Moving to Singapore | FerrariChat

Moving to Singapore

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Burch1, Jul 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #1 Burch1, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys,
    It looks like the Mondi will only get driven the month of July when we are back in the states :-( for the summer but I will try to get my fix by reading your posts :).
    Battery Tender and Sta-bil are the words of the day for me.
    Btw, if you want some real sticker shock how about a 458 for $1,160,000?
    Or even a lowly Honda Civic for $126,999?!
    Crazy car prices in SG!
    Cheers,
    Greg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Greg
    Ive been to Singapore twice recently. Lovely place for sure. Safe travels.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lovely place Greg, safe travels!
    Would love to see pics of their cars and coffee meets when you settle.

Cheers,
    Mike

4. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll be the guy in the Honda Civic in the pictures ;-)
    Cheers,
    Greg

5. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #5 LouB747, Aug 2, 2014
    I travel to Singapore once a month. I only stay for 24 hrs. It's one of my favorite Asian cities. Don't chew gum, and watch out for snakes! Actually, I'm joking about the snakes. Reptiles and snakes are a hobby of mine. The ones pictured here I found in Singapore. But you really have to go looking for them.

The first, a 12 to 14 ft reticulated python. The longest species of snake in the world. The second, an oriental whipsnake. Harmlesss. The last, the blue coral snake, otherwise known as the 100 step snake. Deadly. Don't bother them, they won't bother you. I guess if you get bit, don't walk more than 99 steps!

Also, the king cobra lives there. The longest venomous snake in the world. I haven't been lucky enough to find one yet.

Video of a blue coral snake I found. If this video looks familiar, I sold it to Discovery Channel and it's shown on a show, "Naked and Afraid."

Have fun!

Lou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJd9abzrPVw

6. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I admire your decision to keep your Mondial T; most people would sell in your situation.

Wishing you and your family all the best in Singapore.

Jonathan

7. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This thread has taken an interesting turn for sure Lou! (snakes are not my favorite).
    Yes, you can't buy gum there (but can chew it actually) and don't J-walk or even consider drugs or guns unless you fancy an execution.
    Thanks,
    Greg

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    And if you have teenagers, they cane-whip as punishment for stupid teen tricks!

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Greg,

To you and the family - - enjoy a stunningly beautiful city in the best of health and happiness.

Cheers,

Hank

10. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Toto, were not in Carmel anymore!

Good Luck Greg!

11. mondialtw

mondialtw Rookie

Nov 8, 2013
    BKLYN/NY & Asia
    Have fun - and yes, the car thing is a nightmare in SG, by design. There's a very bizarre economy at play down there so cars cost many times more than they are worth anywhere else in the world. I lived there for 3 years 2002-2004, right before the boom years when anyone who owned a slice of property become a millionaire. Come visit Johor when you have time - much more fun right up over the border!

12. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    that's without the COE ... or Certificate Of Entitlement ...

It's a piece of paper that's auctioned every month for the right to buy a car and valid for 10 years ... a govt tool to control car population on the roads ...

Current COE is a touch over SGD 68,000 ...

ONE.MOTORING - COE Details

:)

That said, join the FOCS once you get your car ... the club's quite active socially and in driving events ...

13. MaxPower

MaxPower Two Time F1 World Champ

Mar 28, 2006
    At sea ... aahhh ...
    Full Name:
    MP
    yup yup ...

i see a snake at least once a month on my property ... cobras, vipers, pythons ...

but all good ... you leave them alone and they do the same ...

14. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    VIPERS

Very good pic of vipers. We have Eastern Rattlesnakes but have never seen one. Visited SG once on RR out of Vietnam back [way back] in the day. I got rained in and was about one week late getting back. But then nobody seemed to have noticed I was gone in the first place.

But I very much liked the tropical ambiance. Bought some Tiger Balm. I very much remember the popular song by Chrystal Gail: "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue."

15. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    PS: Max on boats

Took my pontoon boat out today to re-explore my 175 mile mountain lake coastline up close and personal. Bumbled over a few small rocks at 5mph and put the prop out of balance.

I HATE it when that happens. Am determined to acquire another military lower unit for 55 hp that is a ducted fan. I don't give a hoot about four stoke 90 hp Suzukis anymore. I have a spare ducted fan lower unit for a 30 hp Johnson and if that what I have to do that is what I will do.

I like to explore the boon docks. Speed? Some like it but I went farther slower then anyone on the lake. Probably 900 miles a decade ago at 5mph. I ran that old pontoon boat off the chart, up a creek under the forest foliage, and into a cow pasture. People stopped on the road to stare. Just enough width to turn around and retreat.

I miss that. Of course I miss the distant past five years on the Chesapeake. All of it on displacement hull power or sail. Tangier Island and blue Crabs. But water is water. More power to a power man!

16. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I moved to Singapore 1.5 years ago and I also left my Ferrari at home in storage. You will absolutely love living here. From a downside perspective, however, the max speed limit in Singapore is 90 kph, roughly 54 mph, so what's the point. You see Ferraris and Lambos everyday being driven at the speed limit, it's sad to see, sort of like seeing a cheetah in a cage at the zoo. There isn't enough room for the car to get out there and stretch it's legs. Haven't seen any snakes though!

17. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #17 Burch1, Aug 22, 2014
    We have been here 2 weeks now and I am amazed at the number of Fcars we have seen.
    For an island of 5M people there is a unproportional amount of Ferrari's, most popular by far is the 458 followed by the 430... no Mondi's spotted yet :-(
    Cheers,
    Greg

18. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Nice pic. I'm leaving Tokyo for Singapore in a few hours. 2 days on the island. I haven't seen a Ferrari yet, although we stay out on the east side of the island where the airport is. How do you like it?

19. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    We are in the Bukit Timah area centrally located but my office is on the east side on Kaki Bukit.
    Things are good here, clean, organized, warm (the weather never changes) and everyone is polite even signaling when they change lanes!
    Cheers,
    Greg

20. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Yes, 458s, Maserati and Lambos are what I see most. All of the trees and building nicely contain the distinctive exhaust notes from these cars!

Glad to hear that you are enjoying everything so far.