Buying advise mondial help! | FerrariChat

Buying advise mondial help!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Black/black612, Jul 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Black/black612

Black/black612 Karting

Apr 9, 2014
    London
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    I'm after advise as I can not see clear right now.
    I searched for years a Mondial T cab ideally triple black but I just found a dark grey with red interior (which is far from my initial aspiration!) but the idea is growing on me.
    The car is apparently in lovely condition has 21,000 miles, 4 owners. I haven't seen physically because it is located in a middle of Europ and I live in the UK
    Last owner owned the car for 11 years. The last major (belts) serviced was done in 2010.

I asked the owner to serviced the car he wants to sell it as is, so I'm little nervous to face a bad surprise once I bring it to the garage.
    The price is 34K euros
    Is it something I'm missing? Or is it OK?
    Tks
    Seb

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If everything else on the car checks out (and lovingly maintained) I'd buy with it needing the service. That way you set the baseline with your tech. However, I'd would seriously consider having a look, in person. You'll love that classic color combo, plus you get to verify its condition.

Also, I'd have a compression/leakdown test done as a minimum for a PPI. Well, and identify what works and what doesn't.

Price seems high considering that it needs service. For the U.S. anyway.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you want a triple black T cab, you should hold out and get one. I've seen a few popping up in America for sale. As far as paying $34k euros = $46k dollars, I think its at the highend especially if it needs maintenance. Both colors are cool in my book, but I lean more towards the grigio. Here's both colors for comparison, I hope you get one that you love !

edited: btw, online auction has a lovely 88 3.2 triple for $24k
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Mondial-Mondial-Ferrari-Mondial-Daytona-Interior-Flares-and-Chairs-TONS-OF-EXTRAS-/331236653695?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4d1f3e3a7f&item=331236653695&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #4 MvT, Jul 2, 2014
    +1 on a compression/leakdown test (did that too myself) and always have a look..

Triple black for sale with some work though.. 21K euro is fair I think on this one. You are looking at 5k on repairs here if it were in NL.

200km from Amsterdam..
    Ferrari Mondial t 3.4 V8 Cabrio 44.500 km als Cabrio/Roadster in Bad Bentheim

34K is at least 4K to much for a convertible without a major service. Keep in mind that Europe is a coupe continent if you ever were to sell.

Where is middle of Europe? :) I have a Grigio Met with Red Interior (from Germany). Be warned though..! Once you look she will put a magic spell on you to want her. However, I like your first want too! Ps. I never wanted a grey one and no way on this planet a red interior. Now look what I've got :eek::)

Cheers,
    Tijn

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    And the Dutch always think they are the middle of Europe :) haha

7. Black/black612

Black/black612 Karting

Apr 9, 2014
    London
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    Thank Tijn,
    I love the triple black in Netherlands. I will call tomorrow and let you know.
    Seb

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #8 MvT, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    It's actually located in Germany. We may think we are the center of Europe, but take 2 steps and you're out of the country :)

I read that there are only 2 sold in this combination in Europe. Be aware that in Germany they are not very keen in haggling on the price and I guess for this one it is just how much you want it, think I would try it anyway and you have a good currency rate against the Euro currency!

Letzte inspektion bei 42.530 km ( Zahnriem erneuert )
    Last inspection at 42,530 km (Belts changed)

Now that really depends how long ago this is.. Last year then ok, More then 3 years -> change it. I would change it anyway.

Hope it is something for you!

9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Love the Grigio and Red combo!

I looked at the Black Black combo on eBay but my thought was it was a little rough-and it was not a T.

I looked and looked- it seems there are less and less and the black interiors on the cabriolet seem to wear more quickly?

I personally never wanted Bianco but it was also looking more and more attractive in person. I recently purchase red/cuoio as I was tired of waiting........ Does not match all the other Black Italian cars in my garage but if one goes off the reservation- this is the car to do it.

It really looks good in Grigio. I am jealous.

Good Luck.

ScottS

10. Black/black612

Black/black612 Karting

Apr 9, 2014
    London
    Full Name:
    Sebastian
    I'm actually going to see the triple black German car next Saturday.
    The service was done last year so it should be ok but I will get it inspected. Same owner for the last 10 years. Just the cosmetic repair to focus on but I have to say that I'm very excited.

