Looking for my first | FerrariChat

Looking for my first

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by RyanM, Jul 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    Hello all, I'm the new guy. Looking to purchase my first Ferrari and the Mondial is at the top of the list. Mainly because with 2 daughters under 10, I can argue "practicality" due to the back seat. Haha!
    Since I'm new I don't have much background information, I was hoping you could help me with some links to information sources? I have tried a few searches of this sub forum with no good returns (though that could be my wording). No sticky threads like most of the sub forums.
    As I understand it, despite the relatively low price of admission, the Mondial, is a fairly rare car? My only concern with that is the availability of parts. Are they hard to come by?
    Anyone have any ideas where the value of these cars is heading?
    I understand the last question is going to be educated guesses.

For any of you who own, or have owned multiple Ferrari's, the other cars on my radar are the 348 and 355. Would love opinions on which way to lean as I continue my search.

Thanks for the help!

2. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Welcome Ryan. This forum and other 308 sub forums are going to be your best source of info on the cars. This is the 'big daddy' of Mondial info although there are regional sites with some specific info. I'm not sure what you are searching for so I can't tell you specifically what to look for?

The combined variants of the Mondial had a pretty long production run from 80-94, covering four sub-groups. Parts availability has never been a problem, except for some obscure parts the price is rather high. We have pretty good owner support, and what I would call decent factory support for cars which in some cases are now 35 years old. The engine and drive are basically the same as the 308/348, the brakes are 328/348 sourced, and steering shares with either the 328, or the 348. Body panels, and trim are unique and those are the bits that may be hard to source although we do have a breakers yard in AZ with a fair amount of stock.

We would all like to say that future values are improving, but I've owned my car for more than 10 years, and I haven't seen any appreciable increase in value. The Mondial reputation in Ferrari is really rather bad, and we are often subtly shunned by the more glam models. The Mondial is clearly the bargain play of the marque to buy in, but of course the maintenance costs are on par with the more upscale neighbors.

My advice if you are buying a Ferrari for YOUR pleasure and that of your young family, the Mondial is outstanding value and enjoyment. If you are buying a Ferrari for what OTHERS will think of you as a person, the Mondial is not well suited, and you would be better with a 355/360.

I have never owned one so take this last bit as informed speculation but the 355 has a reputation for seriously costly faults due to some poor design issues in the valve train and exhaust. Again, not an expert, but one hears things.

3. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks for the info Doc.
    I'm sorry that I can't tell you what exactly I'm searching for other than to say I'm wanting to learn all I can about the models that I'm interested in.
    As far as my interest in Ferrari, I'm not concerned what others think other than when I show up at a cars and coffee, or a Ferrari owners event, that the other owners at said event say "That's a fine example of that car". I have a price range which is why the 348 and 355 are included in my search. I do love the 308, but I don't feel I'm ready to own a classic like the 308. So I've narrowed my search to the more modern of the "affordable" models.
    I hope that made sense.

4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Feel free to call me, I have owned all those (12 Mondials, 6 348's and a 355), as I can help answer all your questions with one call, rather than spend 2 hours writing a long post. Free consultation advice ;)

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #5 MvT, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Welcome Ryan,

From an engine and transmission perspective the 308/328 and Mondial of the same years are practically the same. Only the body is different.

I think if you want indeed a 4 seater then the Mondial is a perfect vehicle. In my opinion you would need to make a first choice if you want the earlier type of engine in a Mondial or that you like to go for a Mondial T (348 has the also the T engine)

Mondial earlier engine till 1988
    - Major service can be done with engine leaving in the engine bay
    - Cheaper in maintenance.
    - Old type (edge wing arches) fenders front and rear.
    - Up to 1985 the Mondial have a two tone (Black/body color) bumper.
    - From 1986 untill last Mondial T it has a bumper in body color.

Mondial T new engine from 1989.
    - Major service the engine needs to go out of the engine bay
    - Parts on the engine/transmission are more expensive then earlier Mondial model.
    - Redesigned interior
    - More modern fenders (Flat arches)
    - Lower gravity point then earlier mondials.

These are the significate differences between the earlier and modern Mondial.

Tons of info here to find and you are at the right place for seeking answers :D hope you will find what you are looking for!

and I would certainly give Stephane a call :)

HTH in making your first choice
    All the best,
    Tijn

6. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks Stephanie! Rather than sit on the phone for a few hours asking question after question, I will take you up on your offer when I have specific questions. Awesome to have you as a resource!
    in the meantime is there an information website other than wikipeidia that you can suggest? A Google search turns up cars for sale, and a UK information site.

As a side note, with you in Vegas, do you know much of Kounts Kustoms? My wife wants them to build her a CJ7. I only know them from the TV show. DO they have a good rep?

7. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    In reading what I could find, I think I like the T model. I think owning a car that started the T configuration for Ferrari is a very nice conversation aspect as well as adding to the cars historical value. Not to mention from a personal standpoint, I like the cars added performance over the other models.

8. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I thought the same about getting a t model as well. Then I started looking at all the extra stuff that goes with it, and the mx involved and I rather like my 3.0QV.

Of course, I'm a DIY guy so the extra mx is important to me, but for someone who uses a shop for service, the t offers some improvements in ride and top speed. Just for me, the marginal performance and visual changes were not enough to justify the much higher service costs.

9. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It is very exciting to look for one's first Ferrari. The people here are amazing as a resource.

One spot with a tremendous amount of articles is Paul's site- mondialt.com

It has links to several excellent PDFs that will interest you.

Also check out the buyers guide available at one of the sites.

All of the cars you are looking at/considering are great,each with pro's and cons. I picked up my mondialt for 1) convertible and 2) back seats. With my little guys it's hard when they fight to go with Dad in the F430.

