Cleaning and painting | FerrariChat

Cleaning and painting

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Antwan, Jul 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    All,
    You may have seen that I have recently extracted my engine. I want it looking pristine before it goes back. To say it needs tlc is an understatement.

Any advise on what to clean components with and how best to paint components without it flaking off in future? I have seen a few people paining plenums and rocker covers!!

Thanks in advance
    Ant

2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Antwan,
    I'm pulling my engine as well. Some parts have been powdercoated RAL 7004 as I was told this is more durable. Other parts will be powdercoated black in the near future.
    I'm still in question what to do with the exhaust (heat wrap or ceramic powdercoating, but I can't someone doing this in the region)
    Here's my blog: My Mondial 8 resto , I'm certainy following what you're doing, so I can pick up some things along the way.
    best
    Jurgen

3. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Hi Enzo. Progress is good but nothing to see just yet. Just undressing the engine ready for a thorough clean before I start removing bits.
    Did you powder coat your engine bits or just structural bits
    Thanks

4. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    I had the camcovers and belt covers done. I figured that powdercoating will be better than painting will be. Undercarriage will powdercoated as well, but this need to be pulled first, but first i need to figure out how cause i don't have a lift.
    Best
    Jurgen

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    When I had my engine out done last year I had my belt covers powder coated in black, The cam covers powder coated in wrinkle finish Ferrari Red , and my intake plenium powder coated in wrinkle finish sliver/grey. They will never need to be repainted ever again and they all look great.
    I'll post some pix tonight.

DavidJ

6. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Please!!

7. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Do they strip off all the existing paint first. Is this extra or included in the preparation of the item to be coated?

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Powder coating is very durable and probably the top line option.

They do have DIY powder coating systems, but the results will probably be less than having done professionally.

If you are a DIY'er look into POR15 coatings and paints. I have used them on many cars over the years and have had really good and lasting results with the line of products. It'snot quite powder coating, but a really good option for the DIY'er if you wanted to go that route

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    #9 DavidJ, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well done David, especially the valve covers!
    Cheers,
    Greg

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    #11 DavidJ, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    David, in fine company I see, is that a Z8 in the car park?
    Your engine looks stunning. I really like the textured finish, it really freshens up the appearance.

Do you know if there is any issue with overspray getting onto the sealing faces underneath? Presumably once the old paint is stripped off and they are thoroughly cleaned, they get masked up?

Do you know if the Ferrari logos on the valve covers are lightly sanded to expose the silver aluminium underneath?

Im going to make some enquiries.

Many thanks for posting the pictures!!

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes that was a Z8. There are a couple in the group that meets in north NJ.
    The intake penium, intake runners, throttle bodies and the valve covers were removed from the engine, stripped, cleaned and sent out to the powder coat expert.
    I believe the logo and the stripe are shaved off after powder coating and the whole thing is clear coated to prevent corrosion, but I'm no expert in these things. I'm sure the mating surfaces have the powder coat removed for the new gaskets and good sealing.
    Wrinkle finish is similar to the original on this car. The only difference is the grey color of the intake. They got the closest they could, it's a bit lighter than the original. I can live with that. This is not a concourse show car, it's a really good driver. I aim to make it the best I can afford to make it, then drive it like I stole it.
    Next year is some paint work and new carpets.
    Then I'm done for a few years, unless something happens. Until the next engine out, of course.

DavidJ

14. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    My Mondial works for a living too. Sure take care of it but I didn't buy it to stare at it!
    Thanks David!