Thank you very much for all your advise and thank you to Tijn.
    I will let you know end of next week if I drove back home with the mondial!
    Seb

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    You're welcome Sebastian! hopefully we will see another member on this section soon! and do place some pictures.

The 3.4 pod (headlight) and the flashing/fog light unit might be a challenge to find. If it is only the flashing/fog unit's glass then I have replacements for you. Either UK for both or European lenses)

One tip if I may. Start already to look for parts if they are available and at what price. This way you have an indication.

Excellent used original Ferrari Mondial 3.2 T coupe cabriolet front grill OEM | eBay

Always call EuroSpares if they have it stock and then purchase it from their webshop. They might not have it while the Webshop says different.
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchResult_one.asp?S=62517010&TM=1&TMo=392&TA=2&TB=21165

There are 2 types of temp plates in Germany. A kurzzeitkennzeichen and an exportkennzeichen. You will be needing the exportkennzeichen when you want to drive it home (with an orange label) in Germany. Will be between 100 to 150 euro depending how long you want it to be valid. Some will say you can use the kurzzeitkennzeichen (yellow label) but you can't if you are not a German resident. You simply will not be insurred and if stopped by the police.. either British or German. I guess you have seen the programs on the UK tele driving without an insurrance :) Ask for help of the owner. He knows the drill. Not sure if the office is open on Saturday to get these plates.

Example of an exportkennzeichen (Export plate)
    Exportkennzeichenversicherung sofort Online kaufen

And if you pass Amsterdam or nearby let me know :)

All the best!
    Tijn

12. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Your car is beautiful Tijn I love the Grigio coupes!

13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I fell in love with a grigio 308GTB but unfortunately couldn't fit comfortably in it so I didn't purchase it, it really is a beautiful color.

14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Too tall? Or driving position? Some say one "would do anything for love." But you wont do that, huh?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOikQWAL8qc[/ame]

I didn't know that one was supposed to fit comfortably in an Italian car from the 80's.....
    Sorry couldn't resist the period pun.

15. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #15 enzo360, Jul 5, 2014
    I heard this from several owners. I'm not that tall, but have a friend who is about 1.90m and he fits well in his Mondial.
    Grigios fit the Mondial well. It's not as screamy as the reds or yellows, which IMO suits the 308s better. I had some period photographs and its remarkable how few reds were on the factory line in those days.
    Best
    Jurgen

16. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    hahaha, that line fits well with "it takes four without a problem, even for longer trips".
    Cheers
    Jurgen

17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Yes. Agreed. I was a teen in the back of my fathers qv coupe. Not fun for long.

Funny how we think Greys/ non reds are so 2010 not 1990.

Love yours Jurgen.
    All my fcars are black until my mondial t cab. Found a good one in red couldn't pass up.

Scotts

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #18 MvT, Jul 6, 2014
  19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Absolutely true, I'm 1m91cm and none of the 3x8 fit me, nor does the Testarossa. I have a Mondial which is perfect for me, 'lots' of room in there.

Even tried to fit in a 348 which is more recent, but same problem. Either you buy an old 4-seater, or a more recent 360. Only by the end of the 90's they realised at Ferrari that people can grow taller than 165cm ... LOL

20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I am 5'10" 215.I look like a beer keg on toothpicks.apparently Italians are 5'3" or less with size 8 shoes and no belly.Having said that, once I wiggle myself in I realise I am in a Ferrari all I can say is wow!!! I have been looking at 348 and 355 but I am torn between a car that looks a little cooler than what I have but I will be more limited on repairs.I have replaced both belts and tensioners and clutch on my Mondial with little skill and effort.348 and 355 require engine drop.What should I do??? I have the angel on one shoulder going "you can fix it,don't get rid of it" then the other shoulder has the devil going "screw it it's a Ferrari!!!" I wish I could have a stable but only one horse at my house.let me know what you think.thanks,fred

21. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Too tall I obviously don't have the same problem in a GTS unless the top is on. There are tricks such as moving the steering wheel or modifying the seats but the Mondial was a great fit for me. Strangely enough I never had a problem with the narrow footwells and I have size 13W feet! Even though I am part Italian I'm definitely not built like one.