Service Records What do they mean? | FerrariChat

Service Records What do they mean?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ScottS, Jul 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I just received the complete service records from my soon to be delivered 1991 Mondial t Cab. I had seen the most recent three years but the prior decades were not available.

Reviewing them in detail for the first time- I thought several conflicting ideas.
    One - the previous owner spent a lot of money between 2001 and 2007 and drove the car in total 4k miles. There were two major services records with belts etc for 10-12K each (2001 and 2007). Clutch has been done, the fusebox has been replaced.

The car was serviced at four centers in LA/Beverly Hills and had a history of running rough. The alternators were r and r'd then replaced. The battery twice ( three times maybe). Multiple electrical gremlins were fixed. There is a charger hard wired now. And jumper cables.

In total I think I have 40K of service on the car in six years ( for what was a ten year old car then) Very high running costs for what it was at that point. In contrast, my 430 has cost me 3K in work including a major and miscellaneous little things in three years. What a different experience. IF my 430 was 40 K in six years, I do not think I would keep it.

Good news is no body work, no issues, stored in climate controlled environment. Good recent service ( although I will do a major later this year/next year).

So would you be happy that the work has been done, and the owner would do whatever it took and run his card- or would you be concerned about a car needing so much work?

Lastly as others have suggested- from the records, it seems the quality of resolving the complaints is truly variable in some known and very expensive independents in CA.

Thoughts?

ScottS

2. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    by the sound of it you have a good car that has been WELL maintained ...note :the engine does have to be dropped adds to the service

welcome to the Mondi club!

3. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Honestly Scott my experience tells me that those stacks of papers don't mean much. They tell me that he followed Ferrari's "advice" to change belts every 3 years regardless of mileage. It used to be 5 years for belt changes cause their parts were only good for 5 years. They changed it to 3 years 'cause their parts now are only good for 3 years. What a joke!

You didn't mention total mileage so replacing a clutch is maybe OK depending on miles or maybe someone did not what the hell they were doing with a manual transmission. If your car were actually well maintained he would not have had to replace the fuse box, or batteries, or alternators, etc. The fact that it has a history of running rough and had/has electrical problems tells me whoever did the work only did what the book said and DID NOT ACTUALLY FIX THE CAR.

The one really big thing that I have learned over the last 9 years of ownership of my T coupe is WHO did the work is more important than WHAT was done to the car. If you get the right WHO (not easy at all) then the WHAT will follow along because that person will fix your car, not just repair it by the book. There is a difference...a BIG difference.

4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I agree. It's kind of like going to the doctor. Really only other doctors know who is good.

I agree about the problem not being fixed. One can almost see the process of elimination by repair and part replacement. Total miles is 29k. I talked to the prior owner. Loved the car, expected to pay for the Ferrari experience and did. Clearly it was well cared and serviced but whether the work was needed. ...? At least it has a lot of new parts.

That's the thing about service records I think. They show intent and ability to care for but that may be it. At least I know there are no hidden neglected issues. Now there may be hidden issues but not for not going to the mechanic.

The last thing is it is Amazing to see those numbers rack up.

Scotts

5. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Amen brother and good luck. When these cars are right they're a blast.

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    I think it depends upon what your goal is at the end of the day. For me, it was very important that the car was all original. That being said, I had no service history. Everyone thought that is the biggest no no, but I really didn't want a car that had been tinkered with, no matter how skilled the former owner and/or his mechanic were. I wanted an unmolested car.
    I knew I would be paying for my own peace of mind. And I have. Now jump forward 5 years and my car has had two majors, an engine out when I purchased it, and an engine in last fall. I've had incredible experiences thanks to my Mondial, and while she and I have covered 20k miles since purchase, and have spent at this point close to what I paid, my car is 100% dependable as far as a 25 year old car can be. And has provided more enjoyment than any other car I've ever owned.

7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Just curious if you did not have records how did you know that nothing was tinkered with? Records show what- if anything- has been tinkered with and or serviced. For me it means the car has been looked after with no intent of neglect. Do I care if the air mass sensor was replaced? Not really. But it has. It also means that I know what has been done so if my guy suggests that the alternator should be replaced, I will suggest that there is another solution or cause since its been done.

What is the minimum service history that one would consider acceptable for twenty four years?

I am like you- I presume I will be restoring this car inside out. But it is nice to do it on my timetable and not all at once from the get go.

BTW none of the previous work was really noted on the PPI at all.

We buy the car from the person as much as the car itself. Having talked to the previous owner, and seen he is, like me, an owner who services his vehicles as best as he can. In addition, he was never planning to sell the car- it was a turn in business, told on the internet, and the need to pay college tuition for a daughter that forced the sale.

Scott

8. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Service records are important in determining the value of a car. For example, if you were pricing a Mondial T with no service records, you would need to budget for at least $10k for a major service and extras.

Service records are also useful in identifying serious mechanical issues: A seller who shells out over $40k in engine repairs, then abruptly sells the car, would be cause for concern.

Based on your description, I think your seller was following service guidelines and tending to repairs as needed. That's a good thing :)

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Question regarding the bold text; any of this occurring after the fusebox was replaced. Also, was the second box OEM or aftermarket?

10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    ? Battery and Alternator done in 2014 for sale.
    Alternator 1-2007
    Alternator and Clutch 2006- same shop
    Rough Running 2005 prior to major- all done, no notes after. 1.5 K miles ago.
    Prior- both Cat convert temp ECus replaced.alternator 2004 again.
    And then little things- fuel door solenoid

Does not say about fusebox- I was going to replace with Dh version (Scucderia Rampante)

Current owner suggested the aftermarket radio and amp was killing the battery and alternators.
    What are your thoughts?

Scotts

11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    29K.orig.miles from new.2 owners from new.Sold new in Monterey,Ca.

Second owner bought car in 2001,and paid $48K.

It had had the 7500 service.(8/92)
    15K.service(6/95)
    22500 service(98)
    FIRST 30K.service{10/01}for $10,000.
    Second 30K.service {6/05}for $12800.
    an additional $18000.+for servicing from `04-`07
    From about `07 till a month ago it has been stored in a collector cars warehouse in So.Ca.

Driven only about 2000 miles in 7 years.+/-.It just had a light $3000 re-activation service( I cannot find the R/O at the moment).

ScottS

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Or it could mean they hate the car and want it gone.