2 valve camsaft pullys | FerrariChat

2 valve camsaft pullys

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by zswbo, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zswbo

zswbo Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    has any one had or heard of camshaft pully failure, im in the process of doing the 3 year cambelt change on my mondial 8 2 valve, 9 years ago when i changed the belts i noticed the 4 cam pullys appeared a little worn, the teeth are in good shape but it looked like the belt had been biting into the pully , the piece of the pully that the belt does not run on appears to be approx a mil higher then the rest of the pully that the belt runs on,iv been monitering this over the years [ 6 years ago, 3 years ago and now ] and i cant realy see any change in the wear, however the teeth part of the pully seem to be a plastic substance bonded to the steel gear, does anyone know what the life span of these pullys are

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #2 MvT, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Life span of these have already passed in my humble opinion when these are the plastic ones. These are know to break after this age although they may look fine. I would not drive with these a single Mile or KM anymore to be honest. Old plastic has an expiry date as it ages over time.

I would get aluminium ones. They are pricey, however I would not risk my engine on these. I believe around 500GBP when I looked at them a year ago for a Mondial 8 at the time.

I believe from a QV they are the same..

3. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Really MvT they made plastic pully wheels on a Ferrari??? You can't be serious!!

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sorry for the poor phrasing they are partially from plastic, but the result stays the same :(

Ferrari changed it rapidly I guess as only the firts Mondials had these. Plastic/fiberglass.. It has no eternal lifespan if you ask me with the forces that is put on. In my search for a Mondial I have seen only one that had them and I saw what zswbo sees.

I read at the time somewhere (Ferrari life dot com I believe) that they break. Not the question if the break, but when. Let me see if I can find it again.

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Cannot find the post anymore

but I found this:
    New Cam Pulleys Ferrari 308 GTB GTS GT4 Mondial 8 QV Parts for Sale - DragTimes.com

New set of four billet aluminium cam shaft belt pullies for all 1974 - 1984 Ferrari 308s GT4s and Mondials. The original plastic pullies have a tenancy to break causing valvedamage. This complete set ofhigh quality reproductions are available for about the price of a single original!

6. zswbo

zswbo Rookie

Aug 11, 2013
    thanks very much for the input, the car has now covered 134.000kms, of which i have put on 34.000kms in the 9 years i have owned the car and every time i replace the cam belts i inspect these pullys,however i am not going to push my luck any further, getting ferrari parts to south africa is expensive but i guess its cheaper than having to rebuild a realy good engine
    thanks again