Mondial T Shock Warning light | FerrariChat

Mondial T Shock Warning light

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by srf7399, Jul 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. srf7399

srf7399 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #1 srf7399, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
    Help, I have a 90 T, I that has had the warning light for the shocks on since I purchased it. I thought it may be the actuators but after talking to Lynn from www.captainzcnc.com ,he was extremely knowledgeable and told me a way to test my actuators and surprise, they all are cycling. Yet I still have the warning light. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what to check? I know that having the light is a good sign and the fact they are cycling is also a great sign. There must me a simple fix (if that is possible in Ferrari land) could it be as simple as the selector switch?

Steve

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    We had that exact problem when we bought our Ferrari. The fix was simple, remove cover plate under carpet in passenger footwell and replace shot computer with new $1200 computer. You might get lucky simply by cycling the connector.

Dave

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    ...and I have the same car as you, a 1990 "T".
    My issue was leaking front shocks as well as a broken rear shock. After replacing the broken rear shock last year, the problem remained. I had the front shocks rebuilt this year, as well as one of the gears in a front actuator replaced and the computer automatically reset itself. No warning lights now!!
    Just because the actuators are cycling does not mean a ring gear is not stripped. If it is broken the computer locks all shocks at the coarse medium setting but the firmest sub setting within medium.
    If you read up on this Bilstein system, it is a pretty amazing system, especially for 1990 technology. There are 6 settings within each of the 3 main driver selectable settings. 18 settings in total. The automatic sub-settings are computer controlled, based on speed and lateral G forces.
    This system was also used on the Corvette of the same period.
    The F550 and F355 used a more advanced computer but simpler sub-selection system with fewer sub-steps. It was, however, basically the same overall design.

DavidJ

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks, I never knew this!! Are they stepped? In other words, is the stiffer setting in "soft" still softer than the softer setting in "medium"?

OP:
    When you spoke to Lynn, was it confirmed that the plastic gear was still good? I think the shocks actuators can cycle, but if the plastic gear is stripped, you still get a fault light. Replacement gears are $35 and are metal if I recall correctly. Out of the earlier Corvette system.

Have you tried to simply turn off the battery for an hour or so and then turn back on? That helped reset mine a couple of times before I replaced a stripped gear.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. MMT

MMT Karting

Apr 3, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The light was also on my car, it just came on while it was not driven ,which I had it park in the garage for almost a month but would start it once a week for battery charge up, as I took it out for drive the light gone, possible different issue than what have (refer to my post Mondial T 1992) if can help.
    Michael

6. srf7399

srf7399 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lynn thinks it could still be an issue but we believe because the shock selector switch is always lit up (top and bottom selectors) there could be an issue with the switch itself.
    as anyone had to replace the switch?

7. srf7399

srf7399 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I am turning off the battery for the evening and Will let you know. I am told if the computer is bad the system will usually not show the warning light or cycle the actuators.
    It is an amazing system that was outlawed in formula one for creating an advantage to Ferrari.

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Are they stepped? In other words, is the stiffer setting in "soft" still softer than the softer setting in "medium"?

As far as I understand there are no overlaps. The settings go from Soft/soft to Hard/hard in 18 steps over the 3 tiers.

DavidJ

9. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve

You didn't say but does the switch work, i.e. can you "feel" the different settings from soft to med to hard while driving the car. There should be a marked noticeable difference especially between soft and medium or hard. If the shocks adjust then there's something going on with that shock light. If the shocks don't adjust then the light is working correctly and something is not allowing things to work as they should. As stated above check under the passenger footwell carpet and try to disconnect and re-connect. Hopefully this will work and you will not need a new computer.

10. Simon Millar

Simon Millar Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    Poole, England
    Full Name:
    Buzz Boy
    Yes, I replaced my switch with a new one from Ricambi - not cheap! (I take the view that a 3 position switch that remains relaible may be a chllenge too far for a Ferrari parts supplier) - works fine now

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Absolutely agree that the difference in ride can be felt instantly as the switch is toggled.

It's a fabulous feature !!!

Cheers, Hank

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    IIRC, when the lights are lit, the shocks go into automatic HARD mode [or was if medium?] been a long time and sold the books with the car, but it's in there.

13. TMan

TMan Formula Junior

May 13, 2006
    Colorful Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Right on Hank, that's one of the great features of the Mondi t's.

And SonomaRik, the shocks should default to the medium setting if not working properly. I said "should".

14. srf7399

srf7399 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I should have the new switch tomorrow and though hope is not a strategy I hope this solves the problem. The old switch lights top and bottom and feels like it is working but the selected light does not go off as the switch is toggled.
    When you say the control panel is under the passenger footwell. Where is it?

15. srf7399

srf7399 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Dave