Gear box oil level sensor? | FerrariChat

Gear box oil level sensor?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Sweet928, May 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Someone mentioned Mondial's have an oil level sensor in both the block AND the gear box. I checked my manual and don't see any indication of gear box oil level indicated. Hi only see the oil level indicator is located on the oil pressure gauge. MY is an 85. Can anyone elaborate please?
    Thanks,

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Anyone?

3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #3 afterburner, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    ... that would be the minimum oil pressure warning light, a description of which you will certainly find in the owners manual...

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Some models. Does your car have a check control monitor in the centre console? That is where the warning lights would be located, clearly labeled.
    If you car is the later generation without the check control system, you won't have those sensors and indicators. Does your engine oil dipstick have a plug and 2 wires attached to the top?

5. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I have the list of warning lights I the center console next to the gear selector. I also have the wires on the end of the dip stick. My understanding is the red light on the oil pressure gauge is for engine oil level NOT gear box level.

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #6 afterburner, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You don't have the owner's manual, right? Why don't you download for free on the ferraridatabase? Here the screenshots re the check control display. "Transmission oil" and "engine oil" are the LEVEL warning lights for the respective oils. They should never be "on".

Of course the red light on the ENGINE oil pressure gauge has nothing to with the GEARBOX oil LEVEL:

It is not a LEVEL that is indicated anyway, as mentioned earlier, on a PRESSURE gauge, but the MINIMUM PRESSURE warning. That is why it is on when the engine is off (no oil pressure) and goes off as soon as the pressure builds up when the engine is running... So, if that warning light ever comes on with the engine running, shut it down fast.
    Does that light come on when the ignition is on but the engine not running? If not, it is broken and you better fix it.

By the way, why would that warning light be on with ignition on but off when the engine is running - if it was a LEVEL? Why would it have more oil in the pan when running?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I do have the owners manual. For some reason it didn't occur to me that the transmission level was indicated there on the center console... I was looking up the info for the gauges on the cluster...obviously I misled myself...I'm clear now. Thanks for your help.

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Most welcome. It would be a good idea to test the sensors though. If you pull the dip stick, the engine oil level must come on. Likewise, if you unplug the gearbox oil level switch, the light must come on. With it, the red master caution light on the check control display. Good luck!

9. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Yes, that's what I'd like to verify for piece of mind. I'll do that on the oil dipstick. Where is the sensor line one the trans? Under the car?

10. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Do I disconnect the oil dipstick sensor and then remove the oil dipstick or pull it out as far as possible with the sensor still connected?

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #11 afterburner, May 25, 2014
  12. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Just disconnected the dip stick sensor and completely removed the dip stick. Switched the ignition to on and no indication. Checked the bonnett sensor which worked. Does the engine need to be running to activate the oil level sensor?

13. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Thanks, can you disconnect it from above? Or do I need to get under the car?

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    It only works with ignition on, and independently of the engine running or not.
    You can jump the disconnected plug with a wire. If I remember correctly, if the wires are disconnected the light is on, connected = out. Usually, if your oil level is OK the light is off.
    If you disconnect the plug on the sensor (stick or gearbox), the light comes on.

15. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Yes, it can be disconnected from above on EU coupés. Not sure about the different water tank and all the clean air stiff on the US cars. Else, you can to it via the left rear wheel arch...

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Yes, it can be disconnected from above on EU coupés. Not sure about the different water tank and all the clean air stiff on the US cabs. Else, you can get to it via the left rear wheel arch...

17. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    Seems my oil level sensor is not functioning. Disconnected and no warning light. On position AND engine running. Is this a sensor I can replace easily? Where is the actual sensor?

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The engine oil level sensor is at the end of the dip stick. The gearbox' is the one on the drawing posted.

19. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I know, I'm just reporting that the oil level sensor on the dip stick appears inop as I didn't get a red light on the center console. I haven't addressed the gear box sensor yet.

20. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Does gearbox sensor unbolt? I notice 2 bolts top and bottom or does the plastic just unplug?

21. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #21 afterburner, Jan 31, 2016
  22. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Do you have. Pic of it in the car I'm trying to look for it, I just want to test warning lights.
    Thanks

23. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #23 afterburner, Jan 31, 2016
    ellum likes this.
  24. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006