My New Ride | FerrariChat

My New Ride

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Rapalyea, Aug 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #1 Rapalyea, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This will be my second one and it is in much better shape. I got rid of the last one after 190,000 miles and loved the hell out of it. But it was no way near stock. Probably do the same mods on this one.

All the normal suspension mods make it into a mountain burner. And will top off the 5.0 engine with a possitive displacement supercharger at 8ps. The old one would do 130mph dead steady and quiet at 3,000 rpm [two seventy three rear geats.] And even with those gears I could smoke the tires at the drags. So I had a low stall speed truck torgue converter installed.

Just floor it and dissapear with no wheel spin, no exhaust noise, no drama. The very deffinition of a sleeper. About ten years ago I ran down a C5 Corvette going up blood mountain. I'd let him get ahead then catch up in the corners. He finally moved over to let me pass. That was a good day.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I had one of those and loved it. My ex-wife wrecked it after 9 months :-(

3. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    DAmn! A woman is just a woman but a good car is a drive!

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #4 Rapalyea, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Some of the things that made it special was the conservative but well executed real crome and stanless steel. The wheel well moldings are stainless as is the 'B' pillar. Even the key lock felt like something substantial. The interior leatherwork was unduplicatable.

One problem is some people who buy Lincolns seem to have developed their esthetic tase in New Orleans Whore houses. So the elegent and restrained interiors are at a premium. And it got 26 mpg at 60mph until I installed Bosch wide response O2 sensors. The narow range Ford units cost $250 each and required two. The mileage dropped to 21 mpg but it kept that no matter how fast I drove.

5. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #5 Rapalyea, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thanks for the front view. It sounds like everyone else only gets to see the rear view!!!

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    GS - Yeah, all they ever see are my bright tail lights. And with 500 ft lbs of torgue it is like, Oh Ho Hum. I like the thrill of the Mndial 7,000 rpm hp peak and the sound! But you feel like God with 500 ft lbs of torgue and dead silence.

8. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #8 Rapalyea, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    PS: My nephew had me test drive a BMW twelve cylindar [as I recall it was twelve cylindar5 liter or something] he was thinking of buying. What a boat. That is the normal complaint about Detroit Iron! My old supercharged and suspension preped Mark VII was tight, fast, and made that BMW feel like a sodden log.

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Interesting thread, but why the devil is it in this section?

10. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    +++

11. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I put it in this section just for the hell of it. True, technically it does not belong here. But we are not exactly swamped with two dozen new threads per day and this is an interesting performance vehicle.

Personally, I would not mind a bit of gossip on members other vehicles [and its not like other members do not mention their other vehicles when posting on Mondials]. However, I have two questions on the matter so won't do it again:).