Last advice that always sounds trite but isnt- buy the best example of whatever you decide- don't choose by price point, good examples with service records, maybe less owners, but at least with owners who did the maintenance and service. These cars get expensive very quickly.

Keep us in the loop we love to see the cars........

Scotts

10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Kount Kustoms is a stand up guy and a good friend. He is going to work on one of my cars soon. Great reputation here in Vegas.

11. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks for the resource Scott, check your inbox!

Thanks for the side info Stephanie. We spoke with Danny about doing the Jeep a while ago but haven't pulled the trigger. Our point on the subject was if we spent 40k on a new Jeep, how much more badass of a Jeep could she get if we gave Danny that 40k and had him build us one?

12. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    I understand what you are saying doc. That added 40 HP may not be worth the added service bill of dropping the engine for major service intervals. (Think timing belt)

I have the mechanical inclination of a monkey without opposable thumbs. In no way would I ever attempt anything more than oil changes and even that would be questionable with a Ferrari.

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Having owned a QV Coupe AND now owning a t Coupe, the t Coupe is worth the extra mx and aggravation, hands down.

It's way more than 40 bhp difference. It's power steering, better suspension, better ride/handling balance, better build quality.

For there to be so little difference between values, the t has it all over the earlier cars...

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Shameless plug: mondialt.com

15. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    already there Paul...reading on my lunch break.

ProCoach...but I read the timing belt change can cost upwards of 10k when having to drop the engine. Is this typical internet misinformation (and the reason I'm here asking for sources)?

Stephanie, I don't want to hijack your sale thread, so I'm asking you here (hope you are still reading this thread). Why do you suggest the topless model? As I understand it the coupe has less numbers. Both made and here in the US. Wouldn't that make the coupe more valuable?

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

I just think as a first Ferrari, if you're looking at the "T's for the better performance, power steering, etc, the cabriolet is the way to go if you plan on putting your kids in the back.
    Yes, the coupe is extremely rare and all, but if you plan on driving kids around, their level of comfort is important. I also like the sounds of the engine when the top is down. I miss my T valeo cabrio for that reason.
    The reason I have a coupe now is the kids are no longer an issue, they are all grown, and I had the valeo when I bought it.
    By the way, it's Stephane, not Stephanie ;)

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    ProCoach, didn't I read that changing even the accessory belts (water pump, alternator, compressor) on a Mondial T require engine removal? I could be wrong, but that's what I remember. The power steering of the T would be a huge plus, as I understand it makes the steering significantly fewer turns lock-to-lock (and thus its faster). My biggest complaint about my 3.2 is that the steering is slow (well, compared to my Europa TC).

BTW: I have owned a 3.2 coupe for 12 1/2 years & have enjoyed it immensely. It was my daily driver until summer 2011. For a Ferrari, it's fairly easy to work on by yourself, and regardless of which model the OP gets, Ferrari Chat is an absolutely superb resource; fantastic people who will answer any question (even my dumb ones!) and help each other at the drop of a hat. Frankly, if not for FChat, I might have unloaded the Mondial 5 or 6 years ago.

OP, I hope you enjoy the Ferrari brotherhood.

18. RyanM

RyanM Rookie

Jul 22, 2014
    Apologies on the name, I'm dyslexic. So half the time when I'm reading I'm making educated guesses on the words rather than trusting what my brain is telling me. You should see my spell check errors!

David, I have had a few folks send me a PM and have been awesome in helping me out. So far I'm loving the responses and great attitudes of the folks here. Even if a misunderstanding did make Ms. Stephane want to smack me a few hours ago. :)

19. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Yeah, it's not so much anything to do with HP. The t is a more refined chassis with newer systems. Like the variable shock rate setting for example.

It depends on what floats your boat. The early cars are pretty simple to work on. The most complicated part of them is the Motronic ignition, and they are pretty robust.

If you aren't going to be doing any of your own work, just be prepared for some service bills. The 'major' service on a QV car is prolly about $3200 baseline with no surprises. The major service on a t is going to be well over double that baseline. A $10k major service is not out of line on a t, but would be pretty hard pressed to spend that for a QV or a Mondial 8. There are shops which will recommend engine/trans removal on a QV. It's not necessary, and can even be counterproductive. On the cabrio version the front of the engine is accessible easily through a service hatch in the rear firewall. I've done cam timing with a dial indicator, and valve lash adjustment by sitting in the rear seat on a QV cabrio. On a t model, you can't even think of doing this work before getting the whole package out first, and then putting it back in.

Both are good cars, decide what's important.

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    One of the guys had a water pump go bad on his T and as I recall it required engine out. Plus the shop had the car for weeks if not months he was in a state of rebellion at the shop. All the 3.2 accessory pieces I know of are accesible with engine in. And any good mechanic can replace them.

I scattered the cluch on my 3.2 and [with step by step illustrated instructions from birdman] took the stack of print-outs to my local guy up here in the North Georgia mountains and asked him if he could do that. He does a lot of his own hot rods and is a very good builder. I think he a ball doing the work, having never had a Ferrari in his shop prior. Even asked if I wanted him to replace the belts! And I suspect he did a better job then an F shop would have done. Probably at half the price as well.

The heavy stearing takes a lot of getting used to in the un-boosted cars. Do not plan on a lot of parallel parking. However, even very slow speeds make the steering useable around parking lots and the like. I am used to it by now. But I wonder at the potential down time and expense of repairs of power steering and sort of doubt it can be driven with a failed sytsem.

Interestingly, power steering was a delete option at one time or another.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, on the t there's a single cambelt that drives both cylinder banks along with the water pump. So the motor needs to come out for repair.

Interesting, the 3.2 steering at low/no speed is very easy compared to my 348.