Thinking of Selling | FerrariChat

Thinking of Selling

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stevenwk, Aug 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Guys,

Thinking of selling my 83' Quattro, 11,300 miles original miles, original argento paint, original red interior. Factory sun roof, original leather key fob, books w/pouch, tools, etc. Car is virtually perfect. Probably the nicest original example on the planet of an 83'.

I just don't have time to drive the car anymore, putting roughly 200-300 miles per year over the past 5 years and looking to get into a V12 car.

I've owned the car since 1994, purchased from the original owner.

Just looking for a ballpark value - - Thanks!!!

(I'll post some pics later in the week.)

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    With an example like yours maybe one of the auction houses might bring in a higher number.

3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Wade,

I was kinda thinking the same, but really do not know what the market is, give or take $5000
    +/- on an my car.

I sold a series III etype overseas last year and was amazed at what they are paying in the UK as opposed to here; more than double. It was a lot of work, but lucrative.

May consider doing the same, but if the numbers are strong here, I'd rather sell it domestically.

Thanks.

4. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    The E-type market is an entirely different one from the Mondial, unfortunately!

You are probably in the $30K +/- $5K range if the car is near perfect..IMHO

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Steven, I'm with Bill, word for word. To add, the E-type market is rocketing skyward while Mondials are still relatively flat. However, I think that the demand for prime examples of the Mondial have been stronger lately.

Wishing you $30k at least!

6. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks guys.

Yes, totally agree. Etype market totally different.

Mondials in Australia seem to bring strong money, same in UK, but importation I believe is tricky with the Mondial.

Cauley Ferrari has looked after the car for years, yet I'm going to have Terry Myr in Port Huron, a noted F car tuner, give it the once over before the fall.

If someone is looking for an all original example (dare I say time capsule?) this is the car for them.

Some detailing required, but looks identical as it day it rolled off the line.

Thanks.

7. WilD

WilD Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It sounds like you are somewhat local to me. I'd love to see some photos. :)

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    O/T

Port Huron you say... what's it like up there? I need a place to retire up north in about ten years. Has to be near the water but New England is too expensive. Family is east so west is out.

9. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Port Huron is probably not what you'd be looking for, Wade. There are some nice spots, but I would not consider it a place to retire.

However, farther up into the tip of the thumb area is Port Austin, which many retirees flock too. It's a very quiet place, very pretty all 4 seasons.

10. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Should have some pics by Sat/Sun.

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hello Steven

My '83 QV was argento/red too. It ended up red/black... I am bringing it slowly back to original.
    I am very interested in your pictures, especially because your car is not repainted. I am looking for the OEM color breakdown on some areas of the body work where they used black over the body color to enhance the visual cleanliness. Where do these areas start and end:
    - rear trunk gutter
    - engine bay gutter
    - front trunk gutter (?)
    - door window frames front/rear joint to door panels
    - upper bumper cut lines on the side/rear it seems the body is painted black between the bumper and the wing
    - underside of front/rear trunk and engine bay lid

If you could provide some detail shots with open openings so I can see the above areas that would be great. I also look forward to your interior pictures.

Thanks for your help!
    Greetings from HK
    Urs

12. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Urs,
    Not a problem. I will take some additional photos of the views you have requested. Those body panels are sprayed black, but it is a textured type of black spray paint. (could it be to keep rust away?)

Also, my car still has the protective tape over the mirror by accelerator pedal and also wears TRX metric tires. The original spare tire has never been out of the car and I will provide 2 additional tires as well should I decide to sell. These are not re-treads but actual original Michelin metric tires with stickers still on them. Almost impossible to find anymore.

Steve

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Sounds like a fantastic car. But, to be honest, I think the estimates provided earlier are way optimistic. (For your sake, I hope I'm wrong.) Didn't a low mileage, excellent condition Mondial T coupe just sell for about $25,000? My guess for your car, nice as it is, would be $19,000 - $23,000. BTW, with 328 prices rising, it seems to me you might want to wait up to 1 year to sell. The vacuum absolutely HAS TO pull our cars up at least a little.
    Good luck w/ it.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not sure what t Coupe you're referring to but one like you describe sold for around $40k last year. In this case, very appropriate, IMHO

15. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My car is for a collector who wishes an all original, extremely low mileage

example that has only traded hands one time in 32 years. A car is only original once; any car can be restored, but cannot be made original again.

There are guys out there that will pay a premium for this, but I'm keenly aware that it is a model which has never commanded huge money.

My initial post was to get a ballpark number within $5,000.

Thanks for the opinions.

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #16 afterburner, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Steve

Thanks! Your car looks like a very nice example. Too bad you are too far away to come and have a look! I have chassis #46781, built in spring '83.

I don't think so since it was surely applied over the paint, which already fulfils that purpose.
    I am sure it is a visual trick to enhance the bodywork. On light coloured cars, depending on the lighting situation, you get a lot of reflections out of the shut lines. Especially on those '80s numbers with huge gaps to the bodywork so they can move upon impact - at least in theory.

I'd love to have a photo of that sticker and its dimension if you don't mind. I would like to re-create it in Illustrator print one for my TRX spare. Which looks stone age but has been used.

Any other stickers that might be interest to the Mondial world? Delivery cautions and warnings etc.

Do you have the original 1st aid kit?

Cheers and thanks
    Urs

PS: a car spotter caught me, very nice pic!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Urs,

Thanks.

Your car looks beautiful in red, for sure.

You'll find a few photos to follow this post. I will not be able to get photos of my car until perhaps Sunday as it is in storage about 5 miles from my home.

The black paint of which I'm referring is on the underside of the bonnet and the trunk lid cover. It is textured black paint; NOT smooth. I do not remember if the engine lid is painted with the textured black paint as it has 3 pieces of insulation.

In any event, by first aid kit, do you mean the tool roll and jack roll? Yes, it has never been used. Also, there is an emergency light and fuse kit in a green plastic case.

You may find the photo of the heating and cooling system interesting. It has a hole at the top corner which I believe was affixed to the fan control from the factory. I don't know if other Mondial owners have this card, but may not have it with your car.

Best,
    Steve

18. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
  19. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
  20. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #20 stevenwk, Aug 7, 2014
  21. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #21 stevenwk, Aug 7, 2014
  22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #22 afterburner, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Hi Steve thanks for the pics. No rush at all, whenever you have time.
    Indeed interesting, the a/c instructions. What is the size of that card?
    Could you try to get the complete tire stickers in focus and the dimensions?
    That would be great!

23. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #23 stevenwk, Aug 8, 2014
  24. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007