My new pride and joy | FerrariChat

My new pride and joy

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mondi88, Aug 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 Mondi88, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Having owned a 328 some years ago (which had to go due to the arrival of my now 5 and 2 year old children), I managed to convince my wife that I once again deserved my dream since I was a child of Ferrari ownership. And here’s where I might initially get boo’d by you guys, but please keep reading! Whilst searching for another 328, here in the UK, prices were literally jumping £5k a month, if not more. Concluding that owning a 328 was now way outside of my budget, I started with earnest investigating the Mondial. Anonymously hovering around this forum, you all managed to convince me that this wasn’t as unwise as some motoring press rumours would have the uninitiated believe and I tentatively travelled to see an 88 3.2 convertible in rosso with crema (sorry, but I had to have the colour combo from the child dream).

As soon as I saw it in the flesh, I fell in love. Photos of Mondials just do not do them justice – what a magnificent looking car. As soon as I smelt it, I knew I had to own it! So, much quicker than my wife expected, she was mine (sorry, ours!). My love of the Mondial (particularly with the hood down) was echoed by all my friends and family with a unanimous “oh that’s much nicer than your old one” on seeing her. Extraordinary when you think an equivalent 328 is now roughly three times the value of the Mondial.

To me, and contrary to those rumours, the Mondial is absolutely a Ferrari through and through. From memory, I don’t even find the performance that dissimilar to my old 328 – I’m sure the published 0-60 time is inaccurate or not a particularly flattering statistic to truly measure the performance. Through the gears it roars and howls exactly as my ownership dream asked, pulls like a train, cruises with ease, is simply a joy to drive and brings a concoction of spine tingling sensations that only a Ferrari could.

The car came fitted with 18in wheels (the standard wheels, albeit without the TRX tyres, were included) which at first I was hesitant about in that it removed the original authenticity of the car. But I’ve grown from accepting them to liking them and feel it improves the stance of the car. I’ve managed to fold the hood down and get the boot cover on, up to and including the engine cover Tenax clips. I’m wondering if that gets me honorary membership of this forum for a first timer hood operator? I think the boot cover has shrunk a little after 26 years and I’m ploughing through all the threads related to replacements. Availability for items like this seems far easier in the US than UK.

So my advice to anyone hovering around this forum debating the purchase of a Mondial - go and see one, smell it, drive it and then see if you can actually bring yourself to NOT buy one!

One pleased as punch new owner. Do I own a Mondial when I really wanted a 328 – heck no! The best thing that happened to me was 328 prices going through my convertible roof!

Thanks for unknowingly getting me here folks and thanks in advance to the questions I will no doubt throw at you over time. Here’s a couple of pics (not the greatest ones but worthy I hope of sharing).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Congratulations, it's a wonderful car!

Personally, I bought my Mondial in 2005 and sold it in 2010 ... to buy it again in 2013 because I missed it too much LOL.

It's a love/hate relationship, she will give you headaches, but you will love her soooo much :)

3. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Great synopsis - wonderfull car!
    Enjoy her to the max!

I had the same issues: wanted a GT4 308 DINO, but prices rose steeper than the bank account, so ended up with something much neather: a Mondi.

Wishing you miles of smiles!

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I agree completely with your post. It's also interesting that you mention smell. I love the smell of my car.

Ps.... Many of us need new boot covers. Somone shold do a group buy on these.
    Maybe Hank has the contacts to do such a thing?

- Ron

5. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for the replies folks.
    Ron - it is a truly distinctive and addictive smell. I'm thinking if I mixed oil with leather, I could maybe market a Mondial aftershave?
    I would definitely be in on any group buy for the boot cover. Mine is compromised around the engine cover Tenax and my local leather speciailist was honest enough to say any sticthing repair would simply make it worse. There seem to be wildy differing prices for these, anything from $450 to $1200.
    Whilst we're talking parts which suffer on these cars, I was reading up on the B pillar replacement posts from some time ago but couldn't work out where the story ended - was the conclusion that this part was too difficult/costly to recreate? My drivers side has a break where it has been damaged/repaired. I can live with it, but given i intend on keeping this longer than the children, it would be comforting to know something is availble if this deteriorates.

6. RoPo54

RoPo54 Karting

Dec 18, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    For the boot cover shrinkage, quick fix: sew a small strip of elastic to it and move the tenax fasteners to the elastic and it will make your life much easier.

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Welcome back. When I bought my 3.2 coupe 12 1/2 yrs ago, I had kids age 5 1/2 & 11, so I needed a 2+2 vehicle. Now, I enjoy the extra room for traveling, etc.
    Great looking car!

8. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Congratulations on the purchase. I'm a 5 year owner now. Everyone who gets a ride comments on what a comfortable highway car it is. They are great cars in many ways and the extra inches in the wheelbase adds to that comfortable ride. I drove mine across the United States a few years back and it was a wonderful experience. The back seat that folks into a package tray makes the car so usable. For travels I will fold it down and store extra luggage back there. This is the longest I've gone with any "fun" car. There is no other car that I can find in this price range that comes close to what this car delivers. Again congratulations on the purchase of a truly wonderful automobile.

9. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Congrats. Beautiful car.

Wheels are nice - gives the car a fresh look. Part of the fun of owning a Mondial is personalizing it; don't worry about keeping it original.

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Looks great! What size/make wheels are those?

11. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #11 Mondi88, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Hi Dave M - the wheels are 18 inch with a tyre profile to closely match the original rolling diameter. I'm afraid to say I'm not sure who makes the wheels (and am away from the car at the moment) but will check the inside of the rims to see if it has the make and/or check with the previous owner if you'd like me to.
    My posts are being delayed before they appear on here (for moderator approval?). Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or that's how this works, but apologies if I'm out of sync on replying.
    Two things to learn now - the car and the forum.

Edit - and now this one posts straight away! (but an earlier reply to Ron still hasn't posted yet). I'm sure I'll work this all out, it can't be as complex as the roof.

12. MichelH

MichelH Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Congratulations, it's a very wonderful car!

Can you give us everything witch is marked on the tyre, I'll also change my wheels for actual type.

I can't find actualy wheels for my 3.0L 1984, so if anyone have idea for how to change TRX tyres-wheels in mm with actual size in " , I'll be happy to have this information

Thanks in advance

13. MichelH

MichelH Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Congratulations, it's a very wonderful car!

Can you give us what's write on your tyre to know the exact type
    Your wheels are pretty, and gives the car an actual look!

I have a 3.0L from 1984, I always have original wheels with the TRX tyres in mm, and I hope change it by actual wheels, and tyre in " : if someone can help me to find a good idea of wheels for my car, I'll be happy...

thanks in advance

14. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 Mondi88, Aug 12, 2014
    Hi Michel
    The tyre size is 255/40 rear, 215/45 front. The salesman assured me they were near identical on diameter to the original TRX set up, but haven't personally made that calculation myself (although the speedo seemed very accurate when travelling with a motorway full of other cars subject to a 50mph time and distance speed camera recently). The wheels are "DVR Split Rim Alloys" - they seem to be a Belgium manufacturer but looking at their website, I can't see my exact alloy in their 2014 range.

There are plenty of threads on here about replacement wheels. I know many owners have put 348 wheels onto them which also look great. If you search on "Mondial wheels" I'm sure there's lot of information from folk more technical than me.

Here's a few more pictures of my car (from the original sales advert). The look from the rear is particularly more aggressive with what I think is a significantly wider track than the original set up.

15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #15 ScottS, Aug 12, 2014
    welcome to the club.

I also like your wheels, Very nice machined look and good stance. We could be brothers.....

Here is my wheel- similar but I believe speedline- although there are no marks as well.

What size are they?

Scotts

16. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    About 7 years ago when I was looking for some new alloys these guys

Performance Wheel Supplies Limited - Alloy Wheels, Speedline, Tramont, Azev, Artec, Mille Miglia, OZ, BBS, RH, EtaBeta and Mas

offered me these exact wheels in 18in size.

Maybe they still do them.

I went for 18in speedlines instead, they looked great just like these wheel but they made the ride so hard and did nothing for the handling, I went back to the original 16 inch alloys with Toyo R888 tyres, the ride is so much better and the grip with the medium compound is great, rubbish in the wet though as they are basically cut slicks.

This car does look the nuts though with these alloys, lovely car.

17. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Without having driven the car with the original alloys, I can't compare the ride quality but it feels fine on all but the worst of the UK roads. My 75 year old father commented on how comfortable it was and he's understandably pretty picky on being comfy in a car these days.

Scotts - they're 18 inch (and given you also seem to own a F430, you're very welcome to be my brother :) )

I initially considered non-standard wheels on a 26 year old Ferrari sacrilege, but all your supportive comments have happily convinced me otherwise!

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Do the Toyo 888's kick up a lot of road debris?
    Have an old set that would fit my Mondial in 17" size. Just afraid of a very sticky tire rashing up the paintwork.

19. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Hi davem

I haven't got any damage from the 888's I can see but then again my 3.2 is not my daily driver, maybe more miles might have some effect.

20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Thanks, found them them to be pretty good wet tires on track with high pressures and not shaved. Cheers!

21. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Your wheels look great!

I too have an 88 and have 17in Etoile aftermarket wheels.

When I bought it it had 255 rear and 245 front ,

The 255 rear is a real aggressive look.

Happy motoring!

22. MichelH

MichelH Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Mondi88
    Thanks a lot for your informations and pictures, I'll search now for new wheels.
    Michel

23. ScottCDallas

ScottCDallas Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott Clinton
    I have been debating on a new Maserati or and older Ferrari 3.2 Mondial.

After reading all of these comments I must have a Mondial now!

Thanks for all the post!

Scott

24. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S

I agree- I thought sacrilege but very tasteful indeed. Glad to hear the wheels/tires pass the Father test. My father had 16s on his Mondial, so I think he would be okay.

Yes, the "t" has a big brother in the garage and I love them both. Most weekends there is a lot of switching depending on the weather and how many kids are interested in where I am going and what I am doing,

While I love the t, your Mondi is so classic and arguably much prettier with the full vents, angles and lines. And the picture at Mranello is to die for.

Cheers,

ScottS

25. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Switching between a F430 and a Mondial sounds a bit like my idea of heaven.
    I hired a 360 for a weekend 8 years ago as part of my pre-wedding “things to do before becoming a family man”. Found it over-whelming and my senses just couldn’t keep up! You must not need to take the kids to Disney for thrill rides!

Thanks for your and everyone else’s contribution and comments to my first post. Glad I shared and much appreciated guys.