Any Mondial owners going to Monterey 2014? | FerrariChat

Any Mondial owners going to Monterey 2014?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TheMac, Aug 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Any Mondial owners planning to attend Pebble Beach week 2014? I went in 2012 and drove the Mondial down. I won't have the Mondial this year; I'm flying in and driving a rental car for the week.

Next year is supposed to be a Ferrari year, so at the moment, I'm planning on driving the Mondial down again for Monterey 2015.

2. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Well? How was it?

3. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    It was good but not as good as some previous years. Pebble had some spectacular cars. Concorso Italiano was disappointing; it was a Maserati year, but Maserati was not very well represented with the older models. When I say "disappointing," it was still a nice collection of Italian cars to gawk at and a beautiful day for it. I am definitely disappointed that they switched Concorso from a Friday event to a Saturday event. Saturday was always the best day to go to Laguna Seca for the historic races. A remarkable and significant Ferrari 375MM won best of show at Pebble; I loved the car but was among the many who would not have picked it for best of show. Strangely, I was not invited to the judges' briefing in the morning, so my vote didn't count!

There has been a definite shift in the focus of some of the attendees. 20 years ago, I would go to Pebble Beach and people would ask me afterwards, "what won best of show?" or, "what were the class winners like?" Now, it seems like the first question most people ask is, "what was the highest price at the auctions?" or, "how much did that GTO go for?" While I think the auctions are interesting, I think the quality of the cars should come first and the money should come second. I am probably laughed at for holding this perspective.

Next year Ferrari is the featured marque, and the FCA is organizing its national meet in conjunction with the events. I plan to drive the Mondial back down next year for that, anybody else?

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I always ask... how was the traffic jam this year?

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Or how much was parking?

6. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Traffic jam was a big thing coming out of events, but I never had any difficulty getting in. Track on Friday was no problem getting in. Concorso on Saturday ditto. Pebble Beach actually has the best parking set up with the Coast locations and the shuttles. Once parked, it took about 20 minutes to get to the lodge. Leaving the track traffic wasn't bad. Saturday and Sunday traffic getting out was an exercise in patience.

Parking was free for the events... although the admission prices for the tickets make it difficult for me to describe anything there as "free."

7. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    On the way to Mission Inn Happy Hr, there was a great jam on Rio Rd to Hwy 1 after Quail let out - wonderful impromptu show and spoke w/ many owners/drivers of all types…all that was missing was my folding chair & some libation. Due to schedules, only attended Concorso but enjoyed it immensely.

8. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Our family vacation/college visits this year found us in Carmel the week before Classic Car Week. While there, we familiarized ourselves with Carmel, Pebble, and surrounds and made plans to drive the Mondial (83 Cab/Grigio) there next year. Dave Helms has it now for a thirty-year refurbishment! You can see some of Dave's work at his Vimeo site under Scuderia Rampante. Very methodical, step-by-step, documented and photographed work. Videos too, as necessary. We will see you in Monterey