New car picked up today | FerrariChat

New car picked up today

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Nathan76, Aug 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I'm now the proud owner of a 3.2 1988 mondial cabriolet. Several owners in the north of England but fully documented 40 ish thousand miles on the clock.
    My 120 mile drive south went excellently with cruising mostly between 80 and 90. Oil pressure rock solid in the centre of the gauge and oil and water temperatures behaving impeccably.
    Couple of bits did catch my attention though.
    1 - the brakes. They start off with a good bite but 'fade' extremely quickly with the pedal sometimes travelling all the way to the floor which is slightly unnerving. Release the brake then pressing again gives renewed bite before fading out and the pedal travelling to the floor. Very odd.
    2- he electric aerial refuses to work!
    3- what does the button do top right of the console with the boot releases on??
    4 - intermittent belt squeal. I think from fan belt. But I'm planning on getting all belts replaced anyway.
    5 - it's awesome
    6 - it complements nicely the 365gt4 sat next to it in the garage! It has it for looks but the v12 sounds so much better!
    7- the petrol garage is all over the place below quarter full but I expect that this is normal.

2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The brake fade-then-revive problem could be a leak in a vacuum line to/from the booster.
    Antennae power wire probably vibrated loose. Look in the trunk - sorry, that's the boot for those of you across the pond - and check the underside of the antennae.
    PS: this "advice" may be correct for US cars but maybe not for UK cars!
    Pictures, please! You know, with scenic backgrounds like York Minster, Cheddar Gorge, Windsor Castle, the Cotswolds, etc.

3. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    First welcome to the Mondial family!

I also have a 88 3.2 Cab

1) Brakes are ABS Teves II, we share them with many vehicles like the Ford Thunderbird SC and Buick Reatta, the Reatta site has a great troubleshooting test to help sort your issues
    Reatta Data Page

2) Antenna switch may be dirty, with ignition off spray electrical contact cleaner through the top of the switch and work back and forth many times (50 100) matter of fact do all your switches this way then try it with ignition on

3) not sure what your are referring my top right switch is for right window?
    4) it squeals
    5) awesome!
    6) nice stablemate
    7) yep it moves around

4. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Congrats on the new car. Where are the pictures?

Issue 1 sounds like air in the system or the master cylinder going bad to me

5. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Get the brakes fixed. Our Mondial with ABS (no vacuum assist) will pop your eyeballs hauling down from triple digits time after time. The brakes were rated excellent with minimal fade by the car mags of the day. Your experience is not normal.

Congrats on your Mondial, you'll love it even if only 8 cylinders.

Give up on the fuel gauge, totally normal as you suspected.

Dave

6. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Thanks chaps brakes are the priority
    I'll get some pics over the forthcoming weeks

7. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
  8. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
  9. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    No idea what the top right button does on the first photo adjacent to the front bonnet.

10. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Based on the pictograph, I would guess a window lock out (safety) switch for the rear windows?

Regards,
    Jerry

11. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    And on the second photo the switch that looks like a folder??

12. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #12 soucorp, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Congrats on a lovely car!
    1) Your brakes need to be bled, sounds like you have air in them, also check for pad thickness and possible leak in system/master cylinder or tear in brake lines.

2) Ferrari dealers used different radios so don't go by the aerial button on your center console, it may not be hooked up, mine is not, its directly hooked up to the radio only when I select FM/AM does the antenna go up.

3) That button is for heat to the rear window, I believe only for coupes, not cabriolets with plastic windows. see this link: http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/The%20Documents/Owners%20Manual%20Mondial%203.2%201988%20US.pdf

4) The belt squeal is most likely from the AC belt, you just need a new one but since you are getting all new belts, no worries mate the squeals should all go away.

7) The fuel gauge does bounce back and forth when tank is below half, its from the sender unit/floater being all gum up from 25 years, give it a full tank and she's working accurately again.

C H E E R S and enjoy the ride!
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The folder button is for opening the glove box.

Congratulations on the new car. They are a wonderful all round automobile.

A picture of both cars together will be welcome :D

14. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    That is your rear window window lockout button when your top is down
    it prevents the rear window switches from working

15. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats! I'm just a few weeks ahead of you with my "new" 88 convertible and getting to know the ins and outs of the car (including that button).

My number one piece of advice for the new and uninitiated convertible owner - double check both B pillars are not catching on the lowered rear windows when folding the roof down. And then check again. And finally, check again. I see this is a common issue on here, but only found that out after I caught the drivers side B pillar myself. I was fortunate, the small damage caused to the rubber was just about repairable with some strong glue - replacements are only available in that shop at the end of the rainbow.

16. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Here is the red one e[​IMG]

17. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    And here is the blue one[​IMG]

18. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    So work done so far to the mondial includes
    Brakes bled and bleed nipple replaced 3 of 4 rounded off. Brakes now function correctly.
    Rear brake hoes replaced.
    Cam belts and tensioner bearing replaced -a lucky escape as one of the tensioner bearings had collapsed and the belt was loose.
    Rocker cover seals replaced.
    That's about it.
    Next up is for the 365 for rear brake overhaul prior to its mot. Considering getting the original interior re trimmed and there's a hesitation under acceleration the needs dialling out on the carbs. What fun!

19. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Obviously mean brake shoes not hoes. There's not so many hoes around here

20. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Are you certain no vacuum assist?

21. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    I used to like hoes....but have age enough not to notice.

22. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Yes, the t uses a hydraulic pump with an accumulator to provide hydraulic pedal assist instead of the traditional large vacuum chamber connected to the engine intake.

I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Dave