Mondial Cabrio Top Question | FerrariChat

Mondial Cabrio Top Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jhemmer01, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jhemmer01

jhemmer01 Rookie

May 21, 2014
    Fairfax, VA
    Hey guys, I'm a newbie here and am considering a Mondial . My question is this, do all of the Cabs have manual tops or were some available with a power top? Personally, I'd prefer a manual top for ease of maintenance. Thanks in advance for your input. J. Hemmer

2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    They all have manual tops.

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi J.H.,

Oh boy - - A Mondial Cab top is totally manual, and will require "learning curve" time to master. It's not a matter of expense.

Later years power tops can be very expensive to "fix". I paren this because many misshaps are user caused - not paying attention to this or that !!!!! Working with the Mondial Cab top, you must just follow the accepted rules of engagement :):)

Cheers,

Hank

4. jhemmer01

jhemmer01 Rookie

May 21, 2014
    Fairfax, VA
    Thank you, guys. I appreciate the info.

5. Simon Millar

Simon Millar Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    Poole, England
    Full Name:
    Buzz Boy
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_vyfBeMfo]Ferrari Mondial Cabrio Top Operation - YouTube[/ame]

I find this a very helpful video to refresh my approach from time to time....

6. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Ease & the top of a Mondial Cabriolet should never be used in the same sentence.

Cheers

7. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Don't worry about operation. Once you get it down and stowed correctly you will never, ever put it up again.

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Watch the video and you will be a pro in no time flat!

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
  10. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Totally agree!

I'm playing at the beach right now, and did not bring my Mondial down because of the extreme weather that has passed through the past two days. I can and do put my top up for the winter, but that's it. Putting the top and down is the least fun aspect of owning the car. What I do suggest is exercising the rear window motors, and even lubricating them while they are working. Ask both Mike Sou and myself how we know!

PS, you have the biggest avatar on F Chat! Congratulations!

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1, there is a learning curve on how to properly put the top down. I've become a master at it and takes me about 2 mins with the boot on and all. My buddy 'davebdave' has that great video of how to put the top down right as mentioned above.

As far as the rear window motors, I bought old Fiat UNO motors that are the exact motors Ferrari uses but it was too weak to work properly. I bought the Volvo S40 window motor still in the box in my garage but will try to get to it this year.

Like Jay, my car is always garaged with the top down and covered and I only really take the car out on a nice sunny day so at the moment, just don't care about the rear windows being fixed. As a temporary fix, I still have my home made plexi-glass to cover the rear should I get caught in the rain unexpected.

cheers,
    Mike