Mondial T on the cover of Hemmings | FerrariChat

Mondial T on the cover of Hemmings

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by trumpet77, Jun 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    August issue of Sports and Exotic car "surprisingly easy to own, family-friendly exotic", came in the mail today

2. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Read the article.....always nice to see Mondials get positive press!

3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I already know how wonderful the Mondial is.
    Great article.

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Hemmings has been kind to the Mondial. Their editor is a fan of the Mondial, but you'll probably know he is a fan of nearly all cars. He an I conversed a bit on email when I submitted my story and I seem to recall him saying something along the lines of hoping these cars became more popular, or that they deserved to be more popular.

A few years back they did an article that was something along the lines of must own convertibles and the Mondial was in there as well.

5. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    See the paintwork on the mirrors, valance and side sills of the "cover car" ?? That's exactly what I'm doing to Rachel.

BTW, trumpet77 ........ I don't have the issue yet. Can you post up a photo of the cover?

Cheers, Hank

6. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    #6 Dizengoff, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    The photo caption on p21 says "...glovebox "door" is just a mirage--Mondials never had them."

This was a surprise to me, as my car has a glovebox.

7. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    They got that wrong, for sure

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    If Rachel has a glove box, she hasn't shown it to me, not even once, in all the ten years of our relationship !!! :):)

Cheers, Hank

9. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #9 Scaledetails, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like I have to stop by the local book pub to pickup my copy although this article hilights the 89 T model and I have an 88 3.2. Thanks for sharing !

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Barnes & Noble did not have the August issue, only June so looks like I'll have to wait.
    BTW, who is the owner of that T and is he an FChat member?

12. Nate2046

Nate2046 Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
    Good article. Its making me rethink my pursuit of a GT4 and maybe consider a Mondial, especially the '89 and later models. I always thought the Mondials got a bad rap and have aged really well. Of course, I love the 400's as well so maybe I just have questionable taste?

13. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    When I started looking, I looked specifically at the three cars you mentioned--Mondial coupe, 400i, and 308GT4. I eventually decided on mid-engine for the handling and balance. I looked for quite awhile at several 308GT4's, but once I saw my 3.2 for sale I knew it was the right choice-a carbed hot rod with hot cams and custom exhaust--the perfect nod to late-60's/early 70's Ferrari's but with four seats and without the six-figure entry price.

Now if I can just find the time to finish my Michellotto-inspired rear-view mirror project...

Listen-lots of Ferrari's models have detractors. Criticism of the Mondial used to bother me, then I started reading the criticisms of other Ferrari's. Look at what people say about the 348--sheesh! Or the FF, or the California. Or the Dino 246, people hated that car with a passion. I've noticed that many people who gripe about the Mondial have never driven one, and many of the criticisms I've seen online aren't even true.

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    GT4, Mondial, 400. Of course you have questionable taste! But we love you :D

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    And now that I've seen the cover I'll reiterate with less reservation, Hemmings loves the Mondial. Common guys, write up great stories. If anyone has owned one forever, write something up and submit it. They printed my two page story :)

They really are great in that they look at cars for what they are and what they provide. They aren't even owners and they are screaming it's virtues.

I used to pick up random magazines in the airport and Hemmings Sports and Exotic was one of them. Then I started looking for it specifically and was distraut when I couldn't get one. Then I woke up and subscribed. I can't imagine any car guy on this forum not getting this magazine. It is the best car mag I've ever gotten. They always have a few Ferraris listed in their last pages that show auction results. Love all the other car stories too. I love all cars.

16. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Maybe I need to polish the tip of my old Esterbrook Fountain Pen, and tell them about Rachel. :):) And yes, it is truly a wonderful mag!!

Cheers, Hank

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #17 soucorp, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can't believe Hemmings did not show up at MondiPalooza in Hershey, I thought a writer said he was going to show up. A missed opportunity for sure!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I need to find a copy of this issue. Yes we own a Mondial that looks exactly like the one on the cover but the car in the lower left corner looks exactly like my first car, a blue-grey Morris Minor.

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I believe Euro models had the glove box, not NA types.

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Euros IIRC had a glove box, just not the NA ones.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Mondial t never had them... is what they should have said. No mention of one in the Owner's and maintenance manuals anyway. However, some have a "dummy door" and others not.

Ferrari Mondial t Parts : Table 143 - DASHBOARD

22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  23. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    My 89 T coupe came with a switch panel that has a label for a glove box and a switch that does nothing. There is a cover on the dash that looks like it should be a glove box, but behind it there is nothing. Only Ferrari could sell a car for this price with this mistake. I assume that a glove box may have been an option. Does anyone know?

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #24 Wade, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  25. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    The article gives the owners name, he lives in upstate SC.

Along with the cover story of Eurotrash's Dino not long ago, I think the Hemmings guys must have started enjoying the annual Euro Auto Show held at the BMW factory near Greenville SC and met some other car owners in the area.