A very sad day but also a start of a new beginning | FerrariChat

A very sad day but also a start of a new beginning

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by peterdavid911, Jul 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 peterdavid911, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To all my fellow Mondial friends here, after 2 years and 2 months I am very sad to say that as of yesterday I no longer have my wonderful car, a 1987 3.2 coupe in Blue Sera, 1 of only 4 UK cars.
    I have been looking for a while to change it for another Ferrari and the crazy rising UK prices are out of control so i had to do something soon. For example 2 years ago when I bought mine, a 328 was £35,000, now they are £55-£60,000. Convert that to US dollars and you see what I mean. 355s are the same price as 328s, etc, etc. Mondials have also risen at a slower pace.

I have however bought another Ferrari, an amazing 348ts, a 1993 model with only 27,000 miles, which are quite rare here for that year which had all the factory upgrades including the battery in the front version which included suspension modifications etc.

I have always wanted one and the 355 was out of reach. In fact a 360 is not much more than 348 prices at the moment. I can honestly say its a different beast, it looks stunning and has a Nuovolari exhaust and wakes everything in it path and REALLY happy with it:)

So here’s to another beginning, thank you all:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    Congrats on your beautiful 348!!!

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Very nice! Good luck with the new car!

4. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Love the interior!

5. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks guys,

I woke up this morning and thought I was dreaming it all yesterday. The neighbours dogs are not too happy when I fire her up:)

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Peter,

Sorry to see Sera go but wow I do understand you've gone to the dark side = (Rosso/Tan).
    This is why one should not have 348 wheels on a Mondi, it will eventually lead to a 348. She's GORGEOUS my friend! Be Safe.

Best,
    Mike

7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Mike,

Great to hear from you, its been a while. Hope all is well there and that Robin is keeping you out of trouble:)

I wil definitely stay in touch here.

Cheers.

Peter

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Beautiful!

Congrats that looks great!

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Congrats Peter! She is absolutely gorgeous, I LOVE the interior. Those 348s are growing on me lately.
    Have fun ;-)

10. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I never get over the difference between right hand and left hand drive. The obvious choice is right hand [old time jousting etc]. I have heard left hand drive has something to do with where the mule skinner would sit for multi-mule heavy wagons.
    Most people are right handed and if you need to thrash the second of six mules [we had Twenty Mule Train Wagons out West] you might want to sit on the left hand side for better reach with your right arm. I don't know.

But I can tell you this. I am already a bit dyslexic and there is no way I would ever rent a right hand drive car on vacation. A Public Menace would be me. Hell. We even walk right in front of Brit Busses and never even knew it was comming.

Nice car though!

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Peter,

That is one beautiful GTS. Don't you just love how full body color of the side sills and front and rear valances of the later 348s make for such a clean & complete picture.

Mondials, even in their similar later years, never adopted the full body paint approach. Next week, I'll be bucking the trend - as have a few others.

Enjoy your car in the very best of health !!!

Cheers, Hank

12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It's beautiful. Congrats. A different experience no doubt. Please tell us more when you have more seat time.

Hank
    Please post pictures. I thought about the same.

Scotts

13. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Believe me, I will !!! :):) Peter's 348 looks so stunning that way !!!

Cheers, Hank

14. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Stunning car. A 348 is also one of the under estimated F-cars.
    Enjoy her to the max.

Did you trade her in at the dealer or private sale?

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congrats on your 348ts Peter! Very nice one! I like the 3 tone interior very much! Hope that the Mondial gets another nice owner that takes good care of her. I know this 348ts is in good hands :) I am looking at another F as well, 348tb or F355 to restore, but I want it yellow with red interrior. And no the Mondial will not go ;) I am too fond on it.

16. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thank you all so much for your kind words! I will answer all questions that I can.

The interior was very important to me, in fact i was actually offered a 94 Spider for around £1,000 less but was black inside and for some reason I just didnt like it. It was too austere and reminded me of my 911s I had. Just a personal opinion, i know some people prefer black instead, i suppose thats why we have the choices. But the 3 tone does wonders for me.

As for the lower body sills and front and rear valances being colour coded it certainly makes the car look lower and yes I agree it looks good on the Mondials too. It was a design trait that followed many of the 80s Ferraris. On my 348 it was factory supplied like that, it was a change from the 93 models and onwards. The earlier ones were black.

The driving experience compared to my Mondial is phenomenal. Seriously the steering on my Mondial was embarrassing trying to park between 2 cars and would often break into a sweat as it was so heavy and would drive further to get a better space. Not so in this, in fact its so light it feels assisted. Also the turning circle feels smaller because of the quicker gearing of the steering rack, i can now do 3 point turns instead of the 5 i used to do:)

I had to trade in the Mondial, it was so sad to see her go as i spent so much time and money on her but i got every penny back in appreciation.

If anyone is considering one just do it! Prices in the UK for good ones are going up. This one just had a major major major service last year, in fact a complete overhaul at £9,500, approx $15,000. Yes you read it correctly:)

And it does make me nervous but love it!