Battery Drain at 0.08 Amps | FerrariChat

Battery Drain at 0.08 Amps

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Jul 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Recently posted I had replace my battery because it would go dead after a few days, and then it died entirely. Installed a new marine battery, removed/cleaned all the cables, and removed an in-line-fused hot-wire-to-nowhere connector. [Perhaps old anti-theft] The starter works as if Charles Atlas was helping and even the windshield wipers now work.

I never bothered to measure the drawdown prior to the new battery installation, but do not suspect 0.08 Amp draw down will kill the battery. I suspect the residual drain is for the digital clock and perhaps some other small stuff?

Any thoughts on the matter? Should I still remove fuses etc. to isolate this draw-down and/or still turn the battery switch off?

Thanks!

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    What is an amp/hour? This battery lists 85 amp/hours but I do not for one minute believe it can deliver 85 amps for one hour. That would be more then 1,000 watts (85 amps x 12 volts) for an entire hour. More then one horse power.

I could be wrong, of course. But if it is so, and if you discount the natural time-degradation, that would mean my measely 0.08 draw down would take about 1,000 hours?

3. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    0,08 A seems low enough
    A 70AH battery will last a couple of weeks on that
    A lead acid battery should be recharged every 8 weeks anyhow
    to maximise battery life (never under 12,25V)

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    And I will keep in mind the charging issue.

5. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Did not see this post when I posted last
    85Ah definitely means 85A for one hour at 12V, but this is only theoretical
    A lead acid battery can never be fully drained, this will kill the battery or reduce its life drastically
    A starter battery should only be unloaded up to 75% of its total capacity
    It is mainly designed to deliver starting power (hence CCA: cold cranking amps)
    A marine battery may be an AGM type that can be discharged deeper

If you do not drive for longer period use the switch as I do

6. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Rapalyea & Frank

I'd like to suggest that you get a proper battery maintainer, with the quick disconnect hard wired to your battery post. On my Rachel, I pop the front boot and connect or disconnect, depending on whether I'm coming or going:). It's so bloody simple and inexpensive - and your clock is always correct ! :):)

My battery is always fully charged and, more importantly, the alternator does not have to struggle to charge a flat battery while driving - which can dramatically contribute to the killing of alternators !!!

Cheers,

Hank

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Indeed the clock plus the lights relay which stays energised despite everything "off".
    But that doesn't drain the battery noticeably.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Hank

Thanks for the thoughts and your suggestion is something to consider. You also wrote: "clock is always correct". Mine just flashes zeroes and I intend to put a piece of black electrical tape over it. Also the intermitent "brake failure" and "Check Engine" lights.

The car has run and stopped fine for more then 6,000 miles over the last year. And truth be told, I do not know if the radio works because I have never turned it on. I listen to the flat crank exhaust without distraction ;)

9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The radio does work but I remember I had to google it to figure out what button works what. I too hardly ever used the stereo as I loved listening to that motor. I'm glad you are enjoying and putting the miles on it I still miss it!

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Totally agree, Rapalyea !!

In ten years, I have never turned on Rachel's stereo system (and Rod Stewart had it installed) because it would pale, compared to the magnificent Italian Opera behind my head !!

Cheers,

Hank