Mondial8 running rich & fluctuating tach | FerrariChat

Mondial8 running rich & fluctuating tach

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fortunato, Aug 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hello everyone, I need some help. My Mondial 8 (1981) is running rich and backfires every time I turn it off. I've checked all the vacuum hoses and tried adjusting the idle screw (didn't think it would help). I have changed the crank sensor (it was damaged not sure how) since on this thread that is what I found when your tach fluctuates. But the tach keeps fluctuating on revving; constant throttle position tach stays stable though.

Any ideas??? Please.

2. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I can think of a few things that could cause this, but one (which is easy to test) would be the operation of the cold-start injector. It should only be allowing fuel to flow during cold starts, but either an electrical fault (e.g. thermo-time switch) or a mechanical fault (injector stuck open) could be an issue. I have to dash off and I can't describe the procedure right now, but there should be info on testing this on F-chat or perhaps a German car forum.

I would steer clear of any adjustments and just test components in isolation at this point. A set of pressure gauges for Bosch CIS is extremely helpful, and pretty much required, for most fuel system work. Also get a copy of Probst's book on Bosch fuel injection... will pay for itself the first time you use it.

Not sure about the tach fluctuation on revving. Is the problem constrained to the tach indication, or can you sense the actual RPM fluctuating? If its the former, it may not be related to the over-rich situation... if the latter, then maybe you're getting periodic partial or no combustion on some cylinder(s) due to the rich mixture during acceleration.

The backfire on shutdown is consistent with unburnt fuel from an over-rich mixture passing into the exhaust where it is subsequently ignited.

Also, this could be ignition related. Might be good to check for consistent spark on each plug, etc.

3. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Just for completeness: Are there other symptoms of rich running? How does the engine run and drive?

More thoughts:

Losing ign. on one bank would allow loads of fuel into the exhaust system.
    Does it have an air pump... excess air into exhaust? Exhaust system tight?
    Exhaust valve clearance or (gasp) seat erosion/damage?

I would try to confirm rich running with an exhaust gas analyser, notwithstanding any other obvious symptoms.

4. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Ok, thanks for all the advice. A lot of things to check so one at a time I will. Just a few more pieces of information. The engine runs fine once out of idle i.e. while driving. No there are no air pumps, previous owner removed them. Exhaust system seems tight, I see no leaks. I will run a exhaust gas analyzer and post results this coming week to confirm running rich. When I start up the engine from cold, it doesn't rev to 1500-1800 Rpm for a few minutes until warm, this may be the problem? I have lots of time, so I would appreciate it if you could confirm the procedure. Thanks very much for your time.

5. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Alright I disconnected the cold start injector and unbelievable the engine runs much smoother. I saw a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9G7CVGnZdE&feature=youtu.be) where he disconnects the CSI and he has heard that a lot of people do that. Next to tackle is why my tach keeps fluctuating, I will retest the new crank shaft sensor I put in. As well no more back firing on shut down!!!
    After that I am going to test the exhaust gases.

6. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    Let me know what you find out about the Tach fluctuations. I have the exact same problem with my QV. Disconnected the CSI injector as well, some improvement. Did the test for the vacuum valve under the coolant tank and my valve did not close at all. Went to full warm-up and still pulling strong vacuum. Taped both ends up and it made a world of difference in the idle, and strong rich smell at idle seemed to go away, and no POP when turning car off.
    Can any one tell me what effect this vacuum valve might have on the running of the car when it will not close? To rich perhaps being it is constantly drawing vacuum/air from the intake pipe?

Thanks!
    Mark

7. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Well I am back again. Turns out that the disconnection of the cold start injector didn't make a huge difference. I am kind of embarrassed to say but I found out that 4 out of the eight cylinders are not firing. The spark plugs are completely new and unused! Found the injectors are spraying. Then found two of the wires are at around 1kohm and the other 6 are in the Mohms...... WTF, these wires are only 2 years old and about 2,000 miles. I bought them aftermarket. So I may have to go to Ferrari to buy OEM's. Any suggestions, anyone???? Thank you.

8. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well, at least you know it is spark and not fuel.

Try swapping ignition modules to see if the problem switches sides. If it does, you have the answer.

I would think it unlikely the wires on one side are all bad at the same time.
    Regards,
    Jerry

9. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Ok, after checking the following, I still have the front bank not firing:
    1. swapped the digiplex units, no change
    2. measured all crankshaft sensors and tach sensor all good
    3. measured all wire/extenders and all good
    4. swapped the coils and no difference
    5. cleaned the rotors and caps and no difference

PLEASE, anyone any ideas?
    thanks

10. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    There is a wire from each coil to each digiplex, check the continuity. That wire fires the coil for each bank.

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I assume that the rear bank was still firing when switching the digiplex units. If so, that's checked.

There is a red and yellow wire going into in each coil. Check if either of the two (cannot remember which one) has 12volt on it with the ignition on (don't start). If the affected side has not it means it doesn't get voltage. Make sure the black connectors on top are not wet or oxidated.

If this still turns out to be ok, swap spark wires from front to rear. Measuring wires only means that they have a connection, but still could have a severe crack. I guess I would begin with the one from the coil to the distributor, since all four are not firing.

12. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    thank you, will check out and get back to you guys, appreciate your help.

13. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    If you swapped the digiplex and had no change then one constant is the trigger wire from the digiplex to the coil, check the continuity as that wire fires the coil. The other constant is the voltage supply wire to the digiplex. Check the input voltage to both digiplex plugs.

14. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Thanks, I will check asap.

15. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    One other constant is the wires from the flywheel sensor to the digiplex. Might want to check the continuity there also. The two ends are at the digiplex connector and the connector by the sensor. Not sure what reading across the two wires you should get but the two sensors should read the same. The wires themselves from the connector to the digiplex should be solid wire on all four wires.

My thoughts are if the coil does not fire and you swapped all other items then some connection for the one digiplex unit is bad somewhere.

16. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Thanks again, I will check on the weekend. One very strange thing is that sparks are getting to the plugs but cylinders on the whole bank do not combust.

17. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    #17 waymar, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    Ok that's a different symptom. I was thinking you had no spark. If the spark is the same on both banks, check that 1st by testing a spark plug on each side while cranking with the fuel shut off. I shut the fuel off by removing the two relays (I have 2v 308i). The tach is driven off of only one digiplex. Not sure if it is the same as the bank you having troubles on.

18. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Finally had time to work on the car. It seems that during idle the front bank doesn't work but once I rev it, it turns to life and the front bank works. I have been all the diagnosis during idle. Not sure why this happens, but I can live with it.

19. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    There are three trigger sensors around the ring of the flywheel. One for each bank, and one for the tach. They sensors are small coils which are triggered by the passing of a node on the flywheel, and determine the firing times, and the tach pulse seen on the instrument.

I would venture that you have a problem with one or more of those ignition or tach signals. They fail by heat opening the windings on the coil. They are swappable if you want to move them around to test.

The actual ignition wires should have little/no resistance. The plug extenders should be about 1k ohm as ballast. If you measure from the inside of the cap, to the end of the plug extender, you'll get about 1.1k ohms. If you get more than 1.2k ohm, investigate the wire or the extender.

20. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Just to confirm.
    Are you saying that the faulty bank has no spark at idle but kicks in at higher RPM?

21. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Thank you for the advice.
    Yes, it seems that at idle there seems to be no ignition on the front bank, but at higher RPM's the bank is on. Not sure why. I will be swapping the sensor from back to front and vice versa. I did replace the tach sensor since it failed, but the other two are reading around 650 ohms. The readings on the wires/extenders from cap are good.

22. Fortunato

Fortunato Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Markham
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Bell Bloke: Yes, at idle the front bank seems to not run, but a higher RPM it comes to life.

docmirror: Switching the sensors I haven't done yet, but planning to, I think this would be a good exercise. Also the measurements on the wires/extenders from the cap seem all good. Wires were replaced only 1,000 miles ago.

Thank you again for your responses.