1988 3.2 mondiail coupe whats it worth? | FerrariChat

1988 3.2 mondiail coupe whats it worth?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by tr512, Jul 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have a friend who wants to buy an SL mercedes that i have and part of the trade would be for his mondial.A bit about the car its a 1988 mondial coupe abs car black with red interior..very rare i've been told. no rips rust or dents,major service was done 2yrs ago car has 40000 miles and runs great even the air cond and sunroof work.this car is in great shape for it years.It came into canada in 2003 and is org from the states.
    Would there be any interest in this car? and what might it be worth?
    Like i said this car is VERY clean and org.Why i ask because we have not made a deal yet.
    I have a 355 and i would not be keeping the car.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    These cars are all over the charts, value-wise, although they don't come up for sale very often. The usual variables apply e.g. location, need/desire, and so many more. Let's not forget low demand for an ultra rare car.

As a FYI, I have nearly the identical car; owned since Feb 2009 but searched for 5 years prior (wanted a black 3.2 Coupe). Mine has ABS, red int. but no sunroof.

So, when comparing to sales of other coupes (Mondial 8 and QV) I like to say $29K but reality puts it closer to $25K, or $28 at best (recent full service and working a/c a real plus).

Of course, I'm referring to a "driver" with no corrosion "issues" and fully sorted (i.e. everything works).

Here's mine:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/dto_showcase.php?do=preview&g=2001

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    BTW, there were less than 100 88 Coupes imported into the U.S. and Canada. I have no idea regarding survivors (attrition).

Awesome cars too, and easy to keep! :D

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I bought a clean 1986 coupe with 44,000 miles but the A/C does not work. I paid $30K plus a couple of grand shipping. I scattered the clutch but thats another matter. However, other then my own shenanigans the car has been trouble free after another 6,000 miles.

Personally I would not want either power steering, ABS or adjustable shocks simply because of potential maintenance. [Perhaps the ABS simply reverts to regular power brakes and that would be fine].

As for A/C I do not live in an area where I need it, but sort of wonder if it would work all that well in a climate where you would need it? Besides, driving my Ferrari with the windows up is sort of like screwing with a condom.

5. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    According to the numbers I've seen posted here on F-chat, there were only 35 1988 Mondial 3.2 coupes sold in North America.

6. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I believe you're thinking of the Mondial T coupes.

7. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    No, there were 43 of those for 1989.

Not my numbers. Just what I saw posted here previously:

Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Coupe Total Production

1986-1988: 987 Worldwide, of which 87 went to the US/CA

Mondial 3.2 Coupe 1986 (Chassis numbers 61851 - 66205) #29 in US/CA
    Mondial 3.2 Coupe 1987 (Chassis numbers 66781 - 73347) #23 in US/CA
    Mondial 3.2 Coupe 1988 (Chassis numbers 74455 - 78666) #35 in US/CA

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I guess I should change my post to say "less then 100 3.2 Coupes..." ;)

9. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm the new owner of the car now.we made a deal last night.I just couldn't let this very clean org car go.I will remove the side window tint ,there will be a very nice clean 3.2 mondial coupe forsale in a few days.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Very nice! You can list it on FerrariAds for only $15 which comes with a one year Silver subscription. See the link at the top of the page.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  12. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks wade
    its not the $15 but i think i will try to sell it first in canada,i dont think i will have a problem plus i'm going to be very fair on the price.But i still should sign up for a subscription to support Fchat.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Based on latest Ferrari Market Letter ... 3.2 Coupe is at 28.5

Hope this helps

14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Prices are on the rise for all pre 90 Fcars. Some much more than others but....

15. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Im going to be listing the car in a few days with lots of photos.So if anybody wants a real clean rust free car.Hang tight.

16. WilD

WilD Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Very interesting. I wonder if the fact that it was originally from the states would make bringing it back into the states easier...

17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    If it is a US car, should be no issue- Either way it is now 25 years old and able to be imported without conversion. Now duty is another issue.

Where are those pictures?

Scott

18. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I will take some photo"s today and post an add under ferrari's forsale on fchat.

19. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My compliments Wade.

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Rob,

Here's hoping that this post find you & yours, bursting your seams with joy. OK, that's a bit over the top :):):)

So, Mr. 99 - - just what are you lusting for, these days? If you're still thinking Valeo, you've got an ever narrowing window of opportunity.

One day, and I believe quite soon ......... these amazing machines will begin JUMPING in value. And, OMG - - they are such a joy to drive - the best of "both worlds".

Cheers mate,

Hank

21. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have just listed the car with photos under Ferraris for sale.

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks Rob :)

23. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hank

I agree these cars are way good in so many ways. In addition, my 1986 coupe has simple electronics, un-assisted steering, mechanical fuel injection, plenty of cocpit and head room. Even very large and convenient parcel shelves behind the front seats. Grocery bags don't even get thrown around do to excellent comparmentalization on all four sides.

24. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sorry Hank I missed the "Mr. 99" connex to my handle.

Anyhow I still hanker for that perfect Valeo. Hopefully the latest LHD Valeo coupe available out there.

I have to say though as I watch the Mondial threads with interest I get glimmers of fear that I am turning into a reliability yearner. Getting too old and distracted to spend time figuring out issues. I had a beautiful Caddy Seville with the Northstar engine that drove me crazy with sorting Service Engine Lights and overheating. Ultimately its heads separated from the aluminum block due to fundamental engineering mis-design by GM. It is sometimes just nice to not have to focus on "what can be wrong now?"

25. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #25 hank sound, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Hi robbio99,

I must tell you - most of the stuff that you're reading, isn't even Valeo related. If any problem remotely related to "shifting" occurs, Valeo gets the nasty eye. Yet, time after time, Valeo clears its name. They just don't break !!! My statements above, don't mean that I'm not hearing your concern. You have to go with gut.

Me, I was over the moon about the Valeo before I even got Rachel. I did the homework - knew about the Group B boys and how the system just never failed, even under stresses and challenges that are mind boggling. So, 10 years later, I'm even crazier about the system because it makes everyday driving, a totally different experience compared to both "standard & automatic" driving. How many times do we shift our manual trannies in the course of a day's outing? I don't know the number either, but I'll tell you this, each time I throw a shift, I smile - and it's all Valeo related !! Probably looks goofy too !! :):)

Get this - - if I was in the market for an F40 .. and 4 of them were on the block, with one being the Gianni Agnelli Valeo F40 ..... guess which one would go home with me. :):):):):)

If a LH Valeo Coupe was out there, I would go Cashew Nuts !!! But my accountant would kick my a$$. :(:(:(

Cheers,

Hank