I Found A New Battery Alternative | FerrariChat

I Found A New Battery Alternative

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jul 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I did not know my 1986 QV coupe would not generate enough voltage at idle to run itself with a weak battery. The battery would not engage the starter, but ran the windows up and down so I pop started the car down the drive and drove for a six pack figuring I would leave the car running. But a block later the car just died.

The neighbor gave me a jump and car started right up but died again when the jumpers were removed. We did it again but once started I kept the revs up and got home ok. Then removed the battery from the top by taking out the small front trunk quarter panel that is just above and to the rear of the battery.

Then visited AutoZone for the biggest baddest version of the existing battery in deep discharge variety. [My car has a voltage leak someplace so I turn the battery switch off. But sometimes forget and gues what? Bad battery made worse after four or five days to drain down.]

They quoted something like $168 but did not have one in stock. So I asked for a marine version which they had on the shelf. It is Duralast 24MD-DL with marine cranking amps @32F = 685; cold cranking amps = 550; 85 Amp Hours. Not sure what all those numbers mean but to me a marine battery simply means it can go dead without dieing.

It is larger then the one it replaced which means a couple of things. First, it is 3/8 in deeper front to back and although it fits in the battery box it covers up the tie down screw hole. Turns out mine was not being used anyway but the battery is taller as well and fits snuggly against the reinstalled trunk quarter panel. Though you can not get to the back installation screw so it is just dropped into the hole.

The most difficult thing was to fit the trunk quarter pannel back into possition. It came out with a small struggle but going back in was a *****. I even removed the windshield washer tank [it just pulls out of its clips] and also the air horn pump. That is the large can-like thing on the passenter side of the trunk area with two rather large hose fittings. One of them goes to the finger size hose that snakes into the front of the car. I don't know whether is sucks or blows. Should have paid more attention when I took it out.

The battery change made more difference then any of the dozens of battery changes I have done over many decades. In fact, the passenger side window has been possitively resuretected. It has been dead for an entire year but had not quite gotten the word. The drives side window is now actually good.

But the windshield Wipers? Wow. They only worked when the windshield was wet. Which is when you want them to work, of course. But now they actuall swipe back and forth with something approaching tentative authority.

And the starter? Its only six month's old but now reacts to the key and turns with authority like it is a different device.

Thats my story for your consideration.

Rapalyea

2. radenton7

radenton7 Rookie

Jul 15, 2014
    I have had the same issue in my 1987 for a long time. One battery per year. I finally sent it to the mechanic and said fix it. 3 weeks later and serious money the main battery issue turns out that there is a diode behind the instruments that was bad. Even though I have a bad cell in the battery the car is transformed. The bottom line is that if you have a bad diode then the alternator will not work correctly and reports to the ECM that it is bad. Charging is not correct and so the battery is slowly destroyed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    You are the second person to mention a possibility of this sort. The other guy said it could be a diode in the alternator itself. However, I am training myself to always turn off the battery and now have a deep discharge marine unit just in case.

The battery seems to charge adequately during routine driving and is full strong after a days driving about. But at least now I have a better idea about the whole thing. I wil log this in my car book for whomever ends up with the car after my future demise, should I not turn out to be immortal.

4. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    A warning on using a marine battery for starting. Marine batteries or other deep cycle type batteries are not meant to be starting batteries, except for a small/medium outboard which draws less cranking amps. The plates are smaller and closer together in a marine battery than a starting battery and they tend to warp under heat load when starters are used.

It's generally not recommended to use a marine batt in this application. What would be better is to find the current drain in the system and fix it. The best way to go about this is to have a multimeter with an amps scale on it, and put it in SERIES with the negative terminal of the battery. Most multimeters will have a separate jack on the front for the amps measurement, so check that. Once you have the meter in series with the negative terminal to ground, you can make sure you have the doors closed, and the key off. Now, one by one, remove each fuse in the fuse panel. Note any changes to the amps draw shown on the meter, and investigate any changes by the circuit that fuse serves.

If you get all the fuses out, and still have a current draw, remove relays one by one and check for current draw with the relay changes. Investigate the circuit where any drop in current draw occurs.

If there is no change after that, remove the field wire from the alternator and check for a change. After that, look for any added wires for radios or aftermarket alarms, etc.

A marine battery is probably not going to last long in a Ferrari. They tend to be hard starting when warm, and sometimes even when cold, and in a hot climate, this will warp the plates eventually.

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I actually bought a 10 amp multimeter today and will start looking. One possibility has already been eliminated. When I removed and cleaned the various terminals and the ground strap I found what seems to be a hot wire with in line fuse to nowhere. May be for the old theft device? Thats one reason I bought the multimeter.

Your observation on the marine battery are well taken. However, the little 8 Cylindar engine is not exactly a fuel dragster and the Starter spins rather easily. But if the battery it goes bad I will get a more conventional deep discharge version. This one only cost $89 and with all the terminal cleaning and what not it spins the starter with modern car instant enthusiasm.

Even the windshield wipers now work ;)

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #6 MvT, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Test to see if the alternator charges at the right voltage.

There is a white connector (yellow/green wire) near the shift linkage. Unplug it and plug a new wire (Alternator side) and hook it up on a multimeter. Start the Mondi hold it against the + to see if you get around 14.3 volt. (mine gave 75amps) If it is then your alternator is in good condition. Or put the altenator on a test bench :)

7. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #7 Jaguar 15, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    I would fix the problem, and a marine battery is not the answer. A marine battery, in fact has thicker heavier plates, not smaller or thinner. It is meant to hold a charge over time, charge and discharge to power a fridge, TV's, lights, electronics, etc on a boat. It is not meant to start a car. Eventually you will be in the same "boat".....

FYI---I have 12 Trojan T-125's on the boat to power everything while away from shore.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Starter is stronger then ever before as are window and wiper motors. And the battery only cost $89 anyway. Also the battery states right on it "marine cranking amps @32F = 685".

Perhaps we have different specs; I have had boats for many years and have always thought of marine batteries as simply deep discharge tolerant. I have a small 21ft pontoon boat and next time I am over to the marina will ask.

9. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Battery drain is now at 0.08 amps so disconnecting the strange in line fused hot wire might have been the problem. Time will tell.