Front Alignment | FerrariChat

Front Alignment

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The left front tire is wearing on the outside edge, but not the right front tire.

I am looking for front specifications, and whether camber can be adjusted without changing the other settings, and where are the adjustment bolts? Is this something any good alignment shop can do.

My local mechanic is an experienced wrench and even did my clutch. If I get the specs and know where the adjustments are located I am confident he can do the job.

Thanks much for any help.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Isn't this all in the owners manual - did you look ? if not try the workshop manual

If you have neither download from All Ferraris

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Sounds like toe adjustment. If it was camber you would notice the outward top angle of the tire. I use a bubble level for camber and two tapes with 1" angle about 18" long for toe. Place the angles on 2pcs 2x4 for some height draw the tapes side to side one on front of tire one on rear of tire. Old school but accurate. For the 4 wheel center toe draw a string from the back of the rear tire to the front of the front tire will show you from left to right side which has center toe or not. Again old school but accurate.

4. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    go to decent tyre center.
    They can verify the alignment and adjust when necessary.
    They can also inform you on the wear and tear of the rubber parts on your car.

And the best part, they do it for cheap (here in Belgium 70€ )

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    My mechanic tells me the car is in spec. And the wear is not all that excessive and I can simply live with it. The tires have 6,500 miles on them and are about half worn down. Its not the first time I have worn out tires in less then 15,000 miles.

Believe me. Its worth it.

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I'm going to go with my gut instinct. You turn right at speed more than left. If both front and back are doing this you're drifting, if only the front, that's ok too, these cars do tend to understeer at the limit unless you drift.

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #7 Rapalyea, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    PV

I do tend to drive much faster through right corners because I have an entire whole lane of free space open to test limits. However, I do not recall this same thing on any of my other cars.

This particular specimen starts a brisk corner with some push but at the very limit it is absolutely neutral. Very forgiving in that regard. About a year ago I was passing a slow lady at about 50mph and she turned left RIGHT in front of me. I just cranked hard left and the car made a 90 degreen turn in about one second. If the car had any push or any tail out I would have side swiped her.

Thats about one G which is about right. I figured I missed her by two inches side by side. Thats probably less then 100 milliseconds by my clock. [I can start and stop a stop watch in 150.]