Anyone had a fuel pump failure? | FerrariChat

Anyone had a fuel pump failure?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jul 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This Fall I intend to do some preventive maintenance and one thing would be to replace the fuel pump. But if they never go bad there is no need.

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I actually would revise the current one you have then. :)

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I will look for a USB port on the pump but am not optimistic. Even if it has one it is probably 2.0 and the gaming card most likely does not even have a single CUDA core.

4. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    These things are pretty much bullet proof. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Don't look for problems that don't exist ............. unless you're saying that there is a problem - tho, I didn't get that from your post.

Cheers, Hank

5. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The Mondial t pumps run forever. Only problem is they are submerged in fuel and the rubber housing deteriorates and contaminates the fuel at the bottom of the tank. Since I'm not in the mood to fixit, I never run the tank low. Don't know if the earlier Mondials have the same issue.

Dave

6. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    But I am conflicted in regards to my oil cooling fan. It is inoperative and after my local mechanic fixed the clutch he asked me a couple of questions. Although he never before had worked on a Ferrari he seems to have had a lot of fun fixing mine, though would not admit it. But when I picked the car up in January he had several things to say.

First, he asked me if I wanted my timing belts replaced [no] and suggested I purchase a new oil cooling fan sensor [perhaps]. He then almost bodily dragged me under the car lift and pointed out the single casting for both transmission and engine - I think that was what he pointed out. Then he said "These guys are geniuses!" and I just nodded dumbly.

This is what living in NASCAR country can inexplicably provide you on a silver platter in the rustic North Georgia Mountains. Anyway, I was out storming my deserted mountain roads today in 90F and low humidity [that means no armpit sweat and comfortable] and the oil temp was 230F so I backed off.

Synthetic oil is good to very much higher then that, but when it hits 230F its like a rev limiter. So I need to consider whether I should fix the cooler fan or not. My gut says not, but my pulse says yes.

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #7 Rapalyea, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    In tank fuel pump! Oh No! Reminds me of my old Z-28 HO Camaro 5 speed. I was running it at Summit Point on a Race Day and got fuel starvation in second gear at redline. I took it to Chevy and said I got fuel starvation at redline in second gear. The Chevy guy said the cars are not meant to be driven that way and sent me on my way.

Later they had a recall and installed an additional fuel pump to boost the pressure. By then I had solved the problem on my own. Chevy quadrajet carbs had a small fuel filter in the carb itself but due to roll-over regulations for fire safety they had been replaced with itty bitty paper filters with one way flapper valves. The flapper valve restricted the flow, I surmised.

So I punched it out with a number two pencil and was prepared to suffer the consequences.

PS: That was a 1984 Camaro and it had very good handling, unlike earlier models. We were not permitted to pass other cars on Race Day so I just followed the Porche 944s round and round and round.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Rapalyea,

Fuel pump - - - oil fan - - - just what is it that you're concerned with? This thread is all over the place.

I'm sorry ..... I read all the words and I still don't get it :):)

Cheers anyway,

Hank

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Not a bad idea to be able to read out pressure on your handheld if it ever goes bad. 2.0 or 3.0 doesn't really matter as our Mondis never can catch up with the cars in Forza Horizon 2 ;) (Xbox racegame)

but I am lost in your words here chap :)

Nope they haven't, that's really a T and 348 habit. I think the most common issue is wear on earlier Mondials and cannot provide the pressure needed anymore.

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    IIRC you have a 3.2. Your profile doesn't say which model you have and I don't remember. As a data point my fuel pump got noisy, really buzzing, scared me bad and I was 600 miles from home. Stopped into various auto parts stores and of course no one had one so I just hit the road. Got home with no issues and I replaced the pump. If it had not gotten noisy I never would have replaced it.

11. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    3.2, yes. Though it's a chicken-or-the-egg question... did the molten fuse box connector go first or the fuel pump? I replaced both. And the fuse box, too. Ouch.

12. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Something we learned in aviation is the potential for infant mortality. With the Bosch pumps being made in eastern Europe somewhere, or Taiwan, I would keep my existing pump until it fails. I had to replace the fuel pump on my 83, and the new one lasted a whole 16 months before it failed and had to replace it again.

13. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hank, MvT, Dirk

In my old age and advanced state of decline I sometimes ramble on :). However, I have a local mechanic who likes to work on my 1986 Mondial QV Coupe and I want to keep him happy so am looking for tasks. For instance, this Fall I will buy some rubber bushing kits for the steering rack, stabilizer bars and perhaps suspension pieces. Perhaps even shocks. Something to show I appreciate his interest and keep him on his good side.

I talked him into doing my clutch last year and he went above and beyond and charged me $2,000 labor. I am entirely convinced the did a better job then would have been done in Atlanta without the shipping charges which could easily have been half that much to begin with.

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    doc

I am with you on this 'infant mortality' thing. I bought a nice used pontoon boat last year but the previous owner kept the engine. I asked for a used motor from the dealers previous years rental fleet but no such luck. Spent a small fortune on a four stroke Suzuki 90 and still hold my breath after less then 50 hours.

In fact the damn thing lit the engine oil light after a short hard run. Talk about white knuckles getting back into the marina. Turns out it was simply a warning light for routine maintenance which I had done a few hours before required. So a few hours of running tripped the light and it just needed to be reset.

I still miss my ancient Evinrude two stroke. Couldn't kill it with a sledge hammer. Would start each time every time even in Winter and no oil pressure light needed. No electronics. No fuel injection. No special intake runners. Etc Etc.

The big difference is the four stroke seems not to use any fuel at all. The 55 gallon tank was on full so long I was worried gas was accumulating in the tank and would need to by syphoned off for safety. I think the boat gets better gas mileage then the Modial.

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Ah now it figures! I would let him do the bushings of the wishbones/hub. Re-grease the CV joints and perhaps even the front wheel bearings if you want to keep him busy ;) These are areas that on most cars are untouched still and if you don't mind spending money. (which I think is a good thing)

16. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    MvT

Thanks for the heads up! I am making a list and will check it twice in a few months.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi David,

I noticed last week that my engine started running a bit unstable. Brought it into my mechanic - the culprit was as Dave w said - deteriorated rubber that was clogging up the pump. Went ahead and replaced both of em' - Running good again!

The only concern I have is the fuel tank probably has a bunch of nasty rubber bits on the bottom now - probably will take it in and have it flushed clean when I get a chance.

Cheers

18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Paul,

Yeah, I worry also about the various detritus that may have accumulated over the decades. For the time being everything has stabilized. For the last 8,000 miles I have added at least 8oz of two cycle oil in the perhaps vain attempt to protect against alcohol corrosion, and to lube whatever mechanical pieces in the fuel injection system might benefit.

In this regard I am mindful of fuel injectors. I don't know exactly how these work but suspect a simple small ball bearing held in place by a spring which then permits fuel to sprit past under pressure sort of like a windex bottle.

In all fairness to the Mondial it has been a real trooper and has never left me on the road side. And as for loose stuff in the tank I surely have shaken the bejeezes out of it the whole time and it runs better then I ever suspected a near thirty year old car to do. But then my other old car ride is 50 years old; 1965 Corvair convertible. Before I got the Mondial it was my daily Summer ride.

I found it in 1979 and just kept driving it. The top has not been up in five years and I fear it feels neglected of late. The Corvair is one reason I do not worry all that much about my oil leaking Ferrari. If you have ever owned a Corvair? Well, there are perhaps four dozen places to develope a leak.

I had mine resealed a few years ago and I can actually use the heater without fear of carbon monoxide poisoning.

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Speaking of accumulating... or accumulators instead, which is more likely to cause a problem i.e. usually not the fuel pump. However, see the other/recent thread for pertinent information.

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hi Wade, thanks for your advice. I try to keep all this info stored someplace in my cranium or in my print-out stack.

The car has improved in every way over the last year. And seems to like the daily attention which means getting in, turning the key once, then driving away. Of course I am always concerned when driving my 50 year old Corvair [though not much - since I found it back in 1979 it has never been towed off the road.]

But so far neither has the Mondial. But only 8,000 miles so far. I think the car is a lady who rewards simple attention. I need to pick a name. Prune Hilda will likely not do well.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Ha! "Prune Hilda", that's plum crazy (but you knew that was coming) ;)

"Old Red" might not be too receptive either.