because of its fine thread (M10x0.75) but a colleague was eventually able to do this. Once everything was assembled the sunroof has worked well.
    Was it worth the effort? Well, on a sunny day, it is a real pleasure to have the sunroof open and I can drive up to about 70 mph without excess wind noise.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk

I had to make 1 for mine but i used a coarser thread to give it better strength. Bloody horrible contraption.

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, smart mechanic! ;)

18. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I've heard this advice more than once. Love the Mondial Coupe. If you want the open sky, buy the cabriolet.

IMHO

19. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I had a look at the link and it brings back my sunroof nightmares- i am going to ring the doctor in the white coat who cured me off this phobia last time. It took weeks to stop the nightime screaming about mondial sunroofs.

21. Euba

Euba Rookie

Sep 15, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Rafa Euba
    Thank you all again, very helpful. If I manage to get it closed and watertight, I think I'll leave it well alone from then on...
    Rafa.

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    There are 4 drains, one in each corner of the inner tray, evacuating leaked water via the pillars to the front and rear wheel wells.

23. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Do you mean you have a larger gap at the front than on the sides?
    So the back of the roof isn't coming up?